A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chimney pipe single wall?  (Read 251 times)

Offline stevon

• I Love Pizza!
Chimney pipe single wall?
« on: April 09, 2021, 03:28:50 PM »
Guys,

I'm not ready yet to flue vent my oven but I would like to order the parts before I need them. Most wood fire stove suppliers say that double wall is what is recommended, even for out side. The prices are pretty high for what they suggest. What adapter to oven top, what pipe and cap do you guys use? Is 6" too big? too small?
I'm thinking single wall stainless. Any thoughts? flue opening in oven is 5.5 or 6".

Stephen
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 03:54:07 PM by stevon »

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Chimney pipe single wall?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 04:27:18 PM »
Not sure what your long term enclosure plans are, but if you are going through a roof, definitely go double walled.

I would imagine the oven came with recommended chimney parts. Doesn't seem that's the case. I went with double walled duratech stainless double walled pipe. Everything else fits the pipe you pick. I see you are in San Diego. I would guess you need some kind of spark arrester at the top too. But for the pipe I selected, I got a base plate that the pipe just twists and locks onto, a cap, and a spark arrestor. Also, needed a part that is basically a roofing boot. I bought all of this through Northlineexpress.com. My pipe had a dent and they were quick and friendly to replace it.

Offline stevon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 04:52:09 PM »
Jon in Albany,

The oven did not come with instructions, just a bill of materials. Oven will never move and it will always be outside. The spark arrestor cap is a good point though, It will be close to a wood fence and neighbors next door. The overall pipe height is also a concern that I have not figured out yet. So far you are the only one who has replied, thanks buddy.  I'm just trying to save some money on the vent parts and looking into my options. Sometimes we forget out here in San Diego that the East coast isn't really ready for outdoor cooking! It's 70 to 80 degrees here year round! lol

Stephen
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 05:01:26 PM by stevon »

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 05:09:53 PM »
If it is low 20s and windy, it's less fun. But a lot of winter temps are perfect. The outside is a fridge. That makes it easy to manage toppings.

Online 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 05:28:08 PM »
My PizzaParty came with single wall pipe, however I did not go through a roof with it.
I don't know if you can go through a roof (legally or safely) with single wall pipe.

MY FGM 800B came with double wall pipe.
It goes through the roof.
You need 2" from roof material to the pipe. So what ever diameter the pipe is the hole in the roof needs to be 4" in diameter larger.
Need proper flashing on top to keep water out.

Here is pic of mine  -->  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=61877.msg621304#msg621304

Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline stevon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 01:13:43 AM »
02ebz06,

02ebz06, you can always run the single wall 6" through a double wall 7" setup in the future if you have to. Jon that is impressive! I thought I was crazy, seems that some snow doesn't slow down or phase you! Reminds me of when I was growing up in New Jersey and did some winter barbeques on a charcoal weber grill, neighbors thought I was nuts. If I do some sort of roof for my oven, it will be metal so I'm not too concerned about a double wall setup, adding an extra $200 in parts. Although double wall pipe would deal with the creation and condensation of acids and corrosion on single wall flues but with a short flue length of 2 to 3 feet, condensation probably won't be an issue. 
Only the slab is done, the stand and oven isn't even built yet! Thinking 6" flue will be good, larger will just let too much heat escape. Thanks for the insight, you obviously have some useful experience to share!

Stephen
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 02:01:18 AM by stevon »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 02:51:34 PM »
Triple wall through a roof, or a 4" wrap of masonry is code in most places.  So is 15' from combustible materials for outdoor flues. 

wordpress