A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: WFO oven opening size?  (Read 208 times)

Offline stevon

• I Love Pizza!
WFO oven opening size?
« on: April 13, 2021, 02:17:09 PM »
Guy's

I purchased a Dome Ovens DIY Kit that has a 38 inch floor and opening door of 16" W x 13" H so actual opening looks a little smaller. Is this too small to use? I was thinking of expanding the oven for a wider opening, but this might be a bad idea. Heat loss and structural integrity may be a problem doing a modification to the design. Am I crazy to think about doing this? is 14 inch actual oven casting opening too small to use?

Stephen
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 02:21:45 PM by stevon »

Online 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: WFO oven opening size?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 03:00:11 PM »
If you only have a 14" opening, you are limited to about a 12" peel and pizzas.
Can you return it and get one with a larger opening ?

Not saying it can't be done, but I think it would be a risky proposition modifying it, plus getting a door for your modified opening.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 03:13:04 PM »
I'm with Bruce. If you are looking to modify it before it is installed, it probably isn't the oven for you. Also, depending on the floor thickness, a fire brick might be be the same. Then those would either need to be cut down or shimmed up.

Didnt want to say anything and don't know if returning is an option, but in one of your other threads, Tom mentioned that these weren't great ovens. Tom knows his stuff.

Offline stevon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 03:24:54 PM »
 02ebz06,

A return with me paying shipping from San Diego to Florida is possible but what then? not only that cost but larger kits start at $2500 so I would be adding approximately $3000 + to my project, so for me that would not be possible/practical. People do use wood fired ovens as small as 19" I've read about but I have no experience one way or the other, Pizza oven doors for sale are mostly 18' or less. There must be a reason for this small size, I'm guessing its heat loss. If I did "cut open" and modify the oven design, a custom door would have to be fabricated but the one that comes with the kit is just a single piece of steel. Not such an exotic part to make.  With modification  the cooking floor would also be widened with my but is any of this required for comfortable and easy cooking? that's the real question, measure twice, cement once.

Stephen
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 04:27:04 PM by stevon »

Offline stevon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 03:38:46 PM »
Jon,

Thanks for all of your help and advice, a return is not an option for me, want to use what I have. Why did Tom say "weren't great ovens" too little thermal mass? they crumble when used? take forever to heat up? cook unevenly? Did not want to start from single firebricks mortared in one at a time. Is that the only way besides spending $3k or more?, confused  ???

Stephen

"Didnt want to say anything and don't know if returning is an option, but in one of your other threads, Tom mentioned that these weren't great ovens. Tom knows his stuff."

Online 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 03:50:47 PM »
I believe heat loss is the reason for the small doors as you stated.

I have an FGM 800B and the door opening on it is only about 17" so I use a 16" peel.
The door is made of cast iron.

The way I see it, one of the most complicated parts of modifying it would be the chimney area.
I guess you have the benefit of it being a kit so you could get all your additional parts made and see how it would fit/look before actually mortaring it all together.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline stevon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 04:24:46 PM »
02ebz06,

Yes it seems that 14" actual size opening to work through is just too small. After modifications the chimney opening can be cemented with refractory motor and some fire brick pieces, not too concerned with that right now. I can't believe that this oven is sold as the DIY "large oven kit" by Dome Ovens. I think the problem is that I have no local WFOs to look at and better yet to actually "test" cooking in. Then I could make at least a somewhat informed choice on what to design/build as my target. I just don't know what to ask so I will only get random answers to compile my decisions from. Thanks for putting up with all my "ignorant" questions, you are all helping me immensely!

Stephen

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 06:46:42 PM »
There is some confusion. I think Tom mentioned Brickwood ovens in his post. That's what you had mentioned in an earlier post. Here you are talking about Dome Ovens. Different oven companies. I donít want to speak for Tom and donít have any idea what his thoughts are on the Dome Ovens kit.

A lot of ovens have vents/chimney designs that let a lot of the heat out. Could be that, could be something else. I don't know anything anything about either brand.

I'm not sure what your plans are, but if you are altering the oven, make sure you have a way to keep water out.

Offline stevon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 08:30:03 PM »
jon,

I measured the actual opening today and it is 16". Probably should stop doing my usual "Germanic" over engineering of everything and spend what's left of my energy in just getting the dam thing done!

Stephen

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 02:45:36 PM »
16" should be fine, but you should be able to trim the lower edges a little without changing the performance, maybe 1/2" to 3/4" on either side extending up and feathering out at about 6".

Offline stevon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 03:47:05 PM »
Tscarborough,

I think I will just use the 16 inch opening as is. I think the kit is made in Brasile, pamphlet is in Portuguese "Manual De Montagem" for the Forno Caipira DDC 1000. The cost was $1499.00 + $116.18 tax, total= $1625.18 with free shipping.

Stephen
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 04:08:25 PM by stevon »

wordpress