A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Joe’s Pizza NYC dough and sauce.  (Read 28092 times)

Offline wilson502

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Joe’s Pizza NYC dough and sauce.
« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2022, 05:21:41 PM »
Looks great!

Sugar will make it brown quicker and easier especially at high temps in an Ooni.

Sugar is more for helping to brown in home ovens where you can't get super high temps.

Thanks NYSS, I typically turn my oven down to the "Ooni ultra low" setting before putting in the pizza. My steel is usually around 700F-750F or so when I put the pizza in. I find with the steel plate I can cook the pizza on the screen the entire time as the heat transfer from the steel cooks the underneath of the pizza well enough to not need to take it off the screen.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 01:32:31 AM by wilson502 »

Offline Chronic mole

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2022, 08:34:32 PM »
Here is a recent video of Joe himself making his pizza step by step. Edit - I'm a bit confused now - at the end of the video he says this location has no affiliation with the one in NY... Is this a completely different restaurant?  ???

« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 08:40:48 PM by Chronic mole »

Online RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2022, 01:55:14 PM »
Here is a recent video of Joe himself making his pizza step by step. Edit - I'm a bit confused now - at the end of the video he says this location has no affiliation with the one in NY... Is this a completely different restaurant?  ???

The place here is in California. And that's not the same Joe from Joe's Pizza in NYC. There's no affiliation at all. Theoretically a fairly similar pizza, though. It looks pretty good to me.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Chronic mole

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2022, 03:27:49 PM »
Yeah it does look really good.

Offline TheNorthPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2022, 09:05:01 PM »
Well, you got the All Trumps part right...

Not same day dough.  Cold fermented for at least 12 hours and thrown out after 48.

100% All Trumps
57% Water
2.7% Salt
1.5% Sugar
0.5% Fresh Yeast

Pizza Sauce

It is Nina Tomatoes but not the same ones as the Nina's Costco.  Joe's uses D.O.P., Costco's is either San Marzano "style" or just not D.O.P.  I don't remember, but trust me - I verified that they were different about a year ago. 

Run the can through a hand food mill

Stir in sugar which is more or less 3T sugar = 28oz can

It's very basic.  What's great is the well-doneness that comes from baking at 625. And the cheese to sauce ration is great - it's like 3/4lb for 18" and a just full 8oz ladle of sauce.  Hard to duplicate that in most home ovens...

What temp do you cook the pizza at? I have a stand-up wood fired oven at home, was thinking to go 700-750 on a pizza screen to ensure the bottom doesn’t get too burnt.

Online scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2022, 08:26:56 AM »
Im not Andrew, but I would go no hotter than roughly 600 for NY style pizza. It also depends on where you are measuring it.  Measured in the middle or the front or the back of the stone, measured at the back wall,  what the dial is set to... they all mean different things in different ovens.   Try dropping on a floor thats 600.. but again  thats hard to quantify, because with one type of stone that is too much, and with another its not enough.   

The true way to speak about bakes is in bake time.  Most NY pizzas are in the 6-8 minute range with malted flour and the classic look. Some are even in the 10's but Joe's is on the faster side.

Online RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2022, 11:04:47 AM »
Im not Andrew, but I would go no hotter than roughly 600 for NY style pizza.
I agree, but it does seem that some of the newer generation spots are pushing the envelope on heat with the new Pizzamaster electric ovens, although they are also going higher on the dough hydration, it seems. Do you think that NY style pizza is evolving into something different, or just adjusting to new standards and new technology? Or neither? Sorry to hit you with such a big broad question. It's just something I've been wondering about for a while.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline TheNorthPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2022, 08:02:04 PM »
Im not Andrew, but I would go no hotter than roughly 600 for NY style pizza. It also depends on where you are measuring it.  Measured in the middle or the front or the back of the stone, measured at the back wall,  what the dial is set to... they all mean different things in different ovens.   Try dropping on a floor thats 600.. but again  thats hard to quantify, because with one type of stone that is too much, and with another its not enough.   

The true way to speak about bakes is in bake time.  Most NY pizzas are in the 6-8 minute range with malted flour and the classic look. Some are even in the 10's but Joe's is on the faster side.

Thanks, I have a infrared thermometer to measure the stone so it can help to identify what part of the stone to cook on, pretty consistent heat throughout the oven. Appreciate the feedback on the temp, ill start it at 600 and see how it turns out, was trying to decide if I should use the screen underneath.

Offline TheNorthPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2022, 08:04:13 PM »
Well, you got the All Trumps part right...

Not same day dough.  Cold fermented for at least 12 hours and thrown out after 48.

100% All Trumps
57% Water
2.7% Salt
1.5% Sugar
0.5% Fresh Yeast

Pizza Sauce

It is Nina Tomatoes but not the same ones as the Nina's Costco.  Joe's uses D.O.P., Costco's is either San Marzano "style" or just not D.O.P.  I don't remember, but trust me - I verified that they were different about a year ago. 

Run the can through a hand food mill

Stir in sugar which is more or less 3T sugar = 28oz can

It's very basic.  What's great is the well-doneness that comes from baking at 625. And the cheese to sauce ration is great - it's like 3/4lb for 18" and a just full 8oz ladle of sauce.  Hard to duplicate that in most home ovens...

Has anyone yet to crack or get close to the Totonos dough recipe? Figured I’d ask someone who worked at Joes that may have a good idea.

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2022, 02:00:56 AM »
This site's AWESOME, this thread has me going in a completely new direction for my dough. I've been using 65% hydration for so long now I was like WHUT! at how easy it was to ball up when I made this tonight. I did screw up converting fresh to ADY and only used .21%.  But that's what I get for making my 1st batch before I read thru more than the 1st page of this thread lol.  You guys are all awesome, so much knowledge and testing out things.  Since I used what I just read was about half of the ADY I should have. Would leaving it in the fridge for 36'ish hours work itself out? I'm going to go make a 2nd batch right now with the proper amount of ADY, but I'm curious if I should even bother with the balls I made earlier.   

Online scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2022, 09:49:44 AM »
I agree, but it does seem that some of the newer generation spots are pushing the envelope on heat with the new Pizzamaster electric ovens, although they are also going higher on the dough hydration, it seems. Do you think that NY style pizza is evolving into something different, or just adjusting to new standards and new technology? Or neither? Sorry to hit you with such a big broad question. It's just something I've been wondering about for a while.

There have always been 2 types of classic NY pizza... the slice shop style (Joes, B Bens, Rays) and the sit down coal style (Patsys, Johns, Totono's, Lombardi's, Grimaldes etc).

Some might lean toward one of the 2 classic styles or the other.  I don't think they have changed anything other than just using better ingredients and better dough formulations, maybe with wild yeast or preferments, but most are still doing direct dough like all the classic spots have done forever.  Its all still NY to me.

Offline TheNorthPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2022, 05:04:08 PM »
Thx for the recipe Andrew. I took a stab at this recipe in my Ooni Koda 16 with a steel plate replacement. I subbed Honey for sugar and used 0.25% IDY instead of Fresh yeast. I used Graincraft Power Flour as All Trumps is not available around here and Power Flour performs exceptionally well. I think maybe for this particular recipe I should swap in my stock stone as its cooked a bit more than a typical Joes pizza. Either way came out very tasty.

What size pizza screen did you use for this?