A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: More flavour in dough  (Read 459502 times)

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
Re: More flavour in dough
« Reply #1080 on: January 14, 2015, 03:27:15 PM »
Norma: Those pizzas look great!  I am a disciple of ice water mixing.  I find it creates a great crust and consistent as the ticks on the clock.   Walter
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #1081 on: January 14, 2015, 03:51:58 PM »
Now that's what I'm talkin about!

That looks fantastic!

Norma: Those pizzas look great!  I am a disciple of ice water mixing.  I find it creates a great crust and consistent as the ticks on the clock.   Walter

Thanks guys!

Walter,

That pizza I posted all of the photos of wasn't using the cold water method, except the one I took with my cell phone.  I will post some of the photos using the really cold water later. 

Norma

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #1082 on: January 14, 2015, 04:27:54 PM »
I lot of experience goes into the simple perfection of your pies Norma.  Kudos!
Jeff

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1083 on: January 14, 2015, 05:50:59 PM »
I lot of experience goes into the simple perfection of your pies Norma.  Kudos!

Thanks Jeff!  I am still learning weekly how things can change from one batch of dough to another, and from one pizza to another.  I don't really like perfectly round pizzas for market.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1084 on: January 14, 2015, 06:00:26 PM »
These photos are from the pizzas made with the regular boardwalk style doughs that were mixed on Sunday.  If someone didn't read about Sunday, the market temperatures were only about 37 degrees F when the dough batches were mixed, and the final dough temperatures were about 56 degrees F, and falling until one batch was cut, scaled, balled, oiled and put into the plastic bags.  The GM Full Strength flour was used for these pizzas. 

The first pizza out of the oven is the one with the lighter rim crust.  The darker rim crust was for a customer that wanted a pizza with a darker rim crust.  It can be seen there were fermentation bubbles in the skins even though such a low final dough temperature happened.  I did heat up each of the dough balls for at least 15 minutes in the heating cabinet, besides letting them sit on the bench.  The photo of me with the snowman is just for fun, since it was so cold at market when the dough batches were mixed.  It almost felt like it could have snowed inside market on Sunday.  :-D

The 2 slices of pizza I tried were tasty in the crust.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1085 on: January 14, 2015, 06:04:28 PM »
Norma

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1086 on: January 14, 2015, 06:44:33 PM »
As always, Norma, those pies look great!

I haven't seen Tony's book yet..but the 00 flour he sells..is it a different type of 00 than  Caputo red or blue? I thought that 00 only works well at temperatures above 700, and tends to bake up softer. So I may be misunderstanding something, because these are NY pies baked with 00, in a deck oven..in the 600's.. is that right? Is there another flour mixed in..Full Strength perhaps? Or is Tony's 00 more like the  00 Metro flour that Capt Bob is using to great effect on his BS. Or did I just plain goof up in following this thread?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1087 on: January 14, 2015, 08:33:17 PM »
As always, Norma, those pies look great!

I haven't seen Tony's book yet..but the 00 flour he sells..is it a different type of 00 than  Caputo red or blue? I thought that 00 only works well at temperatures above 700, and tends to bake up softer. So I may be misunderstanding something, because these are NY pies baked with 00, in a deck oven..in the 600's.. is that right? Is there another flour mixed in..Full Strength perhaps? Or is Tony's 00 more like the  00 Metro flour that Capt Bob is using to great effect on his BS. Or did I just plain goof up in following this thread?

Jersey Pie Boy,

Thanks! 

Tony's 00 flour isn't like Caputo red or blue bags.  It is milled fine like Caputo, but it has a higher protein than regular 00 flours.  If you want to read where I asked about Tony's 00 flour, this is where I posted about a question about it.  Peter also asked some questions.  http://www.thepizzabible.com/posts/a-few-questions-about-your-new-oo-flour 

My deck oven temperatures are about 530-545 degrees F, all depending on what part of the deck is measured.

No other flour was mixed in for the dough I made with Tony's 00 flour.  I really don't know what the 00 Metro flour is like that Capt Bob uses for his BS.

This is where you can purchase Tony's 00 flour if you are interested.   http://shop.fgpizza.com/Suggestions-From-The-Pizza-Bible.html  I see it out of stock right now.  As you can see Tony Gemignani's CA Artisan flour-Type 00 is expensive and that price does not include shipping.

Norma

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1088 on: January 15, 2015, 06:27:03 AM »
Thanks Norma, I appreciate the info.  Capt Bob's Metro flour doesn't seem to be widely available..I think maybe it's a fairly new product..as least in the US?? . I spoke to the major NJ distributor of  Caputo flours, who sent me to another place in the Bronx that he thought would have it. They'd never heard of it.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1089 on: January 15, 2015, 09:52:05 AM »
Thanks Norma, I appreciate the info.  Capt Bob's Metro flour doesn't seem to be widely available..I think maybe it's a fairly new product..as least in the US?? . I spoke to the major NJ distributor of  Caputo flours, who sent me to another place in the Bronx that he thought would have it. They'd never heard of it.

Jersey Pie Boy,

Thanks for telling me about the Caputo Metro Flour.  I am invited to the Caputo Pizza Summit in NYC for Monday and Tuesday.  Caputo is supposed to be introducing a new Caputo NY style flour there.  I am trying to see if I can attend the Caputo Pizza Summit in NYC on Monday.  Maybe if I can attend I can find out more about the Caputo Metro Flour.  I don't even know if the Caputo Metro flour and the Caputo NY style flour are the same flours or not.

Norma

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1090 on: January 15, 2015, 11:00:01 AM »
Norma, that's great!  It  just might be the same thing. Wish I could be there see it myself, but I'm sure you'll report back. Capt Bob's descriptiions and photos of his Metro pies are mouth-watering. (is it too soon for lunch?  ;))

I was doing a little reading about the Metro flour, and iif I understood it correctly, the name "metro" doesn't suggest big city use..it's rather named for the "pizza by the meter" that's becoming (or already is?) popular in Italy..these really huge pies, that would seem to have to be very strong based on how I saw it being handled in an online video.

Looking forward to your reports!

Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1091 on: January 15, 2015, 11:24:02 AM »
Norma, that's great!  It  just might be the same thing. Wish I could be there see it myself, but I'm sure you'll report back. Capt Bob's descriptiions and photos of his Metro pies are mouth-watering. (is it too soon for lunch?  ;))

I was doing a little reading about the Metro flour, and iif I understood it correctly, the name "metro" doesn't suggest big city use..it's rather named for the "pizza by the meter" that's becoming (or already is?) popular in Italy..these really huge pies, that would seem to have to be very strong based on how I saw it being handled in an online video.

Looking forward to your reports!

Bill

Bill,

As I said I have no idea how the Caputo “00” Pizza A Metro flour does for a NY style pizza.  http://caputoflour.com/portfolio_item/00-pizza-a-metro/ I don't see any new NY Caputo flour on their website.  Don (Donjo911) tried the Caputo Metro flour on this thread.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30965.0   I don't know if the Caputo Metro flour is better suited for pizza like roman style pizza, or some pizza by the meter like you posted.  Maybe John Conklin would know more if you sent him a PM.

I saw some of CaptBob's pies at Reply 101 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,34858.msg359015.html#msg359015 using the Caputo Metro flour.  They do look delicious!  :P Bob used his BS at 710 degrees F for those pizzas.

I will see what I can find out.  Maybe another member heard of the Caputo NY style flour.

Norma

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #1092 on: January 15, 2015, 11:24:41 AM »

I have to give credit to Don (Donjo911) for turning me on to the Caputo Metro. We made a pie over at his house with it in his oven at 550f and we really liked the way it turned out. We thought it might be ideal in the BS and that seems to be the case at least for me. I'm not sure where Don got his but I got mine from
BrickOvenBaker.com as they had it in smaller repacks because I just wanted to try it without buying a whole bag. It was expensive though with the shipping but I am enjoying this hobby immensely. Brick Oven lists the protein at 13.5 on their website.......

I think I'll order some of Tony's flour to try when it's back in stock......
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 11:30:04 AM by CaptBob »
Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1093 on: January 15, 2015, 11:26:05 AM »
I have to give credit to Don (Donjo911) for turning me on to the Caputo Metro. We made a pie over at his house with it in his oven at 550f and we really liked the way it turned out. We thought it might be ideal in the BS and that seems to be the case at least for me. I'm not sure where Don got his but I got mine from
BrickOvenBaker.com as they had it in smaller repacks because I just wanted to try it without buying a whole bag. It was expensive though with the shipping but I am enjoying this hobby immensely. Brick Oven lists the protein at 13.5 on their website.......

Thanks for the information Bob!  Your pies and Don's look very tasty!

Norma

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #1094 on: January 15, 2015, 11:30:37 AM »
Thank you Norma! You're the best!
Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1095 on: January 15, 2015, 04:55:12 PM »
I asked Tony G. if he was going to be doing a demo with the Caputo NY flour dough and pizzas on Monday.  Tony told me he would be doing a demo on Tuesday.  I then emailed Fred Mortati to see if someone would be doing a demo with the Caputo NY flour, and pizzas on Monday.  I also asked if the Caputo Pizza Metro flour is same as the new Caputo NY style flour.

This what Fred answered:

It is new and it is different than the “OO” Pizza A Metro. John Arena and Giulio Adriani will also do the demo with Tony to show their styles.  Tuesday is the NY style demo.

I guess I will miss the demo.  :(

Norma

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #1096 on: January 15, 2015, 06:24:05 PM »
This discussion about Caputo Metro has made me curious as to how versatile it is. Since it's "00" milled for lower temperatures I think that the next time I make pizza I'll try one at around 600 or so to see what happens with a lower temp and longer bake. Then I'll try one at 800 for a Nearlypolitan style just to see what happens.

Norma....as our chief mad scientist I wondered if you had ever tried small amounts of either wheat germ, buckwheat, or dark rye flour in your experiments. I read an excerpt from the Pizzeria Mozza book where they were using very small amounts of wheat germ and dark rye in their dough. I think I'll give that a try as well at some point.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:44:21 PM by CaptBob »
Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1097 on: January 15, 2015, 07:33:01 PM »
This discussion about Caputo Metro has made me curious as to how versatile it is. Since it's "00" milled for lower temperatures I think that the next time I make pizza I'll try one at around 600 or so to see what happens with a lower temp and longer bake. Then I'll try one at 800 for a Nearlypolitan style at maybe 800 just to see what happens.

Norma....as our chief mad scientist I wondered if you had ever tried small amounts of either wheat germ, buckwheat, or dark rye flour in your experiments. I read an excerpt from the Pizzeria Mozza book where they were using very small amounts of wheat germ and dark rye in their dough. I think I'll give that a try as well at some point.

Bob,

You bugger!  >:D You would have to ask about using those ingredients in a pizza dough wouldn't you.  I did use wheat germ different times in a Mellow Mushroom dough.  One formulation is at Reply 85 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg153527.html#msg153527 I also tried rye flour and wheat germ in this thread.  One of my failed attempts was at reply 50 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16033.msg159427.html#msg159427  If you want to see the formulation Peter set forth it is at Reply 44 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16033.msg158880.html#msg158880  I tried all kinds of stuff with Caputo flour for my deck oven at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17128.0.html

I don't even recall all of the crazy experiments I tried with different ingredients, but can't find half of them that I do recall.  I might be searching all day, or a few days for all of them.  :-D I think you will get the gist from some of the above posts.  :P

Norma

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #1098 on: January 15, 2015, 08:21:50 PM »
Thank you Norma! I got busy this afternoon and didn't have time to search. I'll read all of those that you linked.

Thanks again!
Bob

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1099 on: January 16, 2015, 12:26:02 AM »
Norma,

Go see Tony.

He's one of the most helpful and nicest guys I have met. Not many pizza operators I have met here in SF are willing to share some of their knowledge but Mr. Gemignani is an exception.

Definitely worth the trip for you.  :)

Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

wordpress