A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Joj's NY Style Learning Thread (Waring WPO500)  (Read 3475 times)

Offline pwc123

• Fine tuning forever
Re: Joj's NY Style Learning Thread (Waring WPO500)
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2021, 12:46:35 PM »
Pretty satisfied with my last two bakes and I was just about ready to give up on it.

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2021, 06:24:16 PM »
That looks great!!!!!!!

Offline pwc123

• Fine tuning forever
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2021, 07:54:32 PM »
I'm up to an almost outrageous 6% sugar, but results have been good.

Offline Joj

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2021, 12:35:55 PM »
Although my pace of pizza making has slowed (mostly due to the effect it was having on my waistline :)), from time to time my thoughts drift to thinking this oven could be better than what we are experiencing.

I saw this review on webrestaurantstore that shed some new light on it for me. Spitballing here but I wonder if the wonky temp readings/unbalanced heat could be improved by tinkering with the probe for the temperature control knob.

Offline pwc123

• Fine tuning forever
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2021, 12:39:41 PM »
Although my pace of pizza making has slowed (mostly due to the effect it was having on my waistline :)), from time to time my thoughts drift to thinking this oven could be better than what we are experiencing.

I saw this review on webrestaurantstore that shed some new light on it for me. Spitballing here but I wonder if the wonky temp readings/unbalanced heat could be improved by tinkering with the probe for the temperature control knob.
Funny enough, Waring sent me a replacement oven that arrived today after I contacted them about the uneven heating. I am not optimistic this one will be different though based on our discussions.

Offline Joj

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2021, 11:41:38 AM »
Did a 3hr same day dough, RT ferment (74 degrees in my house). Did not have high hopes as I came home from work and really wanted to make a pie. That being said it exceeded my expectations.

Dough formula below.

- Flour, malt, yeast, sugar in first
- Added water, mixed by hand until there was no raw flour
- Rest 15 min
- Mixed in salt then oil
- Hand kneaded for ~2min.
- Bench rest for 30 min then balled

Baked in the Waring, set to max temp for 1hr preheat, both elements on. Launched when my standalone oven thermometer was at 550. Did NOT use a screen this time, launched from the peel. 16oz dough ball and I only have a 14in peel so it was a thicker pie than usual.

Shut the bottom element off after 4 minutes and pulled the pie after 7min.
Obviously lacking in depth of flavor but the crust had the eggshell crisp, color (I would hope so with all the malt and sugar), and soft inside that I and been seeking.

Taking a step back for a little bit seems to have been helpful

Offline Joj

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2021, 11:46:15 AM »

Offline pwc123

• Fine tuning forever
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2021, 12:21:10 PM »
Underside
https://imgur.com/a/nhRcCdM
Wow, night and day difference without the screen in terms of the crust. That makes me sad since it entirely eliminates my option of 18" pies.

Good work!

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2021, 10:45:25 PM »
You say you turned the Max Heat on for preheat for 1 hour.  But you did not say what the temp was after 1 hour as it makes no difference where you put the thermostat setting above 650 F   I doubt the oven can get higher in 1 hour.

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2021, 10:49:27 PM »
Wow, night and day difference without the screen in terms of the crust. That makes me sad since it entirely eliminates my option of 18" pies.

Good work!
I have been working with screens recently to make 18 inch pies.  I am finding it lengthens the time about 2 minutes but I find the crust not much different at all.  I have upped the oven to 650 instead of 550-600.    Top cooks fine either way with grande.  1.5 -2 hour preheat

Offline pwc123

• Fine tuning forever
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2021, 11:09:18 PM »
I have been working with screens recently to make 18 inch pies.  I am finding it lengthens the time about 2 minutes but I find the crust not much different at all.  I have upped the oven to 650 instead of 550-600.    Top cooks fine either way with grande.  1.5 -2 hour preheat
I also use Grande and have two of these ovens. Both units could benefit from stronger top heat judging only on the process I've been using. I don't know whether the distance is too far or if the internal thermometer placement is limiting the output. I couldn't even guess what temperature the top element produces, but it's a fraction of 840 degrees and weaker than a broiler in a standard home oven based on methods I've tried to date.

I can run the top element on full blast for 10 minutes or more without burning the cheese or meaningfully browning the top crust, even with 5% sugar in the dough.

I generally place the pie in on a screen and then turn off the bottom element and max out the top only, but perhaps that doesn't allow the top element to reach it's potential since I preheat at 650. Maybe I could benefit from the max preheat as well. I'm not quite ready to admit defeat and have a few more things to experiment with, including ditching the screen.

This was my latest pie:

Offline naval2006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2021, 07:24:38 AM »
My oven is not WPO500 but the same type and similar issues. So last night I decided to try out something different to get the real NY pizza colour on top. I set bottom at 500 and top at 620.  After 45 minutes I tossed pepperoni pie on stone for two minutes.  Pulled it out and placed a 2 inch high pan in oven and pizza on a screen on the pan. Pizza was 4 inches away from top burner.  Left it for 4 minutes and I got great colouring, mozza melted but not burned and great pepperoni char. 

Anyway pie had a very good bottom char but a bit too tender, not enough undercarriage for a NY style.  However, it wasnít as chewy as we are used in this type of ovens.  So next Friday Iím going to give it a try with 3/4 minutes on bottom and the Iíll raise the pie. Dough was 65% hydration,2% sugar, no DM. The cheese had some leopard spots but it was stringy which is key in my opinion.

Sorry no pictures but I finished reading thread almost at the time I baked so no time. But definitely will do it next time for my 2 cents. Cheers,

Alex

wordpress