A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Why so little yeast in poolish?  (Read 317 times)

Offline cybone62

• I Love Pizza!
Why so little yeast in poolish?
« on: May 13, 2021, 07:13:33 AM »
I have been making a traditional dough for years using 1.7% ADY in my recipe.  I found this poolish recipe on the web which calls for so little yeast that I can't believe it will work.  Is this a misprint?
Night before, mix 300g flour, 300g water and .6g dried yeast.  Cover & let proof overnight at room temp.
Next morning, add 330g flour, 70g water and 14g salt to the poolish and let it proof 8-10 hours til doubled until time to use.
Is .09% yeast enough to raise the dough?  (I know there's a baker joke in there.)

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
Re: Why so little yeast in poolish?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 08:06:15 AM »
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 08:10:16 AM »
It ought to work.  I make a poolish with 300g flour, 300g water, and 0.4g fresh CY,  It's normally ready in about 12 hours at RT.  Using a factor of 3 for converting between fresh and dried yeast, that ought to come to about 0.13g IDY, so maybe already a lot, will probably be finished much faster than mine (depending on temperature).

You want to catch it as it has maximized in expansion and is just about to start falling again.  It will be full of bubbles too.  It's easy to test, make a smaller size say 200g and play with the yeast amount until you figure out exactly how much you need and at what temperature for the poolish to fit into your daily life.  It won't take too many tries to dial in.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 12:27:38 PM »
I have been making a traditional dough for years using 1.7% ADY in my recipe.  I found this poolish recipe on the web which calls for so little yeast that I can't believe it will work.  Is this a misprint?
Night before, mix 300g flour, 300g water and .6g dried yeast.  Cover & let proof overnight at room temp.
Next morning, add 330g flour, 70g water and 14g salt to the poolish and let it proof 8-10 hours til doubled until time to use.
Is .09% yeast enough to raise the dough?  (I know there's a baker joke in there.)
cybone62,

I often cite these two articles that pertain to preferments, including poolish:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040814193817/cafemeetingplace.com/archives/food3_apr2004.htm

https://web.archive.org/web/20050829015510/www.cafemeetingplace.com/archives/food4_dec2004.htm

You might take note of Chart A in the first article to get an idea as to how much yeast is needed for a poolish.

Peter

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress