A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Shakey's sauce recipe??  (Read 212928 times)

Offline Zing

Re: Shakey's sauce recipe??
« Reply #220 on: February 23, 2017, 11:25:15 PM »
Dextrose is a white powder made from corn. It is a simple sugar. It is often sold in health foods stores in the USA.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #221 on: February 24, 2017, 08:31:30 AM »
Dextrose is a very popular form of sugar for a vast array of applications. It is about 25% less sweet than ordinary table sugar (sucrose), as can be seen in the table at http://owlsoft.com/pdf_docs/WhitePaper/Rel_Sweet.pdf. It is also pure glucose, whereas sucrose is a di-saccharide composed of glucose and fructose. While no doubt there are applications where dextrose is a good choice, the cynical side of me leads me to believe that some food processors use dextrose because many, if not most, people do not know that dextrose is a form of sugar. So, they do not blink when they see it listed in an ingredients statement. From what I have read, dextrose costs much more than an equal weight of table sugar, so I would think that there must be benefits to justify the higher cost of the dextrose.

Peter

Offline jenosmaverick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #222 on: February 24, 2017, 09:25:13 AM »
thanks for the info zing and pete! Hmmmm so can i substitute sugar instead? I'll be trying this recipe tom. and i might try the red novermber recipe aswell i just don't have a micorwave to do the MAE procedure.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #223 on: February 24, 2017, 10:02:45 AM »
thanks for the info zing and pete! Hmmmm so can i substitute sugar instead? I'll be trying this recipe tom. and i might try the red novermber recipe aswell i just don't have a micorwave to do the MAE procedure.
Kevin,

Yes, I believe that you can use sugar instead. Just use an amount of sugar that is about 25% more than the dextrose, by weight.

Peter

Offline jenosmaverick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #224 on: February 25, 2017, 06:24:23 AM »
While not 100% there yet, this is our in-progress recipe for a clone of the bag-in-a-box sauce currently in use at Shakey's:

20 oz (by weight) SuperDolce Super Sweet, Super Heavy Pizza Sauce (Stanislaus Food Products, Beautiful Downtown Modesto, CA)
1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
1/2 teaspoon basil leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
4 Tablespoons dextrose
3 Tablespoons Michele Chiarlo  Barbera D'Asti  Le Orme wine
1/8 cup water

The water, minced onion, basil and garlic are mixed in a saucepan and cooked until the dried onion is translucent. After letting the mixture cool, the wine, ground oregano, and dextrose is added and stirred. Finally, the pizza sauce is added to the saucepan and everything is thoroughly mixed. The mixture is then placed in a quart-size reclosable plastic storage bag and left in the refrigerator for two days, being periodically agitated by hand to mix the ingredients.

Did this Shakey's copycat today and it went great! There's really a similarity betwwen the two! Though for me Shakey's here have a more saltier taste than the recipe we made. But then again the Sauce is really good and now will be ny go to Red Sauce! Many thanks to all those who contributed for this recipe :D

Offline jenosmaverick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #225 on: February 25, 2017, 06:34:39 AM »
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/425x319q90/922/lgIYzp.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/239x319q50/924/bTeDx4.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/239x319q90/922/QGq9vG.jpg

Pics of the pizza we made. The crust still needs abit of adjustment need to lower our yeast and salt contents and it's good to go :D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:23:02 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline nsxbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #226 on: February 25, 2017, 09:19:31 PM »
Here's a clone from BigOven

Offline jenosmaverick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #227 on: February 26, 2017, 03:49:58 AM »
Forgot to ask how long is the lifspan of the sauce? Wouldn't it be shorter since the sauce wasn't cooked? And is it better at the chiller or freezer? Thanks!

Kevin,

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #228 on: March 21, 2017, 03:56:33 PM »
Well, as I stated in a post last year, I made a trip to Oroville, CA recently (March 12, 2017) and had some Shakey's pizza for the first time in almost 3 years.  This is my third time dining at this Shakey's, and of the 3 that I have visited in the last decade (this one, Anaheim, and Hawaii), this is my favorite.  Not only is the architecture and decor more reminiscent of the old-style Shakey's Ye Old Public House, they still use the original deck ovens to cook their pizzas, not the new conveyor ovens that every chain is so in love with. 

I tried to pay particular attention to the sauce flavor profile.  What stuck out for me were 3 things: garlic, black pepper, and red pepper.  The pizzas on this visit seemed sweeter than what I remembered from my last excursions, but I think that was coming more from the crust than the sauce.  However, I still think they probably use a fair amount of sugar or corn syrup in the current sauce.  As for red wine, I seriously doubt that is or ever was an ingredient.  Maybe there are some flavor notes that can be mimicked by using red wine in a home-made cheater's sauce, like  using semolina in a Chicago deep-dish dough to mimic certain characteristics of those recipes.  At any rate, I have never detected anything that would suggest a red wine flavor (and I doubt Shakey's would have let high school and college kids handle wine).

-ME
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:29:26 PM by Mad_Ernie »
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #229 on: March 21, 2017, 05:01:12 PM »
Enlarged photos of Shakey's pizzas.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #230 on: March 22, 2017, 01:27:41 PM »
Enlarged photos of Shakey's pizzas.

Thanks Pete-zza!  ;D
Let them eat pizza.

Offline jenosmaverick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #231 on: March 23, 2017, 09:47:32 AM »
woah nice pics!! wish they served that kind of pizza here aswell haha.. the topping are huge  :-D :-D :-D

Offline cynara

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #232 on: June 20, 2017, 05:45:04 PM »
Hi-- I'm new here, but old in real life. Shakey's was the first (restaurant) pizza I ever tasted. Back in late 60s/early 70s. I also worked there in the late 70s. I'm not going to be much help, I'm sure, but I do remember seeing huge cans of pizza sauce in the storeroom, labeled Hunts (not 100% sure--it could have been Heinz). Thing is, they were old sauces that were left over. They were labeled with the company's name, but under that they said "Shakey's Pizza Sauce #..." I'm pretty sure there was a #54 and maybe something in the 70s. The sauce changed many times over the years, but who knows--maybe the Hunts or Heinz company would be able to help.

Btw, the sauce I remember was sweeter--like a tomato paste-type sweet. Some of the sauces I've seen on this site and others kind of hit the mark for me.

What I've never come close to was the sauce for their Hero Sandwich--wow--every night after work, one came home with me, but not for long... :P

Offline Polka

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #233 on: July 19, 2017, 08:41:40 PM »
Howdy all

I would like to add my two cents to this thread, if I may. 

I too have been looking for a great sauce that reeks of Shakey's.  I know that while making some sauce, I dropped some spice containers out of the rack.  While putting them away, the chili powder can had opened slightly--McCormicks.  The fragrance of this chili powder with the sauce on the counter led me to an "A Ha" moment, and so I added a bit, and it was certainly getting me close to what I remember. 

I looked at the container, and it recommended chili powder for spaghetti sauce.  I also know that fragrance is half of our tasting as smell and taste are closely related.

What do you think?  I like it when I add it to my sauce, about 1/2 tsp per 24 oz can of Hunts Traditional Spaghetti sauce.

Sure seems to give it that zing someone was talking about in the past.

Hope that I helped get closer to our goal.
Take care
Rex,
aka Polka
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:44:17 PM by Polka »

Offline refdaddy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #234 on: December 23, 2017, 10:37:40 PM »
I managed a Shakey's that my brother owned from 1975 to 1978 in the suburbs of Washington, DC.  In spite of my addled memory, I distinctly remember the Shakey's brand bagged pizza sauce dry mix contained cracked/coarsely ground mustard seeds. 

That may be the secret 'tang' you have all been seeking.  Our sauce recipe was based on tomato paste and we scraped those #10 cans clean.  Waste not, want not!

Other tidbits:
Thin pizza crust was made with all purpose flour.  The Shakey's add-in was bromated and included barley malt and several dough conditioners.  We used a solid shortening in both thin crust and thick crust dough recipes.
Thick crust was mostly bread flour with maybe 1/3 ap flour.

I would die for the spice mix for both the beef topping and sausage topping.  We added a Shakey's brand spice mix to freshly ground beef and frozen pork butt strips run through the grinder attachment of our Hobart machine.  Pork was turned 2-3 times a day in the refrigerated bus pans till it was ready to serve after 24-48 hours.  Beef was ready after mixing and did not require any wait time.

Hope you guys and gals find the magic bullet to recreate Shakey's pizza. 

Even though I swore off pizza for years after leaving Shakey's, I do enjoy a good homemade pie.  I never fail to add a liberal dose of yellow mustard and some ground mustard seeds to my pizza sauce.  Gets raves all around.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 10:39:53 PM by refdaddy »

Offline Zing

« Reply #235 on: December 24, 2017, 11:02:27 PM »
Welcome, Refdaddy.

Thank you for your recollections. This is useful for people trying to clone the sauce used in that time period.

I myself am trying to duplicate the pizza currently served in corporate (Jacmar) owned locations in California. Someone earlier had posted here that they also had access to the spice packets back then and that it contained mustard. I have washed both sauce samples and baked sauce taken off slices brought back to me from California. I never did find any cracked or whole mustard seeds. After reading the first report of mustard in the sauce, I bought some Colman's mustard powder in a supermarket and added it to my sauce clone. If Shakey's is now adding ground herbs and spices to their bagged sauce-in-a-box, it can't be found by washing sauce samples. I had to try adding mustard powder and observing results, the only (affordable) way to check for ground herbs and spices. However, using various percentages of mustard powder in my sauce, it did not make the sauce taste any closer to the genuine sauce and pizza samples I had. Reading all these posts leads people to conclude the recipes changed over the years.

Everything I have read points to Shakey's now buying factory made ground beef and sausage topping. Over the past seven years, I have found different brands of pepperoni on the samples brought back to me from California, same with different brands of the crushed red pepper and grated parmesan packets handed out with whole pies. I guess if Jacmar's foodservice division is out of a particular brand, they will substitute something else. I myself would love to try make fresh ground beef topping and sausage from those spice mixtures.

The biggest stumbling block for me right now is the cheese. We have just repeated our comparison test between  the cheese currently used on Golden Corral's buffet pizza and current California Shakey's pizza, and the match is the closest we have found. Golden Corral uses frozen Leprino QLC pizza cheese.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 12:02:15 PM by Zing »

Offline Zing

« Reply #236 on: December 25, 2017, 11:59:07 AM »
In his introductory post, Refdaddy indicated the pizza parlor he managed was in Woodbridge, VA. That reminded me of an interesting web page I found years ago by a gentleman named Peter Hirschberg. On it, he published full-size actual photos taken from a brochure of the interior of a typical Shakey's from back in the day. Seeing those photos really brought back memories:

https://www.peterhirschberg.com/toys/shakeys/index.htm

As an aside, he also talked about frequenting the Shakey's in Woodbridge, VA. He included photos from about 10 years ago. Current Google street views show the building is now gone, and the sign is hidden in the brush. If you Google 14240 Jefferson Davis Hwy Woodbridge, Virginia, you will find lots of realtor ads trying to sell that plot and the one next to it for $1.9 million dollars.

Offline Zing

« Reply #237 on: January 17, 2018, 02:16:16 PM »
I thought this might be an appropriate place to post a link to an essay on Shakey's Pizza that was published in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette on December 14th, 2010. I sometimes have to ask myself if I am trying to duplicate the pizza or just to relive the memories:

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2010/dec/14/pizza-it-was-cool/?print

As author Kane Webb sums up,

"So what did Shakey’s pizza taste like? How would it have fared in Sync’s pizza contest, which featured more than 40 pizza places in Central Arkansas?

Heck if I know. And I don't want to know. I'd rather savor my memories than any slice of pepperoni.

But I do know this: It would have been fun.

And loud."

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #238 on: January 17, 2018, 09:49:09 PM »
Thanks, Zing.  That was a nice article.  I know how Kane Webb felt about Shakey's because it pretty darn close to how have felt.  It was not just about the pizza, it's about the memories.  The pizza was just an excuse, a catalyst, that accentuated a gathering of family and friends.
Let them eat pizza.