A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My crazy idea for starting a mini part time business. Looking for feedback  (Read 4002 times)

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
Heartily agree, no sauce on ours, just balanced combination of very smooth ricotta, pecorino and whole milk mozzarella, (less is more with the cheeses) as well as freshly slivered garlic, right over the pie, freshly cracked pepper and salt, fresh basil and a generous squeeze of olive oil. I do not prefer the Bechamel type thickened with roux. The Grande soprafinna is so smooth and creamy you can spread it as the base with a spoon right out off the tub, essentially acting as a sauce.

That looks amazing, I always thought I liked the ones with the alfredo'ish sauce because it's all I ever saw around me. Then I had one with a EVOO + garlic base and my mind was blown. Yours looks so good, I'm definitely going to offer that on my menu. I need to track down the ricotta you use. Maybe RD has it, I know they're open to the public so I should call and ask if they carry it.

Offline Little bean

• Pizzeria DiLauro
    • Pizzeria DiLauro
That looks amazing, I always thought I liked the ones with the alfredo'ish sauce because it's all I ever saw around me. Then I had one with a EVOO + garlic base and my mind was blown. Yours looks so good, I'm definitely going to offer that on my menu. I need to track down the ricotta you use. Maybe RD has it, I know they're open to the public so I should call and ask if they carry it.

by us restaurant depot does not carry grande, but ours carries pollyo old fashioned which I like as well.

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
by us restaurant depot does not carry grande, but ours carries pollyo old fashioned which I like as well.

Well that bites, I can't think of anywhere else around me that might even have it. I Googled for 10 minutes and found 2 places that ship it. One it looks like a $200 minimum order's required. And the other sells it as 6 3lb tubs. Which uh, yeah, would be way too much for me lol. Even 3lbs is a lot seeing how it's not a cheese you can freeze without ruining the texture. I will continue to search Google until I find somewhere that ships 3lb. Or go check the $200 min place to see what else they have. Pretty sure I won't have any better luck finding the Polly O around me. I've never seen that brand anywhere. I'll check with RD about the Polly O
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 07:18:36 PM by Quebert »

Offline Little bean

• Pizzeria DiLauro
    • Pizzeria DiLauro
Well that bites, I can't think of anywhere else around me that might even have it. I Googled for 10 minutes and found 2 places that ship it. One it looks like a $200 minimum order's required. And the other sells it as 6 3lb tubs. Which uh, yeah, would be way too much for me lol. Even 3lbs is a lot seeing how it's not a cheese you can freeze without ruining the texture. I will continue to search Google until I find somewhere that ships 3lb. Or go check the $200 min place to see what else they have. Pretty sure I won't have any better luck finding the Polly O around me. I've never seen that brand anywhere. I'll check with RD about the Polly O

Where are you located? you might have lucking finding a pizzeria near you that would be willing to sell it to you, (pizza people are pretty cool)

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
Where are you located? you might have lucking finding a pizzeria near you that would be willing to sell it to you, (pizza people are pretty cool)

Riverside, about 50 miles from LA. I know LA would have a bunch, Orange County too (a bit closer) it looks like Costco has the Polly O, I don't have a membership but I know a lot of people that do.

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My crazy idea for starting a mini part time business. Looking for feedback
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2021, 10:13:34 PM »
BUMP OLD THREAD.

My city has opened up and is allowing licenses for street food vendors.  I have a question that maybe somebody here has some experience and could shed some insight.  I've been looking at wine fridges to use so I could have something dedicated to CF the dough in. But as I thought about it, I'm in So Cal, and when summer rolls around there will be nights where it's in the 80s and even low 90s. If I set up at 8PM and am there until midnight, after a few hours out there those temps would reak havoc on the dough.  So my idea is to get a thermoelectric cooler and add a temperature controller on it.  Then I could use it to CF the dough, and crank it up to have it so I could pull a few out and they'd be ready to use in 10-15 minutes.   I know nothing about dough management, except that when I've made pizzas and it was hot in the house (80'ish) there wasn't a long window between the dough being easy to work with. To where I couldn't stretch or launch it and it was over for the night. 

Does anyone have a setup like this instead of a fridge for fermenting? I'm thinking if I got a big enough cooler I could stack like 6 Doughmate boxes in it and it would be perfect for dough management. And it would hold temp even without it being plugged in, so it would be perfect when I'm out making pizzas and won't have access to electricity.

Offline alimanach

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2021, 10:24:53 AM »
Sounds good

Offline alimanach

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2021, 07:43:42 AM »
When you start a business, you can't expect the profit to come overnight. It takes investment and time. But I can confidently say that the woodworking business is profitable, especially nowadays when people are more and more inclined towards a minimalist life, with rural accents and everything related to bio. I started making wooden toys for children. The first three years were more challenging because I didn't know how to promote my product better; maybe that's why I already went through two financial crises, which I had to ask for help from https://factorforyou.com/illinois-factoring/. They provided me with the necessary moral and financial assistance. Now I have a good profit, and my team is growing.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2021, 06:57:55 PM »
BUMP OLD THREAD.

My city has opened up and is allowing licenses for street food vendors.  I have a question that maybe somebody here has some experience and could shed some insight.  I've been looking at wine fridges to use so I could have something dedicated to CF the dough in. But as I thought about it, I'm in So Cal, and when summer rolls around there will be nights where it's in the 80s and even low 90s. If I set up at 8PM and am there until midnight, after a few hours out there those temps would reak havoc on the dough.  So my idea is to get a thermoelectric cooler and add a temperature controller on it.  Then I could use it to CF the dough, and crank it up to have it so I could pull a few out and they'd be ready to use in 10-15 minutes.   I know nothing about dough management, except that when I've made pizzas and it was hot in the house (80'ish) there wasn't a long window between the dough being easy to work with. To where I couldn't stretch or launch it and it was over for the night. 

Does anyone have a setup like this instead of a fridge for fermenting? I'm thinking if I got a big enough cooler I could stack like 6 Doughmate boxes in it and it would be perfect for dough management. And it would hold temp even without it being plugged in, so it would be perfect when I'm out making pizzas and won't have access to electricity.

Hi Quebert,

Why won't you use a regular fridge (dedicated to your dough)?
The wine fridge's temp would be around 17°C, right? This can also work of course, but you might need a wider window: in these temperatures, you can only make 24H dough, meaning if you don't sell everything... it'll go to waste.
You could then think about having both: a dedicated fridge at 4°C (4°C at the core of your dough ball so your fermentation is stopped) so they don't move a bit during 2, 3, 4... days, plus a wine fridge where to put the dough some hours -or a night- before baking. Dough would slowly go from 4°C to 15~17°C, you can keep it longer than if it was at RT (meaning you may still use it the next day); and 0.5-1H before baking you take it out and leave it "proof" at your high RT, timing should be good.
I don't know if I'm clear in my explanations. That's one of the solutions I used to apply myself (and one that I teach to my students!).
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso