Pages:
Actions
  • #6661 by quietdesperation on 08 Jul 2021
  • working through our pandemic supply of flour, we're down to a ten pound of bag of kaap. I've never made sd bread with kaap, will there be a big difference?

tia,
  • #6662 by HansB on 08 Jul 2021
  • working through our pandemic supply of flour, we're down to a ten pound of bag of kaap. I've never made sd bread with kaap, will there be a big difference?

tia,

Different than what? KAAP makes good sourdough bread, I've even used 100% KAAP with good results.
  • #6663 by quietdesperation on 08 Jul 2021
  • Different than what? KAAP makes good sourdough bread, I've even used 100% KAAP with good results.

thanks, hans, different than kabf I guess. Gearing up for a bake this week, I'll give it a try.
  • #6664 by Jackitup on 08 Jul 2021
  • Love the yin and yang!
  • #6665 by HansB on 08 Jul 2021
  • thanks, hans, different than kabf I guess. Gearing up for a bake this week, I'll give it a try.

With KAAP you can get a loaf similar to San Francisco style. Should be good!
  • #6666 by foreplease on 09 Jul 2021
  • Today's loaves. KABF with freshly milled Yecora Rojo 25%, 2.5% each Wrens Abruzzi Rye and Danko Rye.
    Those sure look good, Hans. Even after so many great loaves it must be pleasing to remove the lid and find that this is what you got.  ;D
  • #6667 by loch on 09 Jul 2021

tia,

Hydration will be different with a lower protein flour (11.7% KAAP vs 12.7% KABF). Hold back a little liquid and add as needed for the type of dough you want.

Dave
  • #6668 by Jersey Pie Boy on 09 Jul 2021
  • Probably a little less open but still good.

Hydration notes as above..try 5-7 points less to start
  • #6669 by HansB on 09 Jul 2021
  • Those sure look good, Hans. Even after so many great loaves it must be pleasing to remove the lid and find that this is what you got.  ;D

Thanks, you're correct, that always the fun part, opening the lid!!
  • #6670 by HansB on 09 Jul 2021
  • Personally, I don't change the hydration between the two, 1% protein doesn't make any difference in my bakes.
  • #6671 by HansB on 17 Jul 2021
  • A sourdough rye and a yeasted English Muffin bread.
  • #6672 by GumbaWill on 20 Jul 2021
  • Re: farm-to-table chefs choice special.
    feist your eyes on this semolina filone. Inspired by Maggie Glazer, improved method, and formula by Will Falzon. Also, take note of the unconventional priest hat shape fr the "Tom Cat Filone". Very nice indeed!
     Neopolatan ciambotta, stuffed in a homemade semolina filone boule.

• #6673 by HansB on 22 Jul 2021
  • Shokupan, naturally leavened.
  • #6674 by BinATX on 03 Aug 2021
  • Iím returning to bread making for a bit to bring my focus back to the dough for future pizza experiments - just ordered a steel to give NY style a shot next.

This is SD, just under 80% hydration. About a 5hr+/- RT bulk, and around 17hrs cold in the banneton. Baked in a Dutch oven. I need to order a lame - haha.
  • #6675 by [email protected] on 03 Aug 2021
  • I need to order a lame - haha.

When I was a kid I remember watching a French baker making baguettes on TV. The thing that made it so memorable was the baker slashing the loaves with a double sided razor blade which he held in his teeth when he wasnít using it on the dough.  :o  Consequently, I use a razor for slashing, but itís single sided and I definitely never put it anywhere near my face :-D

Good luck with the steel. Just bought one a month ago and have managed 640 degree surface temp in an oven that tops out at 500 by using the broiling element to preheat last 15-20 minutes before baking.
  • #6676 by BinATX on 03 Aug 2021
  • When I was a kid I remember watching a French baker making baguettes on TV. The thing that made it so memorable was the baker slashing the loaves with a double sided razor blade which he held in his teeth when he wasnít using it on the dough.  :o  Consequently, I use a razor for slashing, but itís single sided and I definitely never put it anywhere near my face :-D

Good luck with the steel. Just bought one a month ago and have managed 640 degree surface temp in an oven that tops out at 500 by using the broiling element to preheat last 15-20 minutes before baking.

Today, when my son was yelling and bouncing his ball next to me in the kitchen, I zoned out for one second and grabbed the handle of a pan that just came out of the oven. So, I definitely wouldnít trust myself with that double sided razor technique!

Thanks for the tip on the steel! Iím excited for all of the test runs coming up.
  • #6677 by gdepozsgay on 04 Aug 2021
  • I use the double edge. Its the only one that has worked for me.
  • #6678 by HansB on 04 Aug 2021
  • #6679 by loch on 04 Aug 2021
  • I'm getting a collection of them.

The one in the middle is the one I've been using since 1978.  I got it in a second hand store, and although it does require occasional sharpening it works very well for me.

The top and bottom ones were gifts from people that I share baked goods with. The bottom one is very new and sort of elaborate for the job it's meant for. One side holds the blade straight and the other side holds it curved. The blades that came with it have little numbers (1-4) in the corners so you know which edge is used!

One note on using any blade. If you're baking for the public don't let the county health inspector see you holding your blade in your mouth.  ;D

Dave
  • #6680 by BinATX on 04 Aug 2021
  • Here's a good one: https://www.razorbladeco.com/bakers-lame

Ordered! I know it wonít alone get my bread looking as good as yours but Iíll take any help I can get. Thanks!
Pages:
Actions