A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Detroit Style Cheese in Germany/Europe  (Read 206 times)

Offline mael15

• I Love Pizza!
Detroit Style Cheese in Germany/Europe
« on: July 20, 2021, 03:03:14 PM »
So I want to come as close as possible to the original Detroit style experience, BUT I am in Germany and therefore do not have access to the cheeses mentioned in "Perfect Pan Pizza" by Peter Reinhart. So what might be good substitudes that I can get in Germany for:
- Wisconsin brick cheese
- Fontina (should be possible since I can get Italian cheese, but is not)
- Muenster (Münster is near by my home town Bremen and there is a cheese by that name, but it probably is different?)
- Jack cheese
I am especially worried about how much heat it can take, i.e. the Cheddar here is high quality and it loses pretty much all of its fat in the oven, which I am guessing is not what happens with American Cheddar?
Any tips are appreciated, thank you!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Detroit Style Cheese in Germany/Europe
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 06:17:16 PM »
Muenster is very close to Brick. Put the Muenster around the edge of the pan and mozzarella more in the center area like this video.

I use shredded instead of cubed in the video, either will work though.

https://youtu.be/Dn1-V039_Xw?t=189
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 07:11:12 PM »
Don't discount U.S. cheese.  We have an abundance of world-class cheese.  I live in NY where you can't spit without hitting a cow or a cheesemaker.
John

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 07:16:19 PM »
Don't discount U.S. cheese.  We have an abundance of world-class cheese.  I live in NY where you can't spit without hitting a cow or a cheesemaker.

U.S. cheese is probably hard to get in Germany...
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline mael15

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 04:15:35 AM »
U.S. cheese is probably hard to get in Germany...
Exactly, that is why I am asking. I was hoping someone ate these cheeses in the US and was able to find similar substitudes in Europe/Germany.
On the contrary, I wish I could find these cheeses here! I only wanted to say that I have a very good source of many artisinal cheeses to choose from here in Bremen, so I could try some lesser known types if someone had a tipp what to use.
Muenster is very close to Brick.
Okay, thanx, I will try our cheese from Münster, hoping that it is similar to US Muenster cheese.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 09:23:55 AM »
Okay, thanx, I will try our cheese from Münster, hoping that it is similar to US Muenster cheese.

I'm making one today using Muenster for the first time. I'll post a photo later.

By the way, I was born right next door to Bremen, in Delmenhorst.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline mael15

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 09:54:55 AM »
I'm making one today using Muenster for the first time. I'll post a photo later.

By the way, I was born right next door to Bremen, in Delmenhorst.
Hi there, former neighbor!  :D
Have you been to Germany in the last couple of years and tried some cheeses?
I am making the "Kundalini Cauliflower" from "Perfect Pan Pizza" today and have bought Munster, Northsea Cheese and buffalo Mozzarella. I am trying a 1:2:2 mix.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 10:02:43 AM by mael15 »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 10:01:44 AM »
Hi there, former neighbor!  :D
Have you been to Germany in the last couple of years and tried some cheeses?
I am making the "Kundalini Cauliflower" today and have bought Munster, Northsea Cheese and buffalo Mozzarella. I am trying a 1:2:2 mix.

Hi there. The last time I was there I spent a week in München, that was four years ago. I did have some good bread and cheese there.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Monkeyboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 10:29:33 AM »
Have done Brick cheese 2x - always had to mail order it - expensive.

Now I use (cubed) about 75% Muenster (US) and 25% either Jack / Colby.  Will also lay down some provolone or Parm for added flavor.

But Munster is a great alternative to Brick...really hard to tell a difference in my opinion.

Offline mael15

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 10:46:02 AM »
I just found a little video on Muenster cheese , below it reads "Muenster cheese is a semi-soft cheese which has different variations such as French, German, and American. The American variation of the cheese is believed to be an imitation of the Alsatian washed-rind Munster cheese which was introduced by German immigrants." It looks pretty much like the one I can get here. If the video is right it does not have anything to do with the German town Münster (like I wrote before), but that doesn´t matter anyway.
Would you agree like it sais in the video, that the American Muenster is not that intense? Mine here sure is, quite a dominant taste.

Offline Monkeyboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 11:04:04 AM »
US Muenster is very mild

"American versions are sold younger, and with a weaker taste, than European versions."

Looks like you will need to do some research to find a young version of Euro Muenster or an alternative.  (I wonder how an Epoisse pie would be!)

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 11:16:04 AM »
Yes, Muenster in the US is very mild. I've heard it called "baby cheese." I'd say the most prominent flavor is salt. I've been using a bend (about 60/40) of grated Muenster and low moisture whole milk mozzarella. Not sure if low moisture mozzarella is available to you.

Don't know how it compares to the original because I have been on a Detroit pizza tour or had brick cheese (yet), but the results are tasty.

Offline mael15

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 11:36:10 AM »
Aaaaaaah, so now I know that I have to take less from my German Muenster. Great, thanx!
So what about Wisconsin brick, how would you describe it? It looks firmer than Muenster. Is it also more on the mild side?
Low moisture mozzarella is hard but possible to find here, but I prefer to just dehydrate the bagged version with liquid. Works pretty good when I leave it in a colander for an hours, tear it apart and wrap it in a tower for another hour.

Offline Monkeyboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 11:47:51 AM »
Wisconsin Brick and US Muenster have very similar flavor profiles - really hard to distinguish anything VERY different about the two. 

Realize there are young \ mild Brick cheeses (what you want for Detroit Pies) and aged Brick cheeses (sometimes called the poor mans Limburger - more pungent...probably similar to an aged Muenster).   So for Detroit - look for Young or Mild.

Other thing to pay attention to...In the pic above, you can see some cheese browning - this is from the variety of Mozzarella used.  I have found some that brown very rapidly, some not as much - all low moisture, just depends on the brand.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 11:51:18 AM »
LMPS browns more than WM mozz. I like to use WM first then top with a bit of LMPS, with Brick around the edge.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline mael15

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2021, 03:34:41 PM »
here is my result from today, hope it is okay to post insta links?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRmd8K-LlEJ

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2021, 04:39:02 PM »
here is my result from today, hope it is okay to post insta links?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRmd8K-LlEJ
I wouldn't hesitate to eat a slice of that!

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2021, 06:40:30 PM »
That looks like a Detroit pizza that attended a healthy eating class. Very nice 👍