A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Today's Bread  (Read 556971 times)

loch and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Today's Bread
« Reply #7020 on: November 30, 2021, 05:11:02 PM »
How were they?

The time I made Cuban rolls I used lard as the recipe called for.  Wasn't too crazy about the lard taste.
Will try vegetable oil next time.

I thought they were excellent. Different ingredients and shape than pan cubano. I made these for some Cuban friends who gave it the thumbs up for authenticity for medianoche sandwiches (midnight snack). I used 50% freshly-rendered lard and 50% shortening.   

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7021 on: November 30, 2021, 07:29:44 PM »
Finally got around to using the starter to makes some bread.  made pancakes twice with discard.  :o
Made some sourdough crackers as well.

At start the two loaves on left were on top rack, one on right on the bottom.
At 10 minutes, swapped shelves and rotated, and placed temp probe in one on the bottom.
At the 20 minute mark, noticed single loaf on top was much browner.  Put a probe in it and it was at 198f.
Removed it from oven.  The two on the bottom took another 7 minutes to finish, but not as brown as the single one.
I guess I will need to swap and rotate every 5 minutes or so to get color even on all loaves.

Not the best pictures...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 12:15:28 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Papa T

• Supporting Member
  • When the moon hits your eye...
« Reply #7022 on: November 30, 2021, 09:32:50 PM »
How were they?

The time I made Cuban rolls I used lard as the recipe called for.  Wasn't too crazy about the lard taste.
Will try vegetable oil next time.

Medianoche (midnight or middle of the night) bread really isn't Cuban bread. It's an egg enriched sweet bread made by Cubans that's more like Challah bread than anything else. Many use the same fillings as used for Cuban sandwiches on Medianoche bread, and it's very popular in South Florida as a late night after partying sandwich.

Cuban bread doesn't contain egg, and is what it is because it contains saturated fat. A fat that is solid at room temperature. A hundred years ago that was usually lard, but not so much in today's world. I too am not fond of the lard mouthfeel when eating Cuban bread made with lard. To me, it also makes the bread more dense and less airy.

However, vegetable shortening (Crisco) works great. La Segunda bakery in Tampa uses palm oil (not lard) for their Cuban bread. They recommend shortening when baking Cuban bread at home using their recipe. They sell more Cuban bread than any bakery on Earth, around 20,000 loaves per day, and it's likely the authentic Cuban bread most folks have eaten, since they ship to restaurants all over. La Segunda lists palm oil on their bread ingredient list, but most palm oil used in commercial settings is solid at typical room temperature. Palm oil is also listed as an oil used in Crisco and most vegetable shortenings, so they work really well.

Next time I make Cuban bread, I'm going to try refined (so it's tasteless) coconut oil, which is also a saturated vegetable fat that's solid at typical room temp. I"ll see how it compares to Crisco when making the bread.

The photos are of the last Cuban bread I made two weeks ago using Crisco. I made one loaf, and some Cuban buns. A small bit of left over dough made it as a slider bun, LOL. The smashed cheeseburger on a Cuban bread bun rocked it pretty hard.
Instagram: lightfuzer

Everything sounds better in latin.
Omnis pizza 'est bonum.
Every pizza is good.

Making good pizza is not that hard, unless we choose to make it that way.

The best pizza you'll ever make for someone is making the one they ask for instead of making it the way we think it should be made.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7023 on: November 30, 2021, 09:45:31 PM »

Wasn't too crazy about the lard taste.

What the?!?!?!🤯😳🤯😳   🤣
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7024 on: December 01, 2021, 12:19:28 PM »
What the?!?!?!🤯😳🤯😳   🤣

Nope, just didn't like it.  ;D

Thanks for that detailed information Papa_T.  Will give Crisco a shot.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #7025 on: December 02, 2021, 08:17:14 PM »
Fresh milled durum.

Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Papa T

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7026 on: December 03, 2021, 02:55:39 AM »
Really, this post is about bread. But, what to do with four pounds of left over turkey meat, and 11 quarts of homemade turkey stock? I could freeze it, but that would mean eating more turkey for turkeyís sake down the road. Honestly, Iím not that much of a turkey fan. The stock could easily be frozen for future use, but thatís not how I usually roll. I make enough chickens that I usually have a few quarts of homemade chicken stock in the fridge. The solution is corn.

I keep an ample stock of 15.5 ounce cans of no salt added sweet kernel corn in the pantry. With Thanksgiving a week past, I also had one 14.7 ounce can of creamed corn in stock, a cupboard always stocked with dry seasonings and spices. Ample carrots and celery in the fridge veg drawer, eight scallions needing to be used, and being kept company by a one pound link of smoked sausage. Itís chowder time using canned corn with its water and all. I mulched two cans of corn with a stick blender, used one can as is for the visual, and the creamed corn is what it is.

So, with the turkey cut in ĺ inch pieces, 11 quarts of homemade turkey stock, 3.8 pounds of canned corn, one pound of sliced and rendered smoked sausage, two cans of evaporated milk, a mix of scallions, celery, carrots, red and green peppers, a couple cloves of garlic, EVOO, and Papa T's secret 11 herbs and spices (hmmÖ the Colonel uses 11 too), itís corn chowder time. It's slap yourself silly good, but like all soups, stews, chowders, and chili, they are better the next day, so into the fridge. That gives me time to make some bread the next day.

I decided to make an Italian style loaf of moderate hydration. This loaf was 680 grams, about 24 ounces, using KAAP flour, 62.5% hydration, and 2% each of salt, sugar, and oil. I used 1.5% IDY, but you could much less if you wanted to make the dough and leave it in the fridge for a day or two to build some flavor. Since I was going to be using the bread to dunk in the chowder, I went for the quicker rise method, with 1.5% IDY and water at 115F. It was mixed in my stand mixer for Iím guessing about 8-10 minutes. I stop the mixer after about 6 minutes or so, pull on the dough to see if it tears easily. When it doesnít tear easy, I stop mixing. If it tears, then another couple minutes in the mixer. After enough bread making, you just know. When ready, I shape into a tight ball, and then into a covered oiled bowl to rise.

The dough doubled in an hour at 71F RT. I knocked the gas out of it, then rolled it into a log for the next rise on a sheet pan. I covered it with a damp tea towel, and preheated the oven to 400F. It had doubled again after an hour on the sheet pan sitting next to the stove. I brushed the loaf with an egg wash, sprinkled on some sesame seeds, scored it, and into the oven for 22 minutes, turning the pan 180 at the 11 minute mark. I let the bread cool on a rack for one hour before cutting. It takes much will power to do that, no joke. I used slices of bread as a spoon for the chowder and ate a few more than pictured here. Yes, that is cranberry jelly on the bread plate next to the blob of butter. It's jelly and goes really well on any toasted and buttered bread. Overall, it doesnít really get much better than this.

Omnis pizza 'est bonum.
Every pizza is good.

The best pizza you'll ever make for someone is making the one they ask for instead of making it the way we think it should be made.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #7027 on: December 03, 2021, 09:22:27 AM »
"KAAP flour, 62.5% hydration, and 2% each of salt, sugar, and oil"

The bread looks good. That looks remarkably like a pizza dough formula. But, then again pizza is not bread, right?  ;)
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Papa T

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7028 on: December 03, 2021, 05:25:14 PM »
"KAAP flour, 62.5% hydration, and 2% each of salt, sugar, and oil"

The bread looks good. That looks remarkably like a pizza dough formula. But, then again pizza is not bread, right?  ;)

Yup. This could have been a same day pizza dough, too. It all depends on how and how long you let it rise, water temp, and how much commercial yeast one chooses to use.

Sourdough though is an alien thing compared to using commercial yeast. My neighbor three houses away and I could both make the same recipe for a bread loaf using commercial yeast, and get the same results. But when using our sourdough cultures, two different breads result where we are just a few hundred feet apart. For those that were not fond of sourdough bread when they first tried it, it's worth seeking out a different baker or bakery and trying it again. It likely will have a different flavor from the first sample. Each place that makes it has their own unique yeast signature and taste.

Omnis pizza 'est bonum.
Every pizza is good.

Offline PapaJawnz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7029 on: December 04, 2021, 10:18:43 AM »
We live in an RV and only bake sourdough bread for health and sustainability.  These rolls were made for Thanksgiving.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 10:19:56 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline NYSS

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7030 on: December 05, 2021, 10:14:40 PM »
Second attempt at baking bread. Dropped the temp to 450į cause the bottoms were a little burned last time and got rid of the parchment paper cause the bottoms tasted gummy.

Went with a straight dough about 13 hour RTF using 90% KAAP with 10% KAWW at 80% hydration.

I don't think I'm doing anything right from fermentation to stretch and folds to shaping to proofing to scoring, but somehow it still keeps coming out pretty good.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7031 on: December 05, 2021, 11:16:50 PM »
80 kind of high for that flour blend
Depending on bake time, thar might be gumminess. For burned bottom, possibly a pizza stone on bottom rack might even out your temps. Maybe try dropping your hydration to 70 or 72 and work your way up

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7032 on: December 06, 2021, 07:40:29 AM »
Second attempt at baking bread. Dropped the temp to 450į cause the bottoms were a little burned last time and got rid of the parchment paper cause the bottoms tasted gummy.

Went with a straight dough about 13 hour RTF using 90% KAAP with 10% KAWW at 80% hydration.

I don't think I'm doing anything right from fermentation to stretch and folds to shaping to proofing to scoring, but somehow it still keeps coming out pretty good.
It looks remarkably good for being only your second attempt! Keep going and keep learning. Try changing only one thing at a time - itís the best way to learn how each change affects your finished loaf.

What was your previous bake temp? What was your water temp? How much salt and yeast did you use? Did you use any other ingredients, such as sugar or oil?
-Tony

Offline NYSS

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7033 on: December 06, 2021, 11:28:57 AM »
80 kind of high for that flour blend
Depending on bake time, thar might be gumminess. For burned bottom, possibly a pizza stone on bottom rack might even out your temps. Maybe try dropping your hydration to 70 or 72 and work your way up

It's Ken Forkish's overnight Saturday white bread. It called for 100% AP but I made it 90/10 and it called for 78% hydration but I bumped it to 80 cause I figured with the whole wheat I should?

You are right it was a bit gummy in the middle especially. Might have been a little undercooked. I baked 30 minutes at 450 covered in a Dutch oven and 15 minutes uncovered.

It looks remarkably good for being only your second attempt! Keep going and keep learning. Try changing only one thing at a time - itís the best way to learn how each change affects your finished loaf.

What was your previous bake temp? What was your water temp? How much salt and yeast did you use? Did you use any other ingredients, such as sugar or oil?

The recipe called for 475. Water temp was 95į. Salt was 22g at 2.2% and yeast was 0.8g at. 08%. No sugar or oil.

Just flour, water, salt, yeast like the book's name!

Last recipe I followed from his book used a poolish.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7034 on: December 06, 2021, 03:29:05 PM »
Tony is right..you're off to great start. Maybe just go the Forkish way and  try 78...all AP flours aren't completely alike, and the next loaf will be 33.3% more experienced :)

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #7035 on: December 06, 2021, 07:59:40 PM »
Had a bunch of sourdough discard so decided to make a quick garbage focaccia, came out tasting pretty darn good - browned it up about 30 seconds too long under the broiler but that did not seem to impact flavor. 50% discard, 50% BRM AP, 2% salt with water adjusted to ~75% hydration.
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline NYSS

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7036 on: December 06, 2021, 09:36:22 PM »
Tony is right..you're off to great start. Maybe just go the Forkish way and  try 78...all AP flours aren't completely alike, and the next loaf will be 33.3% more experienced :)

Thanks!

I definitely have the bread baking bug now!

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7037 on: December 07, 2021, 08:09:08 PM »
Open crumb long ferment with multiple coil folds, 83% HR, over nite preoof (i did just invent that word).

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7038 on: December 08, 2021, 06:13:00 AM »
Open crumb long ferment with multiple coil folds, 83% HR, over nite preoof (i did just invent that word).
Awesome loaf of bread!
-Tony

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7039 on: December 08, 2021, 09:18:51 AM »