A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Poolish with sugar or honey?  (Read 1755 times)

Offline pjs5456a

• I Love Pizza!
Poolish with sugar or honey?
« on: February 10, 2021, 04:15:45 PM »
Plan to make a poolish for the first time.  Will use home oven at 550F with a steel.  NY style pizza Using either KA bread or AP.  Should I add sugar and/or honey as an ingredient into the poolish?  How much should I add? Thanks

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Poolish with sugar or honey?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 05:17:24 PM »
Iíve done it by mistake - moving too fast - and did not notice any difference, but we are told by definition not to add it to the poolish. Add it as part of your final dough mix if you want to include sugar. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
-Tony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 06:03:11 PM »
Plan to make a poolish for the first time.  Will use home oven at 550F with a steel.  NY style pizza Using either KA bread or AP.  Should I add sugar and/or honey as an ingredient into the poolish?  How much should I add? Thanks

No.
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline creggers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 10:24:01 AM »
does honey kill yeast ?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 10:56:14 AM »
It can kill yeast, along with sugar or salt.  If it kills yeast or not is dependent on several factors and in the small quantities you would typically use in a dough you have nothing to worry about. 

Vito Icopelli has a video where he puts honey in a poolish.  This is non standard and non traditional and I highly doubt it is going to make your pizza or bread any better.

I use a poolish every day and do not put honey in it... it works perfectly.   My guess is that less than 1% of people out there baking commercially are using honey or sugar in a poolish. 

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 11:07:14 AM »
Within normal ranges, the main thing sugar will do is speed up fermentation by giving the yeast a supply of ready-to-eat food. This would seem counterproductive in the context of what we try to accomplish with a poolish.

I think HansB summed it up well a couple years ago. Paraphrasing him, 'if you add sugar, it's not a poolish, it's a dough.'
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 10:09:21 PM »
This keeps coming up because Vito adds honey to his poolish to make it more "natural".  ;D

Vito appears to make great pizza. So I can't really knock him, but no, a poolish doesn't need sugar or anything else to speed up fermentation.

Online Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza time! Pizza time! Pizza time!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 11:21:06 PM »
Within normal ranges, the main thing sugar will do is speed up fermentation by giving the yeast a supply of ready-to-eat food. This would seem counterproductive in the context of what we try to accomplish with a poolish.

I think HansB summed it up well a couple years ago. Paraphrasing him, 'if you add sugar, it's not a poolish, it's a dough.'

When yeast reproduces, it usually expresses genes that adapt it to eat whatever is on the menu.

For example, "beer" yeasts are adapted to eating maltose while "wine" yeasts are not -- because fructose is more common in fruit.

Lalvin EC-1118 champagne yeast as it comes out of the packet is not adapted to eat maltose, but in the presence of a lot of maltose it only takes 4 generations for the overwhelming majority of cells to be adapted to eating maltose. And at room temperature that might be like 6 hours.

You'd think that if your yeast is already adapted to eating amylose and amylopectin, giving it some fructose and glucose to nosh on would not be exactly advantageous if the majority of what it has to eat is gonna be amylose and amylopectin.

Or maybe it's about the congeners that collect after a long ferment with a variety of sugars and starches.
Pepperoni is just American chorizo.
- Eric

wordpress