A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sourcing the right flour for NYP in The Netherlands  (Read 246 times)

Offline rym

Sourcing the right flour for NYP in The Netherlands
« on: July 30, 2021, 02:46:44 AM »
Hi there,

After having attempted to make NY Pizza's for years and consistently failing (though producing tasty pizza's, just nothing like the rest of the people on these forums) I figured it was time to dive deeper into the issue. I have an oven that goes to 300C/572f, a baking steel, quality toppings but basically I just do not have the right flour. My dough never comes out as any of the pictures or videos I've seen. I always chalked it up to not having a Kitchenaid but knew this wasn't the real issue. From various topics and mainly posts by Scott123 I think that the issue is that i am not using hard red spring wheat, which is unavailable in Europe as far as I can see. I was wondering if anyone has been able to solve this issue over here (I've seen discussions on manitoba flour?). A well known mill in the Netherlands has the following options:

Amerikaans Patentbloem extra -- This might be HRS wheat, I'll have to email them
Manitoba Tipo 0
Manitoba Tipo 00

Scott123 mentioned Marriage Mills SWBF but Amazon does not seem to have this in stock anymore (if not it would have been a great option)

I wont say that money is no object but I am willing to spend a bit to at least bake a few batches of proper NYP  :chef: Plan B is of course just importing some flour myself but due to the weights involved it'd be much easier to just get it in Europe.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
Re: Sourcing the right flour for NYP in The Netherlands
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 07:05:31 AM »
I looked into this once in the past, the conclusion that I got is that we simply don't have a similar flour in most of Europe.  It's not only the protein content, it's all aspects of the flour...  It's of a different quality, different ash content, milled in a different way, maybe enriched in ways that aren't allowed over here, etc, etc.

I'm not sure how important the flour is for the end result, especially since I only tried to make NY a few times, and I'm not sure that I've ever had a NY pie and thus I don't know what I'm looking for in the final result.

I remember from past discussions that UK bread flour might be the best.  Some of it is actually made from imported US wheat.  Something like: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0043RPZGK/?tag=pmak-20 or maybe https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0168UV4M8/?tag=pmak-20

Another alternative (if you can find it somewhere) might be: https://www.mulinocaputo.it/farine/00-americana

Note that none of the above is based on personal experience, just information I've gathered over the years.  Another idea might be if you can find a way to buy US flour from an american base.  Not sure if you have any in the Netherlands, but there are some in Germany.

Trying Manitoba flour might get you a strong flour, but I think I'll be different in many other aspects..
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 07:08:01 AM by amolapizza »
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress