A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Adding Chimney to DIY Oven  (Read 157 times)

Offline greenmax

• I Love Pizza!
Adding Chimney to DIY Oven
« on: September 17, 2021, 03:07:01 AM »
Hello,
I am planning to build a DIY oven. Originally I was planning to build the Mattone Barile oven but then came across this photo of a fireplace with a taller and better defined chimney. The photo is a concept photo from a fireplace. Now I want an oven that looks similar to this. I plan to cover my pizza oven with Stucco and tile as shown in the image.

Are there any plans to build a chimney like this. I am OK with building a frame around the oven and adding plywood/hardiebacker and the stucco. Looking for starting points on plans and type of pizza that can end up looking like this.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Adding Chimney to DIY Oven
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 09:46:42 AM »
You can build anything you want around a pizza oven. The key is to make the oven protected from the elements and water. One thing to keep in mind with this photo, it that you will not want the mouth of the oven to be as big as that fireplace. So the front won't look exactly like that.

Offline greenmax

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 01:49:36 PM »
You can build anything you want around a pizza oven. The key is to make the oven protected from the elements and water. One thing to keep in mind with this photo, it that you will not want the mouth of the oven to be as big as that fireplace. So the front won't look exactly like that.

Thank you for the response. I understand your point about the small mouth of the oven. I am not sure about the best way to build the chimney. Should I be using framing, plywood and stucco.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 02:06:06 PM »
I'd go with framing that meets your local code. Maybe wood is ok based on spacing, maybe metal studs. Set a double walled 8 or 10 inch diameter chimney pipe up the middle. Bigger is probably better with this. You want good draw up the chimney so no smoke come out the front to stain the stucco. Concrete board might be a good option for behind stucco instead of plywood. Not sure how much materials are now. Last time i saw a sheet of plywood it was very expensive.

I put a box and a roof over my oven and still haven't gotten around to making the outside look nice so I don't have any first hand stucco experience.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T