A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Need some clam advice  (Read 267 times)

Offline Monkeyboy

• I Love Pizza!
Need some clam advice
« on: September 30, 2021, 11:09:57 AM »
Making a NY style clam pizza this weekend.
What's the way to use the clams?

I used a technique 1x before where I whipped heavy cream, then drizzled reduced clam liquid into it to make a cream base for the pie.  IMO, it was too wet overall.  I can't remember if the clams were rubbery.

This time, I think I'll go with a more of a white pizza with a garlic, oil, clam juice mix on top.

IF I can find fresh Littleneck clams - do I steam them in wine, shallots, garlic, then chop them - place on pizza?  Or just shuck them and place on pie raw and whole?

If if cannot get fresh clams - canned or frozen?

thanks
NY pie will be cooked in ~525 oven for ~10-12 minutes

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Need some clam advice
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 12:46:10 PM »
This is a pretty good write up on a Pepe's white clam pizza. I like to add bacon. And you need to make sure the peccorino isn't too salty. I usually have Locatelli around but I think it is too salty for this. I forget the brand I used last time. It was domestic and I grated it on a microplane. No experience with the dough listed here, used my own. Also, I've used other clams but only like little necks for this. I've hadbthe best luck with clams from Rhode Island. I haven't used canned so I can't make a recommendation there.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pizza-and-flatbread-recipes/pepes-style-white-clam-pizza-recipe/

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 03:21:21 PM »
 ;D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 01:24:42 AM »
Bumblebee chopped clams in clam juice aren't bad. Reserve liquid for using some in alfredo-ish sauce. Any parm or Pecorino add to sauce on very low heat or off heat. Few mushrooms, little bacon, little chili flakes, a good olive oil or ghee drizzled..............😋
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline Monkeyboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 11:10:02 AM »
As a wrap up - My Clam pie turned out superb!  Would do this technique again.  Previously used a cream base and frozen clams, reduced clam juice - was too wet, messy.

This time I got fresh littleneck clams - only got about 20 of which @3 were discarded during preparation...I think about 30 would have been a better number.
- Soaked clams in salt water for about 2 hours
- dumped water and refilled container with fresh water for another hour.
- Got a large pan ready with shallots, garlic, stock, parsley, white wine.  Added clams and covered.
- Pulled clams out as soon as they opened, let cool a bit
- Scraped out meat, rough chop
- Reduced the remaining liquid.  Added some of it to a mixture of good olive oil, thin garlic slices, parsley (was kinda like a chimichurri sauce), reserved extra reduced stock.

Made pizza.
Garlic oil on dough
Some low moisture shredded mozz
Added clam mixture
Drizzled oil/garlic/parsley mixture over pie
Spooned a little more reduced stock on top
Added precooked bacon chunks, mostly around the edge/crust, wiped crust with a little bacon fat.
A sprinkle of parmesian

Cook
Noms.

Offline NYSS

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 12:07:15 PM »
As a wrap up - My Clam pie turned out superb!  Would do this technique again.  Previously used a cream base and frozen clams, reduced clam juice - was too wet, messy.

This time I got fresh littleneck clams - only got about 20 of which @3 were discarded during preparation...I think about 30 would have been a better number.
- Soaked clams in salt water for about 2 hours
- dumped water and refilled container with fresh water for another hour.
- Got a large pan ready with shallots, garlic, stock, parsley, white wine.  Added clams and covered.
- Pulled clams out as soon as they opened, let cool a bit
- Scraped out meat, rough chop
- Reduced the remaining liquid.  Added some of it to a mixture of good olive oil, thin garlic slices, parsley (was kinda like a chimichurri sauce), reserved extra reduced stock.

Made pizza.
Garlic oil on dough
Some low moisture shredded mozz
Added clam mixture
Drizzled oil/garlic/parsley mixture over pie
Spooned a little more reduced stock on top
Added precooked bacon chunks, mostly around the edge/crust, wiped crust with a little bacon fat.
A sprinkle of parmesian

Cook
Noms.

Dear God. That looks/sounds amazing!

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 01:10:19 PM »
 ^^^ :drool:

Offline bizzwriter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 07:15:25 PM »
Fabulous looking pie -- I love clam pizza -- hard to find down here in Southern California.

wordpress