A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Breville Pizzaiolo oven - how long to preheat for black char/leopard spotting?  (Read 590 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
So if I'm reading you correctly, there shouldn't be an issue with the heavy steel sitting "perched" somewhat on the nipple?

There may very well be an issue, since the oven uses "smart" PID controllers to adjust the temps during the preheat, bake, and recovery. If the algorithms make assumptions about the conductivity of the deck in order to make temp adjustments, you may find it difficult to "dial-in" your desired results. Or you may not. You'll find out soon enough. 

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Right, thanks :) As long as I'm not actually risking physically breaking anything by having that steel on it, I can deal with any other issues for sure.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
 I think you will have to drop your floor a lot if using steel. There is a limited temperature difference that is possible between top and bottom heat. Steel is much more conductive then stone. When I use a steel in my oven for NY I go 550 floor 625 top that gives me a nice balance with a 4 minute bake.
 Also on the switch under your floor.
 I ground down a stone, I think 30mm to fit  in the recess. I did grind out a area to allow the PID to sit the same as the stock stone. My floor was. 65 thick so it sat slightly closer to the top elements.
 Do you use the Caputo GF flour for your GF pizza?Caputo is very opened about their GF recipe. It makes really good pizza. Not only Neapolitan, but fabulous Detroit style.
 At work we use Cup for Cup and would love to switch to CAPUTO.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 09:46:05 PM by thezaman »

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
I think you will have to drop your floor a lot if using steel. There is a limited temperature difference that is possible between top and bottom heat. Steel is much more conductive then stone. When I use a steel in my oven for NY I go 550 floor 625 top that gives me a nice balance with a 4 minute bake.

Yeah, I see that. I've mastered NY pizzas with my normal oven, so hoping to use this exclusively for Neapolitan pizza. Definitely going to have to lower the deck temp somewhat....was really burnt!

Also on the switch under your floor.
 I ground down a stone, I think 30mm to fit  in the recess. I did grind out a area to allow the PID to sit the same as the stock stone. My floor was. 65 thick so it sat slightly closer to the top elements.

I guess I'm still a little confused about whether I actually need to do anything with the steel for that switch. What exactly does it do--is it something that measures temp only while in contact with a stone/steel? Or something that senses ambient temp? Do I actually need to drill in a recess to give it "space" inside the recess of the steel, or can I just rest the steel safely on top of it? The steel's pretty heavy even at 1/4", so I don't want to break anything. Nor do I want to mess up whatever the PID is doing.

Do you use the Caputo GF flour for your GF pizza? Caputo is very opened about their GF recipe. It makes really good pizza. Not only Neapolitan, but fabulous Detroit style.
 At work we use Cup for Cup and would love to switch to CAPUTO.

Yep, I've always used the Caputo GF flour for my GF pizza. It's one of only three flours I've found that works well for GF pizza. The other two are a flour by Polselli and a flour by Molini Pizzuti (which was in one of the more delicious GF Neapolitan pies I've ever had, at a place in Miami Beach); unfortunately, I've not been able to source these two easily up here in the frozen wasteland of Canada. Even the Caputo has become harder to find recently; just had to order some by mail from Montreal.

Also, I have indeed done some Detroit style, based on the pizza I had at Evil Pies in Las Vegas. Delicious stuff--I wonder how well that would work in this oven.

Offline Chopper01

• Tasty High Hydration Pie Addict.
I think the pizza is too far from the top element, maybe adding a stone might help. Some times the oven flukes when the crust rises and bubbles at 65% hydration.

I think the marketing is misleading and I donít consider pizza past 90 sec is Neapolitan, so I donít bother anymore lol.

What I do is go full blast on manual mode for 90 seconds and finish off with a food torch  :-D  :chef:

Offline Chopper01

• Tasty High Hydration Pie Addict.
 :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D

Avatar removed.  Obviously someone did not like my honest input towards the breville pizza oven lol.

This oven does not produce Neapolitan pizzas. Period.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 01:16:13 PM by Chopper01 »

wordpress