A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Controlling house flies  (Read 692 times)

Offline peaceofpiepizzeria

• Peace, Love & Pie
Controlling house flies
« on: September 03, 2022, 03:16:55 PM »
Hello! We are continually frustrated by the number of house flies in our restaurant. We are vigilant about keeping food covered and water sources drained. When we close up, we hunt down every food source, take out the trash and sanitize every trash can, and empty our dish pit. We spray windowsills, thresholds, and door frames every night. We have small blue light traps.

What can we do? What do you do? We don't have a foyer or entry way. If guests are picking up their food, the front door is open to take payment and hand over boxes. If we had people coming in and out for dine-in, we'd still have flies coming in with them.

We just bought out the founder of our pizzeria and she did not resume indoor dining after the COVID restrictions were lifted in our area. Our existing customer base is getting frustrated with us. We WANT to be open for dine-in but the flies are down right embarrassing.

Offline loch

Re: Controlling house flies
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 04:24:38 PM »
You may have the flies breeding and living in your walls. I saw a house with that problem once. They discovered the source when they had new windows installed.

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 08:49:13 PM »
Do you work with a pest control company?  They should be able to advise you and maybe even have them come weekly until things start to improve. Also, do you have any other entrance/exits to your restaurant aside from the front door?  If so hopefully they have fly fans and or plastic strip curtains. I used to grab a couple staff members before we opened and go through the whole restaurant killing all flies we saw.
   Start with your pest control company

• Peace, Love & Pie
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 11:36:59 PM »
You may have the flies breeding and living in your walls. I saw a house with that problem once. They discovered the source when they had new windows installed.

Dave

That is very helpful (and terrifying) information. We'll take it up with our landlords! Yikes.

• Peace, Love & Pie
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 12:01:57 AM »
Do you work with a pest control company?  They should be able to advise you and maybe even have them come weekly until things start to improve. Also, do you have any other entrance/exits to your restaurant aside from the front door?  If so hopefully they have fly fans and or plastic strip curtains. I used to grab a couple staff members before we opened and go through the whole restaurant killing all flies we saw.
   Start with your pest control company

We've been DIYing it until now. We only have the one entrance/exit. Another restaurant owner in town mentioned talking to our landlord about adding a foyer or initial entry just before our existing entrance. It might be doable. We're not sure that we're going to stay in our current location long term, so we're a bit hesitant to go this route.

We definitely do Fly Swatter Patrols before we start operating for the day. The fly spray has helped but once we start opening to door to take payments and give customers their orders, it is an incredibly frustrating battle.

It just seems like other stores don't struggle with flies the same way we do. We've gone to other restaurants and don't observe flies in the same way that we see them in ours. But we have noticed that many of them have a foyer in addition to their entrance.

Our kitchen is totally exposed as well. There is no separation between our prep, cook, and dining areas. Could this play a part?

Offline loch

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 07:44:22 AM »
That is very helpful (and terrifying) information. We'll take it up with our landlords! Yikes.

I agree with Gianni5, especially in a commercial kitchen you want to be able to show a health inspector that you are working to solve the problem.

What the people with the house I mentioned finally did when extermination wasn't working was to contact an entomologist. Sounds odd I know but they were at their wits end. The  entomologist told them to seal/caulk around all windows and openings to seal the flies in the walls and they would suffocate. It actually worked and the fly problem ended.

This may not work for you if you share walls with another business or your venting system doesn't allow for it, but it can't hurt to get some caulk and try it.

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2022, 10:27:38 PM »
If you have windows spray the seals with Tempo. If they are in the walls, spray the seams.
Or.......hire a cowboy, stand him in the corner or just off the food line.

Offline Mchris78

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 06:23:07 PM »
Just curious if you have potted plants in your dining room or lobby?  The reason that I mention that is because I once decided to use regular "garden soil" to pot some indoor ferns.  Come to find out, the soil was LOADED with insect eggs and the warm indoor temps started a hatching/breeding frenzy.  Had to learn that lesson the hard way.