A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Ischia Starter Log  (Read 882 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Ischia Starter Log
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2022, 01:24:20 PM »
- once activated do I continue countertop once daily feeding, if so for how long?
- do I need to transition to the fridge at some point
- how soon can I start using the starter in pizza? I read on this forum some people recommend going for weeks before the culture is truly mature?

I prefer feeding 2 times a day over once a day for pizza as it tends to keep the sourness level down.  Once a day also works and what I do when I am making bread.  Ultimately you want to feed it enough so that when its ready for a feeding it has either just recently fallen, or it has not quite fallen yet.  I tend to go for the latter if I want to keep the sourness down. 

You don't have to put it in the fridge ever, but you also can... both work great.

Once your starter is doubling in size within 4 hours of feeding at room temp I think its ok to use. 

Offline tracy

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2022, 01:36:06 PM »
If you leave it on the counter at all times, I think the general rule of thumb is to feed it daily.  If you are an active baker and are in constant need of refreshed and active culture, that's fine.  However, it does result in a lot of waste, depending on how much of the culture you reserve to feed and how much you use every day to bake with.

I keep my cultures in the fridge because, at most, I only use them once a week.  If I recall correctly, the Classics Sourdough book that I mentioned previously suggests that you feed cultures stored in the refrigerator every two weeks.  This reduces the amount of flour I am using for feeding, and in turn, reduces the amount of culture discard from a 150-200 grams every day to 150-200 grams every two weeks.

What I do:  The morning that I am going to make the dough, I remove the culture from the fridge and prepare a small amount of active culture in a small glass jar that I will use for the dough.  I then put the culture back in the fridge and leave the active culture at room temperature on the counter for approximately 10 hours (since it's getting colder, I've started leaving the active culture jar in my proofing chamber).  That afternoon, I prepare my dough using the active culture (it will usually have doubled or tripled in volume over the 10 hours). 

Ultimately, this means that I have to plan out my dough in advance and don't have active culture on hand at all time, but in practice it hasn't been a problem since I follow a consistent schedule (prepare active culture Monday morning, make and knead the dough Monday afternoon and proof Monday afternoon and evening, then store the dough in the fridge for pizza on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday).

According to my notes from the previous post, I established my Ischia culture on 2022.02.14, and I considered it "established" on 2022.02.24.  I would have put it in the fridge after this, and my recollection is that I first prepared dough with it on 2022.02.28. 

Offline mpcovcd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2022, 01:55:16 PM »
Appreciate the insight! I think its "active" I fed it this morning and its 3x in size already. I will feed it again tonight and transition it to the fridge tomorrow morning!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2022, 02:10:03 PM »
Im glad that went smoothly without a need for a wash.    I don't know for sure on this, but I tend to keep feeding at room temp for a week once I reach this point to help mature the starter a bit. This doesn't mean you cant use it yet.   This could just be superstition and I have no scientific basis for suggesting this. 

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2022, 02:51:47 PM »
When I use mine, itís fed twice a day. Even thrice a few times in a hot summer. If I donít plan to use it for several days, I feed it a bit stiffer (3:18:14), let it sit an hour or two and then move it to the fridge. When I need it again, I take it out and let it rise with the flour I fed it before putting it in the fridge. From there I just keep feeding it 100% hydration. I can use it straight away, but usually feed it 2-3 times before putting it in a dough.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline mpcovcd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2022, 08:53:10 PM »
When I went to use my starter for the first time today I dissolved 4g into some salt water. Majority of it dissolved but a few pieces were very "gum like texture" and they would refuse to dissolve into the water. Is this normal?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2022, 08:55:24 PM »
Yes, I think you will be fine.

Offline mpcovcd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2022, 09:08:05 PM »
While I was looking around for answers looks like someone on this very forum had the exact same issue. Could be an issue with trying to dissolve the culture into the salt water which is causing it to seize up. Regardless went ahead with making the dough so we will see.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=58913.0#:~:text=Try%20adding%20the%20starter%20to,and%20it%20dissolves%20well%20enough.&text=It%20appears%20that%20you%20might,the%20flour%20in%20your%20starter.

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2022, 02:23:33 AM »
Mine will also do that if I donít stir it in with a whisker or spatula. Maybe more with salt present, I donít know since I divide the water and dissolve each ingredient in itís own water before combining.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

wordpress