A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Growing Mushrooms at Home for Pizza  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Growing Mushrooms at Home for Pizza
« on: November 15, 2022, 11:56:57 AM »
I've posted some photos of my mushroom-growing experiments on the "Garden 2022" topic:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=72731.msg722040#msg722040

The success has inspired me to expand the project and build a larger, dedicated fruiting chamber. I've created this new topic in case anyone wants to follow along on this journey. This topic has been placed in the "Pizza Toppings" section since most of the mushrooms I have been growing have been destined for pizzas. Is there anything better than a mushroom pizza (rhetorical question)?

Below is a photo of the chamber I am still building using a repurposed wine cooler. Obvious parameters such as temperature and humidity have PID controllers. Lights are on a timer. Having built chambers for fermenting dough and dry curing meats, what is new to me is the control of CO2 levels. Mushrooms pump out lots of CO2 as they metabolize the substrate into an edible mass. Too much CO2 will halt growth, so I have a PID controller with a CO2 sensor connected to an exhaust fan to bring in fresh air as needed. So far, it is working extremely well - although I am continuing to tweak. For example, my unheated garage, where this chamber is located, has gotten too cold with the onset of winter. I need to beef up the heating inside the chamber with a bigger seedling heating pad.

This chamber can support four blocks of substrate (~40 pounds). In the last photo you can see some chestnut mushrooms that have fruited and are well on there way to become pizza toppings. There are also 2 lion's mane blocks (my favorite!), and a black king block.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Growing Mushrooms at Home for Pizza
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 02:09:48 PM »
I think this week I'll be harvesting all 4 blocks. Here is the first one - blue oysters. Coming up in a few days: Lion's mane (2 blocks) and Black Trumpet.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 03:26:52 PM »
Not just beautiful mushrooms, but beautiful photos! ( and in my Jersey Pie Infant days, I was known to make a photo or two. Just Google Jersey Pie Infant photos.

Kidding, don't do that  :-D

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 10:36:20 PM »
Not just beautiful mushrooms, but beautiful photos!
Thank you, Bill!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 10:40:20 PM »
Here is Lion's Mane block #1. These are currently my favorite mushroom - subject to change without notice. I like to thickly slice, batter, and fry for tempura. Not sure how I might use them on pizza. I wonder if very thinly sliced and topped raw on a pizza (TXCraig1-style) would be good.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 10:20:27 AM »
The look great Bill.

I'm wondering how you will like the flavor of these...please let us know. I used to get some from a farmers market near me and I can always pick up cedar in all of the varieties. That is part of the substrate they were grown in.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 10:23:49 AM »
The look great Bill.

I'm wondering how you will like the flavor of these...please let us know. I used to get some from a farmers market near me and I can always pick up cedar in all of the varieties. That is part of the substrate they were grown in.

Thanks, Jeff. All of these were grown on a straw substrate. At some point I will create my own substrate using coffee grounds and pasturized straw. Maybe they will have a hint of coffee?  ;D

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 12:28:23 PM »
Yum, coffee mushrooms.

Offline Travinos_Pizza

• Sono Travis. Il mio ristorante č Travino’s Pizza
    • Travino's Pizza
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 12:42:26 PM »
I am jealous of those who enjoy the funghi.

I used to like mushrooms, but I have a horrific allergy to them when ingested. A true shame
- Travis

Offline fitzgen

• No Pizza Gods, No Pizza Masters
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2022, 01:44:12 PM »
Beautiful photos indeed! Can you elaborate on your photo process? Are you using a backdrop? Natural lighting?

Offline fitzgen

• No Pizza Gods, No Pizza Masters
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 01:48:38 PM »
Below is a photo of the chamber I am still building using a repurposed wine cooler.
Also: is the wine cooler frost-free? The one I use as a charcuterie chamber isn't and I've had to rig up a janky little drainage hose into a bucket for the precipitation that drips off the cooling plate in the back. Not happy with this at all, but it works for now. Hoping to upgrade to a full size frost-free fridge at some point. Have you had any of these kinds of issues?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 03:02:00 PM »
Also: is the wine cooler frost-free? The one I use as a charcuterie chamber isn't and I've had to rig up a janky little drainage hose into a bucket for the precipitation that drips off the cooling plate in the back. Not happy with this at all, but it works for now. Hoping to upgrade to a full size frost-free fridge at some point. Have you had any of these kinds of issues?

Neither my mushroom fruiting chamber nor my fermentation/proofing chamber is frost-free. I live in a VERY dry climate, so condensation is not something I have to deal with. My dry-curing chamber is frost-free.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 08:05:19 PM »
These are the Black King mushrooms. The inaugural run of my new fruiting chamber is now complete and a total success. Dialing in the right conditions for a range of mushroom varieties was easier than I thought.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 08:12:08 PM »
You must be very pleased, Bill. Everything looks so good, perfectly so.
-Tony

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2022, 08:16:37 PM »
You must be very pleased, Bill. Everything looks so good, perfectly so.

Thanks, Tony. Very pleased, although I was caught off guard by how quickly and how many. Working on a plan to cook them up ASAP.   

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2022, 10:03:27 AM »
Looking great

You can always dry the excess, they last for an age then and can be used in all manner of things, like grinded for rubs, thickening stews, flavouring oil. Or look up mushroom ketchup recipes for using large amounts  fresh

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2022, 10:11:28 AM »
Looking great

You can always dry the excess, they last for an age then and can be used in all manner of things, like grinded for rubs, thickening stews, flavouring oil. Or look up mushroom ketchup recipes for using large amounts  fresh

Thanks, Hanglow, for the suggestions. I do dry many of the mushrooms that I forage. In my limited experience with these ones I am cultivating at home: they have delicate flavors that seem to wane after a few days. I may dry some to see if those flavors are retained. Unfortunately, my schedule is slammed right now preparing for some upcoming travel, so I still don't have a plan for how I'm going to use this precious harvest. I really hadn't thought this through. I'm going to try today to make some mushroom stroganoff with some of the blue oysters.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2022, 02:57:55 PM »
Here is Lion's Mane block #1. These are currently my favorite mushroom - subject to change without notice. I like to thickly slice, batter, and fry for tempura. Not sure how I might use them on pizza. I wonder if very thinly sliced and topped raw on a pizza (TXCraig1-style) would be good.
Bill,

You may already be aware of this, but the Lion's Mane mushrooms are deemed by many to be very healthy. To cite an example, I have been trying out a dry organic Lion's Mane product that I uncovered along the way. You might find the following information that I saw on the package to be of interest to you.

Don't let appearances fool you. These feathery mushrooms are heavyweight champs when it comes to knocking out brain fog and boosting brain power. The antioxidants in this mushroom help to support the aging process where we need it most, in our brain. Just a half a teaspoon of Pure Lion's Mane delivers 1,000 mg of these super mushrooms to keep you razor sharp and focused throughout the day.

-Supports memory, focus, and alertness

-Supports a healthy nervous system

-Supports creativity and mood

Given that the FDA does not act or rule on the safety or effectiveness of products such as discussed above, I tend to keep that in mind when I try nutritional products. But that does not mean that they can't or shouldn't be used. And mushrooms in general have long been considered to be healthy.  And, in your case, drying some of your Lion's Mane mushrooms might be an option for you to consider.

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2022, 05:09:13 PM »

-Supports memory, focus, and alertness

Thank you, Peter, for that very interesting information. Although I know that many varieties are grown for purported medicinal benefits, I had no idea that Lion's Mane was so coveted. I just ate about a pound of fresh ones (mushrooms stroganoff) so my cognitive faculties must now be extremely ..... what was I saying? Oh, never mind.

Bill

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2022, 05:45:31 PM »
Thank you, Peter, for that very interesting information. Although I know that many varieties are grown for purported medicinal benefits, I had no idea that Lion's Mane was so coveted. I just ate about a pound of fresh ones (mushrooms stroganoff) so my cognitive faculties must now be extremely ..... what was I saying? Oh, never mind.

Bill
:-D  While we are on this road, as someone who sees an awful lot of doctors, it is important that one quickly be able to cite supplements and anything else taken for medicinal purposes that is not a prescription. There are just too many conflicts out there to do otherwise. A note kept on one’s phone is an easy way to keep and update it.
-Tony

wordpress