A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sonora-style Flour Tortillas?  (Read 606 times)

Offline hotsawce

Sonora-style Flour Tortillas?
« on: June 15, 2021, 09:24:10 AM »
Does anyone have a great Sonoro-style flour tortilla recipe? I saw a restaurant in LA, Sonoratown, on "Taco Chronicales" on Netflix (asada episode) making them and they looked fantastic.

As I understand it, some people use baking powder and others don't (Sonoratown seems to use baking powder, some seem to think you don't need it for a puff.

5 lbs of flour, 2 tsp of baking powder, 14.5oz of melted lard (mentioned in the video.) Water amount not specified, but it looked like a partially filled six pan. Mixed, balled into tray, then pressed (not rolled!) They looked fantastic.

https://honest-food.net/how-to-make-homemade-flour-tortillas/ this was an interesting recipe but the water amount seems very high?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Sonora-style Flour Tortillas?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 09:32:32 AM »

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 10:10:15 AM »
Here's one I came across and saved because of her tortilla stretching skills @ about 15 minutes in.

Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 10:11:40 AM »
Awesome, thank you! I will give this a try. It's surprisingly difficult to find tortilla recipes by weight! Corn included.

Is your dough soft, but no so sticky, that it could be pressed in a tortilla press? I didn't think it was possible but a few people do get them to size this way rather than rolling.

Asada with this tortilla and a few good salsas...can't wait  >:D

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=12144.msg114266#msg114266

Rendered beef fat, no baking powder.

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 10:13:10 AM »

https://honest-food.net/how-to-make-homemade-flour-tortillas/ this was an interesting recipe but the water amount seems very high?

They use 7/8ths of a cup, not 7 or 8 cups.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 10:23:45 AM »
I'm aware. That's still around 70 to mid 70s hydration unless my math is off

They use 7/8ths of a cup, not 7 or 8 cups.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 10:32:25 AM »
Awesome, thank you! I will give this a try. It's surprisingly difficult to find tortilla recipes by weight! Corn included.

Is your dough soft, but no so sticky, that it could be pressed in a tortilla press? I didn't think it was possible but a few people do get them to size this way rather than rolling.

Asada with this tortilla and a few good salsas...can't wait  >:D

This dough should be elastic so it can be stretched as thin as possible without tearing. I doubt a tortilla press can achieve that level of thinness. 

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 11:15:38 AM »
video from Sonoratown.

I'll have to try both. What I do want to avoid is rolling them out in flour....a good roller may help.

edit: do you have a weight you like for these (say, 5 to 6" tortilla?)

This dough should be elastic so it can be stretched as thin as possible without tearing. I doubt a tortilla press can achieve that level of thinness.

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 11:17:23 AM »
Here's an interesting take....on getting extra thin tortillas. 
The recipe is at roughly 70% hydration.
https://ladyandpups.com/2021/05/13/paper-thin-soft-chewy-sonoran-style-flour-tortilla/

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 11:18:53 AM »
I'll have to try both. What I do want to avoid is rolling them out in flour....a good roller may help.

If you make these, please consider posting your results in this month's challenge:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=69969.msg672917#msg672917

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 11:22:16 AM »
The addition of baking powder is probably what allows the dough to be malleable enough to press. Probably added for mass production, so they don't have to be stretched by hand.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 11:47:41 AM »
Baking powder does not increase malleability.... I'd guess the lard does that for their tortillas (clocks in around 18% if the 5lb flour to 14.5oz lard measurement is accurate.) I'd wager baking powder is used to increase the volume or help with puff for their tortillas.

The addition of baking powder is probably what allows the dough to be malleable enough to press. Probably added for mass production, so they don't have to be stretched by hand.

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 01:39:03 PM »
Yeah, I dunno.  I figured on typical double action: leavens the raw dough as well as gives a 2nd rising in heat activation. Leavened dough has a pronounced softness compared to unleavened... hence, malleability.
I have only seen mechanical presses used for flour tortilla production. At 70% hydration, that Sonora dough doesn't sound difficult to hand press, either...but I surely have no experience with making them.  I know, I should !
All the home-made flour tortillas I have witnessed being made were rolled out or slapped open in the hand. I have used a hand press to make pitas, corn tortillas, empanada crust, and chapati...It's gotta work!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 01:44:47 PM »
Yeah, I dunno.  I figured on typical double action: leavens the raw dough as well as gives a 2nd rising in heat activation. Leavened dough has a pronounced softness compared to unleavened... hence, malleability.
I have only seen mechanical presses used for flour tortilla production. At 70% hydration, that Sonora dough doesn't sound difficult to hand press, either...but I surely have no experience with making them.  I know, I should !
All the home-made flour tortillas I have witnessed being made were rolled out or slapped open in the hand. I have used a hand press to make pitas, corn tortillas, empanada crust, and chapati...It's gotta work!

I dunno. Reesa. This very special type of tortilla is thinner than paper. It's a different animal. I still struggle with getting them uniformly thin.

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 02:02:13 PM »
Yeah, Bill, I wonder! 
Thin are not my favorite, but I do know many tortilla making grannies who make this style all over the city.  :-D  I doubt if any of them use a press even with thicker styles of tortilla.   I also don't know many who use baking powder for tortillas.
I still want to attempt these, but we go from not eating tortillas for long stretches, then when we want burritos, I end up buying too many to ever get my tortilla cooking hat on. 
My press has quite the small footprint, so I can't imagine having a thin flour tortilla that little.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2021, 02:09:55 PM »
Bill, do you have a photo of what a doughball might look like for these flour tortillas? I've seen some in videos that look soft but not sticky... just trying to see what I should expect.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2021, 02:37:12 PM »
Bill, do you have a photo of what a doughball might look like for these flour tortillas? I've seen some in videos that look soft but not sticky... just trying to see what I should expect.

I don't think so. I may end up doing a batch of these later in the month for the June challenge, so I'll try to take photos or videos. Especially interesting to record is the moment of truth when the giant, thin, delicate tortilla has a bad landing on the comal and gets all wrinkled and folded and deformed.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 10:52:40 PM »
I bought a 10" tortilla press a few years ago, Still never used it.  :-D I want to though, but these damn naan mini's and tortilla boats have made me forget about all that extra work. BTW, naan mini's equal chalupa shells. But you need to have taco shell tongs and a fryer deep enough to submerge them in 350F oil for no more the 30-45 seconds. :chef:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 10:55:52 PM by FeCheF »

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 01:59:22 PM »
Weight on the dough?

I don't think so. I may end up doing a batch of these later in the month for the June challenge, so I'll try to take photos or videos. Especially interesting to record is the moment of truth when the giant, thin, delicate tortilla has a bad landing on the comal and gets all wrinkled and folded and deformed.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2021, 05:10:11 PM »
Weight on the dough?

Less clumsiness.

wordpress