A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Ooni Pro question  (Read 1930 times)

Offline ecelis

• I Love Pizza!
Ooni Pro question
« on: April 22, 2020, 01:06:24 PM »
Hello, I just ordered an Ooni Pro and included the propane gas burner for its convenience and better heat production as compared to wood. I love the smokiness of wood-fired pizza, so my question is "when using the gas burner, would it be possible to put in the back of the oven a chunk of wood wrapped in foil (with a few holes) to create smoke and enhance the flavor?" Any other suggestions?

Offline unchained

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Ooni Pro question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 08:21:54 AM »
I don't understand the 'better heat production'...i would think wood would be much hotter than gas.

Use big huge pieces of wood and you'll not be wanting for heat and will have good time in the zone for making great pizzas.

I start with charcoal, light it with a torch, leave it for 10 minutes, while that's happening I warm up a log by leaving it by the front door. After a few minutes I put the log on the coal. You can see log sizes in the pics.

A few minutes later I then put a bigger log by the front door to preheat it. I like to always put warm logs on the fire. After a few minutes when that log is warm I put it on (2 now) and go make my first pizza.

When I come down the oven is around 850 Fahrenheit at the door, the floor is roasting, the flames are rolling and I get to cooking. I can make 2 or 3 that way. If I were making half a dozen pizzas, I reckon I'd just keep the cycle going with preheated logs.

I say logs...i don't use chunks. They're too small, burn too fast .  I take a 6-8 inch diameter 14-16"long firewood log and split/quarter it, then take each quarter and them down the middle to 6-10" to fit in the Ooni Pro. I usually cut one shorter than the other as the wood burning area is tapered.

I made a video the other night showing the cooking to give an idea of the side of the logs. This is a few  different pizzas cooking mixed into the one video.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 09:29:49 AM »
Very nice video and pizza.

Offline bel4_20

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 01:28:21 PM »
Great video and pics for sure! I think after seeing this I might have my mind made up on which oven I'm going to buy, the versatility of it is too good to just getting an oven that's just gas or just wood.

Offline unchained

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 12:38:15 PM »
Yeah for the first year I had my Ooni Pro I was alwats a bit annoyed.

1.  Heat was never right for long enough (solved with wood logs)

2.  Dough never really came out right unless I worked it by hand for 20 minutes.  Solved this by upgrading to a stand mixer with a spiral dough hook (kitchenaid pro 600) and now the machine does great work.  That was inspired by this video.  The c shaped hook was useless on my old kitchenaid Artisan mixer.

Now I'm super happy with my pizzas every time.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress