A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Re-Engineering Buffalo, NY style  (Read 28501 times)

Offline machineman

• Pizza from BUF > ALL
Re: Re-Engineering Buffalo, NY style
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2021, 05:32:19 PM »
Well, I finally gave it a shot! Attached are some pics of the first attempt.

Dough
- Dough is from this thread (58, 2, 1, <1) - made 2 ~21oz balls with 750g flour.
- Kneaded for 10 mins by hand (no mixer)
- Balled and set in fridge covered overnight for 24 hours
- Stretched by hand and topped right out of the fridge
- Baked for 550 on middle rack for 12 minutes on aluminum sheet pan with lard

Sauce
- 1 part Red Pack pizza sauce
- 1 part Full Red tomato puree heavy
- 1/2 part water (OG's note said 1 part water, but that would have seemed too runny)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar, just taking a stab

Cheese
- Galbani (Sorrento) 1lb brick hand-shredded
- Several shakes of oregano on top of cheese before baking

Pepperoni
- right hand side: Boards Head stick, slicked by hand, thin-ish
- left hand side: Bridgeford Old World stick, sliced by hand. Yuck. Boars head wins until I get get some Margerita or Battistoni down here in Florida!

Results
- Bottom was not crispy enough
- Dough did not rise in the oven much
- Was not thick enough (I think I stretched it to thin)
- Was tase but floppy and a little bit dough-y
- Sauce was good but the tomato and sweet were almost "separate" tastes, if that makes sense
- Cheese was on point
- Cheese started to get too brown, and there was a huge air pocket building up at 12 minutes
- Pepperoni crisped up better than expected!

My other dough ball I am going to do everything the same except for the bake. I plan on making the stretch smaller and thicker, and lowering the bake position 1 shelf closer to the bottom of the oven.

I feel like I may need to leave it in there longer, but I don't know how the cheese will fare. Perhaps next experiment will be a slightly lower oven temp, 525, low baking position.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 09:47:49 AM by machineman »

Offline machineman

• Pizza from BUF > ALL
« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2021, 09:43:47 AM »
Following up, I ended up using the 2nd dough ball yesterday... so the same dough, but I made some tweaks to the rest of the process.

I am much more pleased with this one, although not quite there yet!

- 48 hour cold ferment
- Rolled the dough (instead of stretch) and to a smaller, thicker size. I was unhappy with the thickness/rise of the bake in my last one
- Lowered the bake position to the 2nd lowest in the oven

The bottom was crispier, but still not quite crisp enough. However, the thickness and texture of the interior was darn near perfect! The cheese still got more well done than I would like so had to pull it out.

I am going to try turning the temp down from 550 to 525 to see if I can get more time to cook the bottom, and the pepperoni will still char with a longer bake time.

Very happy with the edge crisping on the pan, etc... very Bocce like :)

How do you guys get the crisp/char pepperoni and the cheese still white and melty!?? Seems impossible!

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2021, 04:21:45 PM »
Is Buffalo Pizza that thick?

Offline machineman

• Pizza from BUF > ALL
« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2021, 02:00:35 PM »
Is Buffalo Pizza that thick?

Generally, yes. It's roughly sicilian thickness. But it's softer and more foccacia like. It stands up to lots of heavy toppings without being floppy, ideally :)

Offline FloridaBocces

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2021, 06:26:46 PM »
How do you guys get the crisp/char pepperoni and the cheese still white and melty!?? Seems impossible!

I have had good luck microwaving the pepperoni for 30-45 seconds before putting it on the pie and in the oven.

Yours looked pretty good to me.

Offline Falls4Life

« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2021, 08:54:05 AM »
@machineman

I battled the same issue with the toppings being done well before the bottom. Sometimes the bottom is darn near raw.
I found that it is the aluminum pans more than the recipe or temperature. Those pans just reflect too much heat.
I purchased a piece of baking steel and let that come to temp for an hour or so during pre heat. Then I place the aluminum pan on that. That should solve your main issue. It more closely mimics a standard pizza oven by having direct heat.

Offline GPalmer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2021, 01:36:02 AM »
As regional cuisine and Pizza grows within our current state of food culture, I often wonder what happened to true Buffalo, New York style pizza. ...
Back from the dead because, you Sir, ROCK!  ;D

Offline cola__st

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2021, 10:41:31 AM »
Been workin on this for minute. I think Im now about as close as a Canadian is gonna get to proper Buffalo pie.

2 day dough. 62% hydration
Oven around 575. About 8-9 minutes in the pan, then a minute or so onto the deck to finish the bottom a bit.

Sauce is made with Stanislaus tomato magic. Cant get Red Pack up here. Using Venetian pepperoni.

Since my first post in this thread this whole thing has kinda grown for me. Started making some pies for friends.. which quickly grew into friends of friends.. which soon grew to complete strangers. Im now doing a weekly takeout night. Slowly working my way towards opening my own spot in St. Catharines, ON.

This thread and the info contained in it has been so helpful to me. Jay is the king. Thanks for all the help big dog.

If ya wanna check it out, Im at @stcatharinesboss on Instagram.

Offline machineman

• Pizza from BUF > ALL
« Reply #128 on: July 11, 2021, 01:40:04 PM »
Really looks great cola, and congrats on your progression toward opening a shop!

Would love to do something similar here, but in the US (Florida at least) we can't prepare food in a home kitchen for any sort of public distribution (maybe for free? You didn't mention if you are selling them!)

Looking forward to your progress, your pies look amazing! And ya know, if you feel like sharing the entire dough recipe I wouldn't say no :)

Is that a regular pizza deck oven you have?

Offline GPalmer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2022, 05:50:22 PM »
Been workin on this for minute. I think Im now about as close as a Canadian is gonna get to proper Buffalo pie.
I lived many years in Buffalo, that looks right for a Buffalo pizza.