Pepperoni in Europe?

Started by been, February 13, 2018, 04:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

been

Hi everyone,

I have been doing a bit of searching around on the forums and have not been able to find any European-based pepperoni suppliers here in Europe.

I know that we have a country called Italy on this side of the Atlantic, and that of course there are lots of amazing Pizza-friendly cured meats to be found there, but as you all know, US-style pepperoni (like the stuff you get from Ezzo or Salumeria Biellese) is actually not so easy to find!  I don't want to use a replacement like Chorizo as some people have recommended.  I want to get as close as possible to the good stuff from America.

So my question is: has anyone found a decent supplier here in Europe?  If there is already a thread about this, please forgive me - I am still learning how to use the search function.

Regards,

Brook

Essen1

Brock,

You most likely won't find Ezzo-style pepperoni in Europe. Well, they don't even call it pepperoni. What you need to look for is something called 'salame piccante'.

Also, chorizo might be indeed a good sub for pepperoni. Chorizo in Europe is completely different than what is sold here.

Hope that helps.
Mike

"All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I'm capable of; you should make the best you're capable of. I don't want to make somebody else's pizza." ~ Chris Bianco

Gianni5

Ditto to what Mike said
Salame piccante
Calabrese salame
Sopressata piccante

Essen1

Here's a pie that is topped with "Salame Piccante". Looks great, imho.

Mike

"All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I'm capable of; you should make the best you're capable of. I don't want to make somebody else's pizza." ~ Chris Bianco

been

Quote from: Essen1 on February 13, 2018, 08:03:48 PM
Here's a pie that is topped with "Salame Piccante". Looks great, imho.

I agree - it does look great, nothing to be humble about ;-) And I know that I have a lot of good options here, including ones that are not available in the US.

However ... it would be a huge surprise to me if, in 2018, there is nobody making good US-style pepperoni in Europe.  A huge surprise.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Essen1

Quote from: been on February 14, 2018, 11:49:18 AM

However ... it would be a huge surprise to me if, in 2018, there is nobody making good US-style pepperoni in Europe.  A huge surprise.

You might have to dig deep. Really deep.

My gut tells me to start looking in the UK or Ireland, then perhaps the Netherlands. Maybe even Germany. I'd use the Google engine in their respective countries.
Mike

Essen1

Mike

TXCraig1

Unfortunately, none of the alternatives mentioned taste much of anything like American pepperoni. I spent quite a few years in the meat business including a couple years at Hormel, and i can't remember ever hearing about pepperoni being sold anywhere in Europe under any name. It's a very distinctly American product, and I'm not surprised at all that you are having difficulty finding it.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Essen1

Quote from: TXCraig1 on February 14, 2018, 12:42:53 PM
Unfortunately, none of the alternatives mentioned taste much of anything like American pepperoni. I spent quite a few years in the meat business including a couple years at Hormel, and i can't remember ever hearing about pepperoni being sold anywhere in Europe under any name. It's a very distinctly American product, and I'm not surprised at all that you are having difficulty finding it.

I'm afraid this is correct.

I have never seen any type of American pepperoni in Europe on any Italian pizzeria menu, with the exception of chorizo and the aforementioned salame piccante. Regular salami, on the other hand, is a regular staple on pizzas over there.
Mike

Essen1

Well, actually there might be an option that'll get you actually pretty close. "Salsiccia napoletana piccante". Apparently, that's what pepperoni is based on...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepperoni#History

And if you look at the Italian companies that produce Salsiccia napoletana piccante, their products look very similar. Now, the taste may vary somewhat and sometimes you got to work with what's available.

Or have someone send you a few pepperoni sticks from the US. Whether the package makes it through customs in your country (EU) without being confiscated is another story, though.

http://www.segata.com/ww-en/spicy-pure-pork-napoli-sausage.aspx

http://www.salumificiobrugnolo.it/po_linea_brugnol/salame-piccante/
Mike

TXCraig1

Another thing about pepperoni is that it's typically (but not always) made from pork and beef which I'm guessing is also not particularly common in Europe?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

been

Craig, Mike, Gianni - thanks for the links and info.  I will follow up.

Let's just say that I definitely have the motivation to continue the search.  I may even Macgyver the situation and speak with a meat supplier I know here in Germany.  I will have a look around the forum for pepperoni recipes, unless anyone is feeling generous with a couple of links...?   :D

Zing

The first pepperoni pizza I ever had was from Pizza Hut (Thin'Crispy), probably 45 years ago. I still get a craving for it once in a while, though the local franchisee turns out a terrible product these days. I did eat at Pizza Hut in the UK a few times in the 80's, where pepperoni was on the menu. The pepperoni was probably locally made, and I remember it tasted quite a bit different from what was sold in the USA at the time. It is still on pizzahut.co.uk's menu.

Has anybody tried the pepperoni pizza from Pizza Hut in Germany? Their menu is in both German and English:

English:
https://www.pizzahut.de/en/
German:
https://www.pizzahut.de/

German Pizza Huts call it Rinderpeperoniwurst.

If Pizza Hut's Rinderpeperoniwurst is close to American Pizza Hut's, going through Pizza Hut's trash may determine where they get it from in Germany. Just look for the "EV" number on the box and look it up on the directory of inspected German meat plants.

Dwain

I was stationed in Germany late 80(s) and Italy in the 90(s). I ate at the Pizza Hut in Heidelberg and it was (as I recall) very close if not spot on to The American version. In Italy, when ordering a pepperoni pizza you'd be presented with pepperocini peppers atop your pie. So, we just started ordering off the menu and quit trying to make the best pizza we ever had Americanized.
~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~  Big Deck BBQ and Brew

MadMatt

British supermarkets sell pre-sliced pepperoni  of their own supermarkets brand

Most are what they call German pepperoni, made in Germany.. One or two are Danish.

I imagine if you have a Lidl or Aldi in your country they might have some. 

MadMatt

British supermarkets sell pre-sliced pepperoni  but they're always their own supermarkets brand (correct me if I'm wrong)

Most are what they call German pepperoni, made in Germany.. One or two are Danish.

I imagine if you have a Lidl  or Aldi in your country they might have some. 

Essen1

Old thread, I know, but there's finally a source for American Pepperoni here in Germany. And it's a cup n char, no less.

https://kreutzers.eu/peperoni-pizza-salami-1000g

Just thought I'd post it here for the guys in Europe looking for pepperoni.
Mike