A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Koda 16 hacks summarized  (Read 20827 times)

Offline ADP

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Koda 16 hacks summarized
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2021, 01:44:16 AM »
I have experimented with some several turntable configurations described earlier in this thread, all with lazy susan bearings, and have never seen any deformation.  Lately I have settled on the 16.5-inch cordierite stone on a 6-inch lazy susan bearing.  Since then, I have made maybe a few dozen pizzas in six or eight sessions.  To be honest, only one session was at full NP temps (>900F).  I prefer 3-4 minute cooks, launching at about 800F on the center of the stone.  My setup is working smooth as silk, and making great pizzas.

As I am not on Facebook, all I know about the kit that I think you are referring to is what Morrissey posted in this thread.  Frankly, I was a bit horrified to see what he had to do to his oven to accommodate the fat spindle assembly.  I only have a 3/8-inch hole in my oven floor, just outside of the shield.

The bearing in that kit looks like machined stainless, which should be a great.  I would still want to insure that any grease or oil has been removed with a solvent and replaced with powdered graphite, as I have described for the de-zinced lazy susan bearings.

Obviously I don't have any money-making motive to advocate my approach over others.  I tried to come up with the simplest, cheapest, and most accessible solution for myself, and then to describe it here so that others can DIY-it too.  This is why all of the parts are easily found on Amazon or at a local hardware store. 

Others may find that a kit approach is more appealing, but IMO this one does not look like an easy fit on the Koda 16. 

Hi,

Is your Lazy Susan still doing well?

Question: Above you stated that it is best to lubricate the Lazy Susan with something like "powdered graphite" lubricant. I have never used that. Is it safe to use? Do I need to be careful in any way when applying or while it is in the oven?

Offline donstavely

• Peace and Pizza
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2021, 10:49:18 AM »
Hi,
Is your Lazy Susan still doing well?
Question: Above you stated that it is best to lubricate the Lazy Susan with something like "powdered graphite" lubricant. I have never used that. Is it safe to use? Do I need to be careful in any way when applying or while it is in the oven?

Yes, it is working slick as can be.  In fact, i used it in the garage throughout the winter here in Colorado.*

The powdered graphite is very inert and benign, as it is basically pure carbon.  As a lubricant it is good to 2400F!  I trust it far more than I would any grease or oil.  You are going to ingest infinitely more carbon from the char on the bottom of your pizza, IMO. 

You will notice that if you have properly degreased and de-zinced your lazy susan bearing, it will be quite sticky and will not turn smoothly at all.  Before putting the bearing in the oven, shoot some graphite in the bearing races, give it a spin, shake it out, and you are good to go.  It will stay put under the stone and will not need to be reapplied for months (years?).  I would take it back out of the oven if I felt the need to reapply, which I haven't in more than a year.

* I know that these gas ovens should only be used outdoors.  I had to remove the bottom shield when I did my turntable mod, so I adjusted the air intakes on the venturi's to minimize the yellow flame, which minimizes carbon monoxide production.**  It is probably equivalent to haveing all the burners on my gas cooktop on at the same time. I leave a door open to be safe.   

** Others on this forum have actually done the opposite.  They argue that a sooty yellow flame cooks better, perhaps because it is more like a wood-fired oven.  Those of us who have fired up a full-size commercial wood-fired oven know that while it is initially smokey, once up to temperature it burns very efficiently, with little smoke and no soot at all.   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 11:01:52 AM by donstavely »

Offline ADP

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2021, 01:41:11 PM »
Yes, it is working slick as can be.  In fact, i used it in the garage throughout the winter here in Colorado.*

The powdered graphite is very inert and benign, as it is basically pure carbon.  As a lubricant it is good to 2400F!  I trust it far more than I would any grease or oil.  You are going to ingest infinitely more carbon from the char on the bottom of your pizza, IMO. 

You will notice that if you have properly degreased and de-zinced your lazy susan bearing, it will be quite sticky and will not turn smoothly at all.  Before putting the bearing in the oven, shoot some graphite in the bearing races, give it a spin, shake it out, and you are good to go.  It will stay put under the stone and will not need to be reapplied for months (years?).  I would take it back out of the oven if I felt the need to reapply, which I haven't in more than a year.

* I know that these gas ovens should only be used outdoors.  I had to remove the bottom shield when I did my turntable mod, so I adjusted the air intakes on the venturi's to minimize the yellow flame, which minimizes carbon monoxide production.**  It is probably equivalent to haveing all the burners on my gas cooktop on at the same time. I leave a door open to be safe.   

** Others on this forum have actually done the opposite.  They argue that a sooty yellow flame cooks better, perhaps because it is more like a wood-fired oven.  Those of us who have fired up a full-size commercial wood-fired oven know that while it is initially smokey, once up to temperature it burns very efficiently, with little smoke and no soot at all.

Thanks!

Thanks for confirming. I read that too somewhere (not toxic) but was wondering about how fine of a powder it is. I know that not all powders are alike but was wondering if its so fine that you would need a mask while putting some on the bearing? Also, some use the manual rotation approach, so the Lazy Susan may be handled more often.

I read that some artists use powdered graphite too. Here is an example that I saw on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016Z6TYR2/?tag=pmak-20

I live in Montreal, Canada.
This past winter was relatively mild but what I would do is check out the long range forecast and plan ahead so that I can use it outdoors. At least this past winter, there was always a day or 2 during the week where it was warm enough to do it outside. So this past winter, I made plenty of pizzas! I also used it to make me some steaks, salmon, pork chops!

My flame is more on the yellow side. I noticed that Ooni videos from people in Europe tend to have a more bluish color relative to us in North America.

Offline donstavely

• Peace and Pizza
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2021, 11:25:53 AM »
Powdered grapite is very fine - like talcum powder.  You will get your fingers smudged black while applying, but but it is easy and quick.  Do it once and forget about it unless/until your stone starts turning rough a year or so from now.  Here again is the cheapest I have found:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V4B366G/?tag=pmak-20
So how hard can it be if Cub Scouts put it on the wheels of theit Pinewood Derby cars and artists smear it on their drawings with their fingers?  No mask necessary (except for Covid).  ;)

I noticed on my oven that the rear burner was mostly blue but the left burner was much more yellow.  I opened up the air vent on the left venturi to get them to match.   

Offline ADP

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2021, 12:46:47 AM »
Powdered grapite is very fine - like talcum powder.  You will get your fingers smudged black while applying, but but it is easy and quick.  Do it once and forget about it unless/until your stone starts turning rough a year or so from now.  Here again is the cheapest I have found:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V4B366G/?tag=pmak-20
So how hard can it be if Cub Scouts put it on the wheels of theit Pinewood Derby cars and artists smear it on their drawings with their fingers?  No mask necessary (except for Covid).  ;)

I noticed on my oven that the rear burner was mostly blue but the left burner was much more yellow.  I opened up the air vent on the left venturi to get them to match.   

Yeah, if they let Cub Scouts use it, yes. Thanks.

Offline AlbertVank

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2021, 10:21:43 AM »
I recently noticed two things in my Koda. The upper internal ceiling has a reddish built up, results of continuous flame hitting the metal and possibly causing some sort of heat treatment....I wrote an email to Ooni CS and they toldme it's totally fine and that I can use a Stainless Steel cleaner (Bar Keepers Friend or Weiman's).
The other issue is that the stone doesn't come clean with temperature all the way near the entrance. We all had at some point of time some "sliding" problems from peel to oven and sticky dough, my stone comes super white clean near the burners but remains stained near the entrance....

Offline donstavely

• Peace and Pizza
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2021, 11:00:42 AM »
Yeah, the stone not burning off in the front is a problem.  Ooni did a dumb thing putting those useless "ears" on it.  If they weren't there, it would simply be a matter of turning the stone 180 degrees between sessions.

Offline AlbertVank

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2021, 11:13:34 AM »
Yeah, the stone not burning off in the front is a problem.  Ooni did a dumb thing putting those useless "ears" on it.  If they weren't there, it would simply be a matter of turning the stone 180 degrees between sessions.

You are very right, and even one of the best "Biscotto" you can buy (yes they ship to USA) from Fiesole Arte in Italy (link below) is designed with those ears.... probably I will at some point look for a compatible one without ears

https://shop.fiesoliarte.com/prodotto/piastra-per-ooni-koda-16/

Offline jake14mw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2022, 01:35:38 PM »
Wow, what a great thread!

I don't even have my Koda 16 yet, and I'm already thinking of modding it! :-D

My current thought is to install a manually rotating stone.  Most of the originally linked stones are out of stock, does anyone have any current suggestions?  I think it would be helpful for the stone to have some sort of groove or something underneath to prevent it from moving on the lazy susan.  Has anyone had issues with this? 

I found this stone on Amazon with I think just a smooth bottom, any feedback on this one?  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XVKLZ5D/?tag=pmak-20

I know I'm jumping the gun here, I will certainly try out the oven without any hacks first to see if I think the hacks are worth it to me, and if so, which ones.  I would love to hear anyone's updates with their hacks and how they worked out!

Offline donstavely

• Peace and Pizza
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2022, 01:00:35 PM »
Hey guys, it's 20F and snowing here in Colorado, and I am staying home as much as possible due to Omicron.  I am bored and need a project.  Here is a proposal to the Koda 16 owners out there:  What if I made a batch of 6-inch lazy susan bearings, de-greased, de-zinced and graphite lubricated?  One of these and a 16-inch round codierite stone from Amazon gets you a manual rotating stone, with NO mods to your oven.  This IMO is the easiest and best upgrade you can make to your Koda.  And if you have read this thread, you know that I have tried 'em all  :)

Let's say $20 to cover my material, shipping, and a little something for my time and effort, payable via PayPal.  Trust me, I am not trying to make a business out of this.  It is probably a one-batch project.  I  have described exactly how you can do this yourself, but I get the feeling that some folks maybe don't trust themselves, or are are too busy for DIY projects. 

I'll do it if at least six or seven people say that they are interested by relying here.  What do you think?

BTW, here is a 16.5-inch round stone on Amazon for $35 that is actually in stock:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IF2ZNM/?tag=pmak-20
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 03:02:06 PM by donstavely »

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2022, 01:23:33 PM »
Hey guys, it's 20F and snowing here in Colorado, and I am staying home as much as possible due to Omicron.  I am bored and need a project.  Here is a proposal to the Koda 16 owners out there:  What if I made a batch of 6-inch lazy susan bearings, de-greased, de-zinced and graphite lubricated?  One of these and a 16-inch round codierite stone from Amazon gets you a manual rotating stone, with NO mods to your oven.  This IMO is the easiest and best upgrade you can make to your Koda.  And if you have read this thread, you know that I have tried 'em all  :)

Let's say $20 to cover my material, shipping, and a little something for my time and effort, payable via PayPal.  Trust me, I am not trying to make a business out of this.  It is probably a one-batch project.  I  have described exactly how you can do this yourself, but I get the feeling that some folks maybe don't trust themselves, or are are too busy for DIY projects. 

I'll do it if at least six or seven people say that they are interested by relying here.  What do you think?

BTW, here is a 16.5-inch round stone on Amazon for $35 that is actually in stock:

Check your PMs

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2022, 10:18:26 AM »
^^ too bad not enough people are interested in donstavely's lazy susan.  [Indirectly preventing me from getting one]

Offline donstavely

• Peace and Pizza
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2022, 05:07:03 PM »
Hey all.  I have enough folks interested that I am ready to commit to making a batch of lazy susan bearings for a Koda 16 rotating stone.  As a reminder, this can be used with a round stone for manual rotation with no mods to the oven.  It can also be used as the bearing for a motorized stone with a hole in the floor for a spindle, per the descriptions earlier in this thread.  You will get the degreased, dezinced, graphite lubricated 6" roller bearing, plus enough extra graphite re-lube if you need to.  I haven't after several dozen sessions.

I got a PM question about whether this bearing would work in a Koda 12.  Here is my answer:

I actually saw a couple YouTube videos of rotating stones on the Koda 12, so it clearly is possible.  The only issue I can see is whether the 6" lazy susan will rest flat on the floor of the oven.  On the 16, the floor has a stamped pattern of features about 1/4" deep, as well as pop rivets in various places.  The bearing happens to sit level on the ribs and avoids the rivets.  It looks like the 12 has a simpler floor since the gas hardware is in the back rather than underneath.  My guess is that you can make it work.  You may have to add some leveling hardware (nuts and bolts on one or two corners) if it doesn't sit flat.  Use stainless hardware to avoid zinc, available at Ace Hardware.

Offline jake14mw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2022, 12:18:35 PM »
Hey all.  I have enough folks interested that I am ready to commit to making a batch of lazy susan bearings for a Koda 16 rotating stone.  As a reminder, this can be used with a round stone for manual rotation with no mods to the oven.  It can also be used as the bearing for a motorized stone with a hole in the floor for a spindle, per the descriptions earlier in this thread.  You will get the degreased, dezinced, graphite lubricated 6" roller bearing, plus enough extra graphite re-lube if you need to.  I haven't after several dozen sessions...

When do you need to be notified by if we want in?

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2022, 04:17:05 PM »
I'd take one just in case I bought that oven.

Offline donstavely

• Peace and Pizza
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2022, 12:45:04 PM »
Hey Koda owners! I have some lazy susan bearings available now.  If you would like one, you can can PM me and I will give you my PayPal account.

Left is the galvanized bearing as bought.  The right bearing has the grease removed with mineral spirits, and the zinc removed with a couple of day's soak in distilled white vinegar.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 12:49:39 PM by donstavely »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2022, 02:34:16 PM »
Left is the galvanized bearing as bought.  The right bearing has the grease removed with mineral spirits, and the zinc removed with a couple of day's soak in distilled white vinegar.

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but I'd appreciate your take on my current setup. I am using this turntable in my Carbon:

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B00004YOKA/?tag=pmak-20

It was exposed to full oven heat (900F+) for at least 10 hours before first use and has been used for baking at full heat at least a hundred hours since then. The bearings still operate perfectly without having been lubricated. Is there any reason why this turntable needs dezincing or degreasing? I appreciate your help.

Bill/SFNM 

Offline donstavely

• Peace and Pizza
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2022, 04:25:14 PM »
Here is where I first mentioned removing the galvanization:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=58616.msg643594#msg643594

Since I am giving DIY instruction to others here on the forum, I felt that I needed to err on the side of caution by completely removing the zinc and grease.  I bet I would have gotten some flak about it if didn't address it.  I remember seeing other mention of zinc fumes from galvanized steel parts added to ovens in some other threads.

I suspect that you are safe, given all of the time at high temperature.  Had I not come across that video, I was just going to "cook" my bearing on my gas barbecue grill before putting it into my pizza oven.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2022, 04:27:45 PM »
Thanks, Don. I appreciate the help.

Offline SlideSF

« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2022, 02:30:11 PM »

Rats! I just saw this post today, after buying my lazy susan bearing and graphite from Ace, and ordering ma stone from Katom. Probably spent a few dollars more than buying from you  ::)

[/quote]

wordpress