A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Help me pick a new oven  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Help me pick a new oven
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2021, 07:34:01 PM »
Bill, just curious if you're ever tried the Roccbox, and how do you feel the Carbon Oven compares to Roccbox? Thanks!

No, Alex. The Carbon is the only small, propane oven I have ever used. Hit up the @thezaman. Larry has tried almost every oven. And Chau (@Jackie Tran) has worked with several also.

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2021, 11:41:27 AM »
Thanks Bill.
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2021, 11:13:52 PM »
I assumed because I was good in my Koda, I would need little to no time to adjust to the Roccbox.

1st pizza stuck to the stone, I tried my best to salvage it,  half the crust was pure black, the other half of the crust looked good. about 50% of the middle was stuck to the stone The pizza that came out was 90% crust with a huge hole in the middle.  There was a lot of nice flames on the stone and it was very black.  Pizza needed to be thrown away. an EXCELLENT 1st cook if I do say so myself.

2nd cook, I've never used a turning peel before today, I thought it would make the process easier, apparently, I need to learn how to use them. 15-20 seconds at full temp and the front of the pizzas still semi stuck to the stone and wasn't going to turn with the turning peel so  I jam the regular peel underneath it and turn it with that.  After doing that once, the turning peel seemed to work the way it was supposed to.  If I had waited until the dough was not sticking the 1st time to turn it with the turning peel, the crust would have been pure charcoal black.

3rd, 4th and 5th came out pretty decent, but not really how I expected.  Guess I need a few cooking nights to get acclimated to it. I know my Koda so my bakes come out how I envision them lol.

DOUGH RECIPE:

King Arthur 00 flour
60% water
3% salt
I think the Ooni app had me put 2.1g of IDY
It was supposed to be a 60 hour CF but I left the dough in the fridge an extra day.

I preheated the oven a long time, not sure but it was around an hour, if not longer. I couldn't find my temp gun, but the thermometer on the Roccbox read close to 950f. I've never used this flour, so I partially blame my failures tonight on it (why not?) I definitely need more practice though.  The Roccbox does not operate like my Koda. I'm sure after 2 more pizzas nights I'll be comfortable with it and absolutely love it.

Also, maybe it's I just haven't figured out how to use it yet, but so far I don't really like Gozney's rubber dough scraper at all. I really struggled to get the 1st ball out of my dough mate box.  I finally did but it had smooshed and turned into a weird oblong shape.  I tried it with the 2nd ball, but stopped after a few seconds of struggling and got the plastic Dough Mate scrape spatula. Next 4 came out far easier. The Gozney one MIGHT be awesome if I were used to it. But as it stands the $4 dough mate scraper kills this $15 Gozney one.  Also $15 for a small piece of rubber's pretty ridiculous imho. But, I did by it though so, lol.

I'm also wondering why I bought their $25 bench scraper, it looks really nice. But I already have a bench scraper, and I can't remember the last time I used it lol.

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2021, 06:50:06 AM »
Thanks for some honest feedback.  Most posts we read are about how great things went,  not the learning curve.  BTW,  IMO ,  a turning peel is not all that useful in smaller ovens, it is easier to just use the full sized peel and take the pizza out and give it a quarter or half spin, then put it back.   For me,  getting the right temp on the stone is pretty important, too hot, and like yours, it sticks, too cool and it comes out pale.  A lot depends on the characteristics of the stone, but also where the IR gun is aimed and from where - since the temp read out varies greatly depening on how far you are from the stone and exactly what is in the area that is in front of the sensor.   
Current Ovens  -  BS, Halo Versa 16
Mixers .   Electrolux ( ANK ) ,  Bosch Compact, IM-5S
Mills - Retsel, Lee .

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2021, 09:53:37 AM »
How I use the Roccbox after a few of years making pizza in it:

I preheat at full until the built in temp gauge reaches 420, then turn to low while building the pizza. After loading the pizza I turn back to high. After about 30 seconds I put the turning peel into the oven above the pizza to get it hot so that the dough will not stick. Then, lift the front edge of the pizza to be sure the dough is set. Turn 180 after the dough is set, turn as necessary after that. I no longer use the IR gun at all. Back to low while making the next one. I think that the Gozney Roccbox turning peel is the perfect size for the oven and use it for every bake. I bought a longer handle GI Metal turning peel that has only an inch more diameter and don't use it as it's too wide for my liking.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 09:56:45 AM by HansB »
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2021, 11:38:15 AM »
Thanks for some honest feedback.  Most posts we read are about how great things went,  not the learning curve.  BTW,  IMO ,  a turning peel is not all that useful in smaller ovens, it is easier to just use the full sized peel and take the pizza out and give it a quarter or half spin, then put it back.   For me,  getting the right temp on the stone is pretty important, too hot, and like yours, it sticks, too cool and it comes out pale.  A lot depends on the characteristics of the stone, but also where the IR gun is aimed and from where - since the temp read out varies greatly depening on how far you are from the stone and exactly what is in the area that is in front of the sensor.

I wanted my 1st pizzas to come out photo worthy, I've been using outdoor pizza ovens since March 2020, so I figured this would be a walk n the park. New equipment = new problems. Well at least for someone like me with not a ton of experience. Pretty sure HansB below me would nail any bake on any oven.  But he has a lot more time invested, and he is thought of like the Michael Jordan of Pizzamaking.com.  There's only 1 Jordan lol.

How I use the Roccbox after a few of years making pizza in it:

I preheat at full until the built in temp gauge reaches 420, then turn to low while building the pizza. After loading the pizza I turn back to high. After about 30 seconds I put the turning peel into the oven above the pizza to get it hot so that the dough will not stick. Then, lift the front edge of the pizza to be sure the dough is set. Turn 180 after the dough is set, turn as necessary after that. I no longer use the IR gun at all. Back to low while making the next one. I think that the Gozney Roccbox turning peel is the perfect size for the oven and use it for every bake. I bought a longer handle GI Metal turning peel that has only an inch more diameter and don't use it as it's too wide for my liking.

Last night when I was cleaning I realized I should have heated up the turning peel in the flame. I know around here you're considered the Michael Jordan of making pizzas so I shall listen to what you say. Doubly so because you also have a Roccbox. I definitely think a big part of my problem is I'm used to the 13.25" stone on the Koda.  I know the Rocboxx's is a hair over 12. That inch more's a ton of room for me when there's very little extra space when you're trying to make 11-12" pizzas.  Next pizzas I'm going to attempt my 1st Canotto with Biga, if I had problem with 60% dough sticking I'm gonna see how I manage with 70%. Or maybe I should stick to the basics for a few more cooks before I try anything else lol.

Now if my 2nd cook is a failure I should feel some shame.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 11:44:31 AM by Quebert »

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2021, 02:40:12 PM »
I got a flame shield coming today, now *if* I burn a crust badly again I'll only have myself to blame. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 02:42:12 PM by Quebert »

Offline adamcain112

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2021, 10:20:13 AM »
Have you looked at the Carbon pizza oven it has a bottom burner

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2021, 02:54:21 PM »
Have you looked at the Carbon pizza oven it has a bottom burner

I did look at it, I ended up going with the Roccbox because I got 6 months 0% interest to pay it off.  The Carbon looks nice, I suspect at some point in 2022 I'll end up buying one.

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2021, 03:34:56 AM »
Made 7 pizzas last night, the flame Guard definitely helped me not burn the crust. But it also made the cook times longer to get spots on the crust, and I kept forgetting the check the bottom so 3 were pretty black down there. And I'm still absolutely terrible using the turning peel. Put it in the flame for 5 seconds so it's not cold, and turn the pizza 25 seconds after launching?  Nope, I waited for 35 on the next pizza, still nope.  I sort of got it to turn one, but the crust bunched up (I still ate it) So I gave up after that and just went back to using the normal peel and pulling the pizza all the way out and turning it with my fingers.  After the initial turn with the regular peel the turning one seems to work okay. But that's not how you're supposed to do it lol.

The flame guard makes it take longer to get leopard spotting, so I had to do the last 30'ish seconds of the cook with the regular peel propping it up so the bottom doesn't scorch.  Something else I learned from doing this, the peel in the oven for 30 seconds makes it HOT. So if you're going to go straight to prepping and launching the next pizza, the peel will be too hot and the pizza will stick.  But somehow I got that pizza to still launch and it came out alright.   I really miss the tiny bit of extra space my Ooni Koda had, it might only be a little over an inch, but it's pretty noticeable to a novice like me. I know I'll adjust, but right now the Roccbox feels uber small to me.

Need to try a Poolish dough next because my crust was super dense, I wanted light and airy and it was the exact opposite.

1227g AP flour
60% water
3% salt
2.8g IDY
60 hour CF.

I was very careful when I opened the balls, I thought that would push the air into the crust and make it poofy and cronchy. They did puff up some, but were so dense, no air bubbles and there was no cronch at all. I'll try 58% hydration next time, and if that doesn't work I suppose it's Poolish time.  I tried a pizza with flame all the way up, and one with it all the way down and cooked it about 40 seconds longer, same crust :(

wordpress