A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Help me avoid buyers remorse.  (Read 729 times)

Offline GumbaWill

• My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
Help me avoid buyers remorse.
« on: October 28, 2021, 07:23:37 PM »
Hello, pizza aficionados.
 I did some quick research to help me decide what grandma pizza pan to buy. Here is what I came up with.

Winco 16X16 coated & Lloyds 16X12 coated, both of these I rejected out of hand. While I am not a health nut, and I put all kinds of poison into my body, I can't help but think the high temperatures of pizza bakes are just too much for silicone coatings.

American Metalcraft SQ1610-16” x 16” Square Pizza Pan - While I am not crazy about the shiny finish, one of these I am thinking will be added to the tool kit.

Last but not least, The imported PADERNO - Baking Sheet Rectangular Cm 50 Blue Steel
I hate that the shipping is more than the pan itself, however, I need this blued steel pan!

Any feedback on the actual use of these pans or just gut feelings is appreciated.
I also did some research on grandma's skin formulas. This is the customized formulation I came up with. Any thoughts/tweaks on this are also appreciated. Thanks for reading. I am shooting for Sunday, to bring Joey his requested Grandma pie. The bake will be in a 1/2 sheet pan I already have on hand.

Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline nickyr

Re: Help me avoid buyers remorse.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 09:40:20 PM »
I have a lloyds 14x14 and like it a lot. PTSK is not silicone, it is made for the high heat. You don’t bake grandma pizzas at particularly high heat anyway—the PTSK is rated for like minimum 700 degrees I think and you’ll probably bake at 400-550.

Your formulation looks good. I like adding 5% semolina for extra crispness.

Offline nickyr

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 09:45:36 PM »
I would highly recommend getting a pan that you can get a lid for, because plastic wrapping while proofing is a pain

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 09:48:46 PM »
PTSK is good until someone discovers it ain't.

Blue steel would be my choice.

Offline nickyr

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 09:51:16 PM »
PTSK is good until someone discovers it ain't.

To be fair, that’s true about literally everything

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 09:59:41 PM »
To be fair, that’s true about literally everything
agree

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Help me avoid buyers remorse.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 10:28:37 PM »
I have pans from three manufacturers.  The bakes are all similar.  The Wilton’s coating will not withstand a pizza wheel.  Both of my Lloyds pans have been with me for about a decade of light use and they’re as good as the day I bought them.  My Paderno and Ottinetti blue steel pans are indestructible, but corners of the Paderno’s are loose so the pan sort of warps.  It hasn’t affected the bake.  The Ottinetti’s are excellent.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 11:42:31 PM »
I have never bought a pan from American Metalcraft, but I have bought other pizza tools from them, which I have been totally satisfied with. I would have problem giving their pizza pan a go.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 04:05:15 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I pulled the trigger on the American Metal Craft 16X16 and the Paderno Cm50. I took a walk to the Bowery restaurant supply stores yesterday, which is always fun for me. Bari pizza supply had the Wilton 16X16 on the shelf. I have to say it is a nice heavy-weight pan. When I pulled the first one off the top, the next pan down was already scratched. I didn't even bother to ask the price. I asked the salesperson for an uncoated Sicilian-style pan he knew exactly what I was looking for. He told me they can't get them since Allied closed. I forgot Sunday is Holloween, I'll call my sister later and see if she still wants me to bring over the pizza for her grandson. No matter, I will still mix up a couple of grandma dough balls for a 48hr. cold ferment.  Meanwhile, Bright and early this morning I will finally hit Sansone to stock up. Thanks again.
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline Surfandpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2022, 11:53:24 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I pulled the trigger on the American Metal Craft 16X16 and the Paderno Cm50. I took a walk to the Bowery restaurant supply stores yesterday, which is always fun for me. Bari pizza supply had the Wilton 16X16 on the shelf. I have to say it is a nice heavy-weight pan. When I pulled the first one off the top, the next pan down was already scratched. I didn't even bother to ask the price. I asked the salesperson for an uncoated Sicilian-style pan he knew exactly what I was looking for. He told me they can't get them since Allied closed. I forgot Sunday is Holloween, I'll call my sister later and see if she still wants me to bring over the pizza for her grandson. No matter, I will still mix up a couple of grandma dough balls for a 48hr. cold ferment.  Meanwhile, Bright and early this morning I will finally hit Sansone to stock up. Thanks again.

How have you liked these pans? 

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2022, 01:01:14 PM »
How have you liked these pans?

They look great! I have not had the time to do a Sicilian pie bake. That being said I am happy and sure after seasoning, they will work like a charm!
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese