A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Freezing Fresh Yeast  (Read 241 times)

Offline mmille24

• I Love Pizza!
Freezing Fresh Yeast
« on: November 11, 2021, 01:12:03 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with this?

I've tried vacuum sealing and freezing it. However, when defrost in fridge and open it up, it's complete mush.

Anyone know why this is? It doesn't seem to have the same amount of spring after it's been frozen. Is there a better way to do this?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Freezing Fresh Yeast
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 02:37:02 PM »
mmille24,

The late Tom Lehmann told us why we shouldn't freeze fresh yeast, at Reply 4 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14709.msg146826;topicseen#msg146826

Fresh yeast contains water and that no doubt can lead to problems when it expands due to the water freezing. I imagine that the frozen fresh yeast can be quite mushy after defrosting.

Peter

Offline mmille24

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Freezing Fresh Yeast
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 04:38:05 PM »
mmille24,

The late Tom Lehmann told us why we shouldn't freeze fresh yeast, at Reply 4 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14709.msg146826;topicseen#msg146826

Fresh yeast contains water and that no doubt can lead to problems when it expands due to the water freezing. I imagine that the frozen fresh yeast can be quite mushy after defrosting.

Peter

That's interesting, and I guess makes sense.

I had purchased fresh yeast from New York Bakers in San Diego. The owner told me had a scientist friend take some yeast and freeze it. It didn't kill it, but more just put it to sleep.

So I tried doing that. Vacuum sealing frozen yeast, but it would just thaw into mush, and not have the same spring. I was hoping someone else had a better process.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T