A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Today's Buys at Eataly  (Read 410 times)

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Today's Buys at Eataly
« on: December 12, 2021, 12:10:59 AM »
 I made it to Chicago today for the first time in two years. I usually go once or twice every year, but I didn't go last year, for obvious reasons. I didn't know what to expect in the way of COVID restrictions, but being expected to wear a mask everywhere indoors was the only thing I experienced, and I wasn't too surprised by that. Anyway, I went to Eataly for the second time in as many visits. The prices on everything were about as high or maybe a little higher than expected the first time; today I found them to be frankly outrageous. Thus, I didn't buy a whole lot of stuff. Also, I was really disappointed by the changes in the layout of the store. There used to be a bakery counter where you could just walk up and order focaccia style pizza slices that looked really good (I wish I had done so the first time, but I didn't), but now there is no such section, and you have to sit down to be waited on. I didn't have the time or the interest to find out just how expensive they were in their restaurant today. I just grabbed a few things and ran.
 I got a bag of organic type 2 Italian flour, which I'm going to have to do a little thinking on how best to use in pizza dough, or just use it for bread dough. I also got a potted basil plant, which is highly aromatic and I'm confident it will make better margherita pizzas than the last basil plant I had, which was pretty flat. And I got a can of Mutti red datterini tomatoes and a small jar of truffle butter, which I will probably give to my sister and brother-in-law for Christmas. Overall, I think I'll probably be happy with these purchases, but I don't know if I'll go back to Eataly any time soon, with their prices being as high as they are.

If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: Today's Buys at Eataly
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 12:47:32 AM »
I can deal with high prices or crowds, but not both at the same time
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 09:55:31 AM »
I can deal with high prices or crowds, but not both at the same time
If I go into a place with a certain budget and particular items in mind (which is usually the case in a place I'm familiar with), and I'm aware that prices might be a bit high and I can only get a few things, I don't feel like I have much grounds to be disappointed. But if I'm going into a store where I haven't been for quite a while, and I want to just grab a few things I can afford, and I find that prices have gone up across the board by a good 25% to 40%, that's a bit frustrating. I know about supply chain issues and shortages and all, but no matter what, $13.50 for 8 oz. of buffalo mozz or $35 for a small cutting board, or $32.90 for a one not very large loaf of panettone (not  joking), is a bit much. It was already a bit pricey there before, but now with the even higher prices and the changes in layout, it just feels like a total cash grab.
 And yeah, the crowds don't help, although I have seen worse, pre-pandemic. I used to think I wanted to live in Chicago when I visited as a man in my late teens and early twenties, but it didn't take long to realize that I would go out of my mind living in a city that crowded and noisy.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 02:49:33 PM »
I was there at downtown store in dec. ate lunch and had gelato.  i found it bit pricey. i would buy couple of specific things if i cant get anywhere else. My daughter go there all the time, i guess youngsters don't mind paying if they like it. 
People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centered, love them anyway. If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives, do good anyway. Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable, Be honest and frank anyway. If you are successful , you will win false friends and true enemies, succeed anyway.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress