A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Difference in IDY brands?  (Read 427 times)

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Difference in IDY brands?
« on: December 18, 2021, 07:20:09 PM »
I'm getting ready to buy some IDY and was curious if there is any real difference in brands: Fleishmann's, SAF, Anthony's, etc.
Anybody do a comparison or prefer one over the others for some reason ? ? ?

TIA

Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: Difference in IDY brands?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 08:10:13 PM »
Some have Ascorbic Acid, all bulk packs seem to have the sorbitan monostearate whereas the small packages don't. Pretty much similar to me except I avoid additives if I can. I mostly use sourdough so what do I know?

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 09:01:46 PM »
I'm getting ready to buy some IDY and was curious if there is any real difference in brands: Fleishmann's, SAF, Anthony's, etc.
Anybody do a comparison or prefer one over the others for some reason ? ? ?

TIA

I don't know but SAF seems to be the industry standard.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline politon

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 11:51:24 PM »
I prefer SAF. Red for it's predictability, and Gold when osmophilic yeast is needed.

Offline mtomasco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 09:05:30 AM »
Years ago comparing ADY I found Fleischmanns had off-flavors in enriched breads and SAF/Red Star did not. No idea if they still use the same yeast strain as back then for IDY, or if it would matter for pizza. I use Red Star ADY for pizza, but treat it like IDY and mix it in with dry ingredients.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 09:59:54 AM »
Thanks for the replies.
I have been using SAF/Red, so I guess I will stick with that.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline loch

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 12:29:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
I have been using SAF/Red, so I guess I will stick with that.

I saw this thread and know that you've made a good choice, but just wanted to add a word of caution about Bellarise yeast that Sam's Club had been carrying.

I get free shipping from Sam's so I thought I'd try it for under $5 for two pounds. It was a disappointment. Just a note, the yeast is listed with a 2 year shelf life and mine was still in date, although it came one year past production date.

First tried it with pizza dough that I've made for the last 20 years and the rise over a three day cold ferment was much less than Red Star or Fleishmann's. Once it hit the oven stone it was a little harder to tell, so I tried it side by side with both pan loaf and hearth style breads.

I mixed single loaves side by side. The lack of rise in the Bellarise hearth loaf could have been blamed on poor shaping but certainly lacked the spring of Red Star. Pan loaves proved the point. I would not recommend the Bellarise.

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2021, 12:46:21 PM »
I saw this thread and know that you've made a good choice, but just wanted to add a word of caution about Bellarise yeast that Sam's Club had been carrying.

I get free shipping from Sam's so I thought I'd try it for under $5 for two pounds. It was a disappointment. Just a note, the yeast is listed with a 2 year shelf life and mine was still in date, although it came one year past production date.

First tried it with pizza dough that I've made for the last 20 years and the rise over a three day cold ferment was much less than Red Star or Fleishmann's. Once it hit the oven stone it was a little harder to tell, so I tried it side by side with both pan loaf and hearth style breads.

I mixed single loaves side by side. The lack of rise in the Bellarise hearth loaf could have been blamed on poor shaping but certainly lacked the spring of Red Star. Pan loaves proved the point. I would not recommend the Bellarise.

Dave

Thanks for the info...
The SAF/Red I have been using is always kept in the freezer.  Works fine up to a year at least, which is about the time I run out.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2021, 01:54:37 AM »
From what I read + experienced, there's pretty much no difference as long as they all are saccharomyce cerevisiae.
My understanding about the different strains manufacturers would use is about resistance to hostile environments (osmotic pressure, cold temperatures...), but as it's mentioned above, they already add additives (ascorbic acid, glutathion...). It also seems to me that there's more difference between a CY and an IDY than between 2 IDY from different brands...

I used different local (Chinese) brands here as well as Lesaffre; CY and IDY; and all my dough rose very well. Considering the tiny amounts and the usual high RT here, I can not say if some brands are more "powerful" than others though.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

wordpress