A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The Machines Have Risen in My Town...  (Read 497 times)

Offline NumbWhistle

• Lifetime Member
The Machines Have Risen in My Town...
« on: January 12, 2022, 09:55:04 AM »
https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/2022/01/247-pizza-from-a-vending-machine-see-it-in-action-in-ann-arbor.html

I can't say the pizzas look very good, but I will be interested to see how well this fares. They positioned the machine in prime student bar territory, so I am guessing it will do well - particularly after 2:00am.

- Steve
- Steve

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: The Machines Have Risen in My Town...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 11:14:25 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they break down more than they work.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 11:23:11 AM »
Interesting idea but it looks like frozen pizza quality.

Texted the link to a friend in Ann Arbor. He said the location is right near Joe's and a really good hand pulled noodle place. I think he's curious, but not curious enough.

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 12:08:24 PM »
Never knew this was a "Canadian concept." They've actually had them up here in Northern Ontario for a few years now (over 2 years for sure). My only experience is I drove by one when shopping out of town one day, won't see me getting pizza from a vending machine. Did hear rumours there's one going to be installed at a gas station in my little town.

Haven't heard any feedback, I wonder how the whole process and functionability works out with our  extreme temperature changes, yesterday I woke up to -31 (without windchill) and today is -2, I've seen our temp go from -30's to 5-10 above overnight, you should here my house crack at night when this happens (all houses with a basement). Mechanical things generally don't like extreme changes like that, I would think there would be problems.
I SMILE AND WAVE....
Inhale pizza, exhale negativity.

Offline NumbWhistle

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 01:35:00 PM »
Once the novelty wears off, I would guess over 70% of the business will be done when the campus bars are closing and other food options are sparse.

I would also agree that weather will likely play a significant role in the viability of the machine.
- Steve

Offline ira

• Supporting Member
  • I cook Pizza! Currently using a Gozney Dome
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 06:41:56 PM »
Given they are just reheating frozen pizzas, they can probably do it like a toaster with coil or similar heating elements that heat up in a few seconds.

Ira

wordpress