A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Newbie's Second Go Round with Kori's Recipe  (Read 398 times)

Offline KevinG

• Eating Pizza Right Now!
    • St. Petersburg Foodies
Newbie's Second Go Round with Kori's Recipe
« on: January 19, 2022, 08:41:02 AM »
Thanks to Kori for the detailed recipe in my last post on my first pizza attempt. The result was much better on this one.

I switched from 00 and semolina to bread dough only, along with ADY, water, salt, sugar, EVOO. I did a 72 hour cold ferment and let the balls come to temp for two hours, and preheated the pizza stone at 550 for an hour. I cooked at that temp for 8 minutes on the first one and 7 minutes on the second one. I was quite pleased with the results, especially the first pizza. I would definitely do this recipe again. A big difference this time is that I did the stretching and forming into the round pizza shape with the backs of my hands, holding it up in the air, mostly using my thumbs, and my knuckles a little bit. (Last time I kept it flat on the counter, pushing it out and turning it.) The turning in the air with thumbs works much better.

Here's the odd thing that I don't understand. In the initial stages, I made one big ball, and then cut it in half and put the two balls into separate containers coated with olive oil, and the dough balls coated too. One rose more than the other. The one that rose more had a significant audible amount of air released when I "punched" it down. The other did not. The first one (more risen with audible air) stretched easily. The second one stretched unevenly, getting too thin, and then holes in parts. I kneaded it, reformed the ball and let it rest, then re-stretched it. I likely didn't let it rest enough. (The Sunday Bucs game was on, and I was impatient.) It was still resisting the stretching, but I eventually got it somewhat there, baked it, and it was still good.

I don't understand why one big ball of dough cut into two acted like they came from two totally different mothers. They were in plastic bowls with lids on the third shelf down, pushed to the back. Refrigerator temp is 38F.

Copy / Paste of Kori's post.
-----------------------------------
Here's a good basic dough recipe to try:

278g            bread flour 100%
172g            water 62% (around 65F)
1.14g           IDY 0.4%  (1/3 tsp)
          or
1.5g             ADY 0.53% (0.4 of a tsp, just under half)
4.8g             salt 1.75% (0.8 of a tsp, just over 3/4)
5.5g             oil 2% (1 1/4 tsp)
5.5g             sugar 2% (1.4 tsp)

Not sure if you have 2 scales, one that measures in 0.00 grams so I've given approximate measurments in tsp, if you don't have one you'll need one in the future, for now this will work.
This will make 2 10" pizza's.

If your using ADY bring about 30g of the water to 85-90f and dissolve yeast in it, stir quickly for about 30sec. If IDY it can added to the 65F water or added to the flour. Many different ways to mix the ingredients and opinions on how to do so, I haven't hand kneaded in a long time but I would whisk flour and sugar (could add IDY at this point) then add all of the water (if using ADY also all of the water) and mix til everything comes together and forms a shaggy ball, cover with platic wrap/tea towel and let rest 30min, this will allow the flour to absorb the water and cut down on your hand kneading time. After the rest add the salt & oil and start mixing & kneading, probably take 10min, until dough starts becoming smooth ball. Divide into 2 balls, put in container(s) of some sort, oil the bottoms of the containers (very little oil) and brush the tops of the balls with oil so they dont dry out and put into the fridge for 48hrs, take out of the fridge 1.5-2hrs before opening into pies.

Bake somewhere between 525-550F, not sure the thickness of your stone but 1hr to heat up the stone to temp is pretty standard. Your bake time should be around 8min, maybe more maybe less you'll have to monitor that part. Also common to have to incorporate the broiler towards the end of the bake (last 1-2min) to brown the top.

This is a pretty fool proof recipe, let me know if you have any questions, otherwise good luck if you decide to try it out.
-----------------------------------
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 08:47:47 AM by KevinG »

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Newbie's Second Go Round with Kori's Recipe
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 10:54:35 AM »
Kevin,

I would just chalk it up to the vagaries of baking.  At first I was thinking the difference in fermentation was caused by uneven distribution of the yeast, but that shouldn't be an issue when it's first dissolved in water.  I've also had this happen before.  I usually make two same weight dough balls that I store side-by-side in a single tupperware container.  One time one of the dough balls had a marked increase in volume compared to the other, even though they began as identical twins.  Go figure.

At any rate, your pizza still looks great and you look the part of a serious pizzaiolo :).

Rolls
Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in a green box!   - Chef Jean-Pierre

Offline KevinG

• St. Petersburg Foodies
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 10:57:51 AM »
Kevin,

I would just chalk it up to the vagaries of baking.  At first I was thinking the difference in fermentation was caused by uneven distribution of the yeast, but that shouldn't be an issue when it's first dissolved in water.  I've also had this happen before.  I usually make two same weight dough balls that I store side-by-side in a single tupperware container.  One time one of the dough balls had a marked increase in volume compared to the other, even though they began as identical twins.  Go figure.

At any rate, your pizza still looks great and you look the part of a serious pizzaiolo :).

Rolls

Thanks Rolls!

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 12:43:15 PM »
Hey Kevin I think those pies look pretty awesome, very nice bake, throw those pics up on here:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.0

glad the recipe worked out for you.

I've never experienced a difference in rise between 2 different dough balls like you explained, that being said I pretty much always make 1 ball only for an 18" pizza. I'm gonna say let's go with what Rolls posted, just one of those things.

You do look the part of a serious pizzaiolo! Keep at it.
I SMILE AND WAVE....

Offline KevinG

• St. Petersburg Foodies
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 01:04:25 PM »
Hey Kevin I think those pies look pretty awesome, very nice bake, throw those pics up on here:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.0

glad the recipe worked out for you.

I've never experienced a difference in rise between 2 different dough balls like you explained, that being said I pretty much always make 1 ball only for an 18" pizza. I'm gonna say let's go with what Rolls posted, just one of those things.

You do look the part of a serious pizzaiolo! Keep at it.

Thanks Kori!

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 06:32:29 PM »
Could be that your dough container was in a part of the fridge where one side was much colder than the other side. Experiment by turning the container once or twice a day, maybe put it on a different shelf as well.

wordpress