A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mozzarella for Deep Dish  (Read 505 times)

Offline GPalmer

• I Love Pizza!
Mozzarella for Deep Dish
« on: January 14, 2022, 05:05:37 PM »
I've been using Boars Head Whole Milk Mozzarella for my deep dish pizzas. The price tag is much higher than I like and the stretch doesn't strike me as great though. So I'd like to switch to something cheaper. I am looking for a block cheese that I can slice. I have a RD near me which has blocks of Saputo, Supremo Italiano, and Galbani Professionale. I am leaning in the direction of a 6 pound block of Galbani Professionale. I'd like to get feedback from members with experience using these cheeses to make deep dish. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 05:08:50 PM by GPalmer »

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
Re: Mozzarella for Deep Dish
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 11:35:01 PM »
They're all very good and a little better than anything in the supermarket.

I would go with saputo
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline sarahm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 06:11:00 PM »
RD here carries Saputo, Supremo Italiano, Galbani Professionale, Polly-O, and Stella, and I'm not a fan of any of them for Deep Dish or  Stuffed.  (Not a fan of Boar's Head, either.) They used to carry Saputo Gold, which was excellent but was up there with Boar's Head in terms of price. Haven't seen it since at least a 2019, though.  >:(

My go-to for deep dish, stuffed, Burt's/Pequod (and Detroit) is Walmart Great Value WMLM: it hits my flavor, color, mouth feel, and stretch targets, and is cheaper than ay of the RD options ($1.43/Lb locally), not to mention the closest Wally World is < 1 mi from my apt, vs. a 30 min drive (non-rush hour, one way) to RD, so it's much more convenient (and greener). And it comes vac packed in 1 Lb blocks, which saves having to cut up, wrap, and freeze a 5-6 Lb brick.

Offline GPalmer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 01:23:53 AM »
My go-to for deep dish, stuffed, Burt's/Pequod (and Detroit) is Walmart Great Value WMLM: it hits my flavor, color, mouth feel, and stretch targets, and is cheaper than ay of the RD options ($1.43/Lb locally), not to mention the closest Wally World is < 1 mi from my apt, vs. a 30 min drive (non-rush hour, one way) to RD, so it's much more convenient (and greener). And it comes vac packed in 1 Lb blocks, which saves having to cut up, wrap, and freeze a 5-6 Lb brick.
I took a look at the Walmart cheese. Apparently, according to some responses here, they sell multiple versions under that label. Unfortunately, my local Walmarts carry the "blows hard" version rather than the "great cheese at an excellent price point" version. Sounds like you hit the lottery!

In the meantime though, I'm amusing myself by making a couple deep dish with a mozzarella/havarti mix this weekend. Don't know how that's going to turn out but danged if that type of experimentation isn't why I make pizza at home! Also, the fact that there's no palatable Chicago deep dish in my area plays a key role.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 01:30:02 AM by GPalmer »

Offline sarahm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 07:04:22 PM »
In the meantime though, I'm amusing myself by making a couple deep dish with a mozzarella/havarti mix this weekend.

HERETIC!  >:( >:( >:( LOL.

Seriously, mozz + havarti = :drool: in my book. Meunster is right up there as a mixer, too.

Offline GPalmer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 11:10:22 PM »
HERETIC!  >:( >:( >:( LOL.

Seriously, mozz + havarti = :drool: in my book. Meunster is right up there as a mixer, too.
One of the great things about making our own is there are fewer limits to what we can try. I hadn't thought of Meunster, that sounds like a good experiment!  ;D

wordpress