A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: High Gluten vs Bread Flour  (Read 753 times)

Offline Rainier42

High Gluten vs Bread Flour
« on: January 17, 2022, 05:36:13 PM »
With the cold weather and back to experimenting.  Up to now, my go-to flour was KA High Gluten flour.  Am now experimenting with KA Bread Flour and may try some other brands.  What do you all use - i.e., High Gluten or Bread Flour, and why?
Simone family eating chant:  Mangia mangia mangia, can mangia no more then mangia some more!

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: High Gluten vs Bread Flour
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 05:41:00 PM »
I prefer high gluten but can use KA organic bread flour and just decrease fermentation time. Central milling is my best choice but I am always trying new flour to make it more difficult on myself. :-D. Always organic for me.

Offline Rainier42

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 07:49:16 PM »
I prefer high gluten but can use KA organic bread flour and just decrease fermentation time. Central milling is my best choice but I am always trying new flour to make it more difficult on myself. :-D. Always organic for me.

I haven't tried Central Milling flours but am willing to give them a go.  Which ones do you prefer?  Also, it looks like they are pre-malted ... I assume this eliminates the need to add sugar or low diastatic malt.
Simone family eating chant:  Mangia mangia mangia, can mangia no more then mangia some more!

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 08:20:48 PM »
Organic High Mountain or the 00 reinforced are the two I mostly use from them. You can also get the AP at some Costco locations.

I don't believe they have malt in them. The regular BF has malt.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 03:09:09 AM »
Kyrol HG is awesome, near bullet proof! It is bromated, may be an issue for some, but not me, great flour!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline Turk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 02:32:01 PM »
I've been using King Arthur Bread Flour (KABF) for a while for recipes from Peter Reinhart's "American Pie". 

This is my first time trying the Master Class from Tony Gemignani's "Pizza Bible": it calls for high-gluten flour, then fermenting for total of 48 hours (24 hours bulk, degass & divide, then put in fridge another 24 hours).

I'm going to be using the KABF for the Master Classes. 

Any issue with using the lower-protein KABF, any suggested adjustments (shorter fermentation, etc.?). 

Thanks, Turk.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 04:11:00 PM »
Organic High Mountain or the 00 reinforced are the two I mostly use from them. You can also get the AP at some Costco locations.

I don't believe they have malt in them. The regular BF has malt.
To correct myself the AP Central Milling at Costco is malted.

Offline politon

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 04:59:27 PM »
I've been using King Arthur Bread Flour (KABF) for a while for recipes from Peter Reinhart's "American Pie". 

This is my first time trying the Master Class from Paul Gemignani's "Pizza Bible": it calls for high-gluten flour, then fermenting for total of 48 hours (24 hours bulk, degass & divide, then put in fridge another 24 hours).

Any issue with using the lower-protein KABF, any suggested adjustments (shorter fermentation, etc.?). 

Thanks, Turk.

With KABF, I would recommend doing a series of stretch and folds immediately after dividing. 2 or 3, 45 minutes apart. This will develop the gluten network and give it strength similar to HG flour.

Offline Turk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 05:18:09 PM »
With KABF, I would recommend doing a series of stretch and folds immediately after dividing. 2 or 3, 45 minutes apart. This will develop the gluten network and give it strength similar to HG flour.

Thanks Politon: I'll give that a try.

Offline Turk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 05:42:36 PM »
Thanks Politon: I'll give that a try.
So my first attempt with the Master Class from Tony Gemignani's "Pizza Bible" was a great learning experience, dough was light with a bit of crispiness on the bottom, first time I EVER had a nice chewy edge.  SO DELICIOUS that my wife ate ALL THE CRUST (and she would never eat the edges, aka "pizza bones" for any of the pizzas I made from Reinhart's "American Pie").

So the only bad news was that I was denied the pizza bones this time  :chef:

Only issue was that the dough was VERY STICKY getting it out of the bowl and onto the countertop for rolling out.  Was able to manage fine with a rubber scraper and plenty of flour/cornmeal, but is a sticky dough normal?

Thanks, Turk.

Offline politon

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 06:41:20 PM »
So my first attempt with the Master Class from Tony Gemignani's "Pizza Bible" was a great learning experience, dough was light with a bit of crispiness on the bottom, first time I EVER had a nice chewy edge.  SO DELICIOUS that my wife ate ALL THE CRUST (and she would never eat the edges, aka "pizza bones" for any of the pizzas I made from Reinhart's "American Pie").

So the only bad news was that I was denied the pizza bones this time  :chef:

Only issue was that the dough was VERY STICKY getting it out of the bowl and onto the countertop for rolling out.  Was able to manage fine with a rubber scraper and plenty of flour/cornmeal, but is a sticky dough normal?

Thanks, Turk.

Booyah !! Congrats, Turk!

As I recall, Tony's formula is ~65% which is right on the cusp of when KABF can begin to feel sticky. It takes practice. You could always lower it to ~61% and that would probably solve it until you get used to the higher hydration.

I recommend using rice flour, or mochiko flour (sweet rice flour) as bench flour. It will take a lot less to get rid of the sticky feeling than standard wheat flour.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2022, 10:55:05 AM »

This is my first time trying the Master Class from Tony Gemignani's "Pizza Bible": it calls for high-gluten flour, then fermenting for total of 48 hours (24 hours bulk, degass & divide, then put in fridge another 24 hours).

Thanks, Turk.

I'm not familiar with either of these recipes, what are the differences between them?

Offline Turk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2022, 11:54:04 AM »
I'm not familiar with either of these recipes, what are the differences between them?

Tony is precise, Peter is not.

Sorry I can't get into details now, but basically Peter Reinhart's recipes are basically "throw it all in and mix", whereas Tony's Pizza Bible gives a very detailed list of procedures and ingredients for making pizzas.

Variations include Tony uses Diastatic Malt, higher-gluten flour and finely-ground sea salt (plus 2-day ferment); Peter Reinhart uses bread flour, honey and coarser Kosher salt (and 1-day ferment). 

Using Tony's method definitely made a difference, for the first time I had a nice chewy edge instead of leather (or cracker-like) edge even with bread flour.

Last week I got some high-gluten flour (Giusto's High Performer High Protein), and it was pure heaven with a very light and chewy edge  in my 450 degree oven :chef:

wordpress