A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: High volume Detroit style dough help  (Read 546 times)

Offline Pizzabobs143

• I Love Pizza!
High volume Detroit style dough help
« on: March 06, 2022, 09:03:26 PM »
Hi guys opening up a shop with Detroit style pizza overseas! Itís kinda small so Iím concerned about having enough dough especially with massive fermentation times, 2nd proof ect.

Iíll be cooking them in a coal fired oven.

Wondering even what do high volume pizza places do doubt they have hundreds of pans, or enough dough for say 500 pizzas sitting in a freezer?

My thoughts:

1. Can I replace cold fermentation with a much shorter time period of room temperature? Or even faster cold fermentation times like 4 hours?

2. Is a 2nd proof in a pan needed? Can I just cook it directly in oven if I can stretch the dough properly?

3. Any methods of 2nd proofing dough outside of pan? Like typical round style pizzas? We used to press the dough out and pile them in a line and let them rise. Then transfer them into the pan at time of cooking? Obviously they wonít rise high like they do in a pan.

4. Par bake the dough and store in the fridge? Say 100-200 pieces at a time?

5. Can 2nd proof time be greatly diminished if I place pan in the oven for a few seconds? Then continue topping and cook?

6. Also what concerns can I have with a brick coal fired oven when cooking Detroit style?

Iíve worked in a few pizza places before different types of round pies and have ran into issue of running out of last days dough. Can see this issue highly happening with Detroit style.

Anyway help is greatly appreciated in speeding the process up where you arenít losing much dough quality in terms of flavor, and not tying up hundreds of pans.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 09:21:20 PM by Pizzabobs143 »

Offline oslair

• I Love Pizza!
Re: High volume Detroit style dough help
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 11:05:20 PM »
I have made several tests with my DSP.

My recipe uses 30% biga, fermented at room temperature for 12 hours.
You can do it even faster, like 6 hours, warming up the water.
I've tried raising the yeast ammount as well, but didn't like the results as much.

After incorporating the biga in the mix, 3 hours should be enough to rise the dough.
You can manipulate the time by using warm water again or putting the dough on a warm spot.

I've also had success with the dough raising in a plastic container and then moving it to the pan.
Just try to find a similar size container and be gentle. Let the gravity do the work.

I'm interested in all of your questions. Please let us know if you discovered anything.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress