A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pinsa style test run  (Read 349 times)

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
Pinsa style test run
« on: July 24, 2022, 09:32:05 PM »
Saw a fun video on YT about a rice tangzhong pinsa style and wanted to check it out.

After looking into tangzhong and adpting it to my workflow here's what I settled on and notes-

92% HG flour (power)
4% brown rice flour
4% whole splelt flour
80% water
2% salt
2% oil
.3% IDY

made a roux/porridge with rice/spelt and water. Used 5X the weight of the rice/splet from the total water. Cooked to 150ish, cooled.

mixed porridge with remaining water then used my normal method. Water in mixer, add flour and IDY, mix 2 min on speed 1. Let rest 30 min. Mix 1 min add salt, mix 2 min add oil, mix 2-3 minutes more. Rest 30 min S+F.

At this point I noramlly would ball and CF fro 3-5 days. It was pretty loose still so I bulked in the cooler for 3 days, balled at 280g and CF another day. It was still soft but handled like 75% dough not 80%.

baked at 650-700 in a deck oven for 2 min. Cooled and topped, back in for about 4 min.

Results-
Dough was soft and tricky to handle, after makning a few I got the hang of it. Baked up light and crispy. Not crunchy but thin shll with very creamy and tender crumb. Very nice. Ate well and retained cripsness for at least 20 minutes (finished it). Again very tender.

For me the flavor was a little flat. I'm used to 10% whole wheat mixed in with HG. On the low end for salt. The rice and splet seemed to add little flavor but texture and doguh handling effects were large.

What I'll try next-

increasing the rice to 5%, swich out splelt for rye at 5%. see if that boosts the flavor. if that fails on the flaove end, I'll add in WW at 10%.

after another run I'll work on the handling quality of the dough. at 80% it's pretty soft. Either different mixing process or adding a poolish step and reducing the CF time.

personal side note- I'm not fond of the tangzhong term, it's too hard to explain to people. I've settled on porridge to describe the process.

Heres' some pics

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
Re: Pinsa style test run
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 10:55:58 PM »
This is a DSP

80% power flour
10% brown rice flour
10% WW flour
80% h2o
.3% IDY
2% salt
2% oil

made roux with 10% of the power flour and water.

Straight dough method. 2 day CF bulk. 1 day balled. 

Pressed out, proof 4 hours. Parbaked, then topped and finished.

Dough handled and looked like 65% hydro.

Crumb was tighter than expected after final proof.

Flavor was killer. Tender crumb, light and crisp crust with pleasant moistness without being heavy. Worked very well to reheat for by the slice.

Interesting results and another option for different method.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress