A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Neapolitan Style / Re: SD starter vs. little yeast
« Last post by amolapizza on Today at 01:09:06 PM »
That baker's percentage calculator does nothing to suggest how much yeast to use.
Sorry, wrong link: http://www.mightypizzaoven.com/dough-recipe-creator/
General Pizza Making / Re: A question about cheese
« Last post by TXCraig1 on Today at 01:04:32 PM »
I think it mostly is a function of the particular cheese itself. Some brands tend to melt into the sauce and others look like puffy marshmallows after baking. I'd put these cheese in those pictures near the middle somewhere.
« Last post by TXCraig1 on Today at 12:53:39 PM »
Craig: what would make the preferment easier? Isnít it an extra step versus just letting one dough containing the starter ferment longer time? Would you say the ďdestinationĒ of using the preferment versus using one dough containing the starter are the same/ very similar flavor? Also, what do you think of the terms poolish and biga just literally being refreshed starter? Arenít these extra steps unnecessary if you just use one dough with start and let it ferment 24 hours?

The fact that it's a lot less sensitive to measurement and temperature error makes it a lot simpler that extended room temperature fermentation. If you're talking about refrigerated fermentation rather than room temp, then this isn't a factor as CF is largely designed to even more fully mitigate these types of difficulties/errors.

If you use your starter like a poolish or biga then yes, a refreshed starter is pretty much a poolish, biga, or other indirect method. If you only use a small quantity (not enough that the addition itself adds flavor to the dough), refreshed starter is more like a direct method and not at all like a poolish or biga.

The destination may be similar or very different. There a lot of variables including some you may not even notice.
General Pizza Making / Re: A question about cheese
« Last post by HBolte on Today at 12:41:47 PM »
What kind of mozzarella?
« Last post by Pizzaman143 on Today at 12:24:55 PM »
Craig: what would make the preferment easier? Isnít it an extra step versus just letting one dough containing the starter ferment longer time? Would you say the ďdestinationĒ of using the preferment versus using one dough containing the starter are the same/ very similar flavor? Also, what do you think of the terms poolish and biga just literally being refreshed starter? Arenít these extra steps unnecessary if you just use one dough with starter and let it ferment 24 hours?
New York Style / Re: Essen1's NY-style pizza project
« Last post by Essen1 on Today at 12:20:04 PM »
Mike, when I started competing in bbq contests i set out to learn about the spice palette and looked at the properties of 10 different paprikas, kosher vs sea vs table, etc. when it came to cane vs various brown sugars. I concluded there were no real health benefits to using raw sugar.

Ironically, hereís an article that supports this view from the source you cited:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/272191-sugar-vs-sugar-in-the-raw/

Iím any case, thatís a beautiful pie!

Interesting.

I think the folks over at Livestrong need to get together and compare notes before posting conflicting information.
« Last post by Pizzaman143 on Today at 12:17:13 PM »
Tom: At what point would you say the starter blooms into itís full maturity and has itís maximum/ full flavor profile? After how many days/ months/ years of first creating it?
General Pizza Making / Re: Minolta Rokkor's Pizza Crusade.
« Last post by Jackitup on Today at 12:14:36 PM »
After that, how do you make it into pizza?

Pretty much followed the workflow laid out on the dough generator  site for the apizza scholls.
« Last post by TXCraig1 on Today at 12:13:53 PM »
Scott/ Craig: keeping other all conditions equal, how would a poolish or biga, from a scientific perspective, be any different in flavor than just making one dough using Ischia starter at 3% and letting it ferment for 24 hours? If you put a small amount (2%?) of Ischia in a poolish or biga, let it ferment 24 hours, then incorporate the poolish or biga in the final dough, arenít the poolish and biga essentially a refreshed Ischia starter that has been fermented for 24 hours since you are just mixing the small amount of Ischia starter with only flour and water, same as you would when refreshing the Ischia starter/criscito/ mother dough? If they are differenf, how so, and how does the flavors compare of biga vs. poolish vs. putting Ischia sourdough directly in one final dough at 3%?

The byproducts of fermentation are in part a function of the things that affect the microbes (temperature, hydration, salt levels, available carbohydrates, etc.) One big example is that things that make life difficult for LAB (such as cooler temps and lower hydrations) cause them to produce more acetic acid relative to lactic acid (not more in total necessarily but rather more relative to the other).

One big reason for using a preferment as opposed to a long ferment is that using a preferment is a LOT easier and more foolproof way to get to a similar place.
General Pizza Making / Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Last post by jvp123 on Today at 12:11:31 PM »
thanks.

It's grande east coast blend and the pep is just a pouch of sugardale.   These both had "extra cheese"  ;D

Ahhh ok thanks -- thought they looked different to what I get here on the west coast. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20