A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Looking for Grandma/Sicilian pie recipes only using 00 flour  (Read 889 times)

Offline verdifan1980

• I Love Pizza!
Looking for Grandma/Sicilian pie recipes only using 00 flour
« on: December 30, 2023, 10:37:04 AM »
Does anyone have any recipes for making Sicilian or Grandma pies with JUST 00 flour? Most recipes I have found were only bread flour or adding some other type of flour with 00 flour? Happy new year. Happy Pizza making.

Offline Pizzailolz

• I laugh and sing making pizza, thus Pizza-i-lolz
Re: Looking for Grandma/Sicilian pie recipes only using 00 flour
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 10:55:06 AM »
Just use the 00 and do some good strength building stretch and folds before you ball and proof.
If all I had was pizza, wings and beer the rest of my life, I'd die a fat happy man. ~Chris :)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 11:13:55 AM »
You probably need to add some diastatic malt powder or you might have difficulty getting enough browning.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Pizzailolz

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 05:03:45 PM »
DMP is still new to me and not many have it sitting in the cupboard. I do now thanks to you guys here promoting it. Thank you for that, by the way, it gave me a new trick in my bag when using flour without malt. I really like using DMP and it really makes my bread great.

But everyone has sugar and it really helps with browning in the home oven. I use it at the same % as my salt.  ;)
If all I had was pizza, wings and beer the rest of my life, I'd die a fat happy man. ~Chris :)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 05:37:06 PM »
Chris,

Happy New Year. ;D

Can you tell us what the Lintner value is for your diastatic malt?

https://www.pizzamaking.com/glossary.html#linter

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 05:55:13 PM »
But everyone has sugar and it really helps with browning in the home oven. I use it at the same % as my salt.  ;)

Particularly with short fermentations. For longer fermentations, it gets largely consumed by the yeast. Baker's yeast will always consume sucrose first because it's so easy for them to metabolize the glucose.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Pizzailolz

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 09:00:17 PM »
Chris,

Happy New Year. ;D

Can you tell us what the Lintner value is for your diastatic malt?

https://www.pizzamaking.com/glossary.html#linter

Peter
Dammit Pete I'm a doctor, not Lintnist!  ::)
Lintner? Now you're just making up words, lol. Let me peruse your link and see what kind of new merry hell you shoehorn into my very limited brain spaghetti.

edit: The brand I have doesn't say. Maybe one of the dough rocket scientist here can tell me. And then tell me why it's important. And then tell me eat a d**k.  ;D https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WGUYX96/?tag=pmak-20
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 09:25:55 PM by Pizzailolz »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 10:30:43 PM »
Chris,

According to the Anthony’s website, at https://anthonysgoods.com/products/anthonys-old-fashioned-dry-malt-powder-diastatic, the product you have is not 100% diastatic malt. It also includes dextrose and wheat flour. Unfortunately, the degrees Lintner value is not given at the Anthony’s website. There is a Contact Us feature at the website, so you might try calling or emailing the company to get the degrees Lintner value.  Or maybe one of our members uses the product and knows the degrees Lintner value.

Peter

Offline spaceboy

• pizza pizza pizza
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 11:52:34 PM »
anthony's is not low, i believe it is 60.  i have decreased my dmp % pretty significantly due to this, .4-.6%

as far as the topic goes, ive only really done a mix of a bread flour and a 00 for DSP from time to time and they came out good
i dont see why using all 00 would be any kind of extreme failure and as always...mix, ferment, bake and find out!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 11:54:42 PM by spaceboy »

Offline Pizzailolz

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2024, 08:07:46 PM »
My regular pizza dough uses 2.5% to 3% sugar. I've landed on that recipe for my home oven and my pizza oven using a steel in both. My pizza oven gets hotter than my home oven, so I cut my sugar % in my dough when I'm doing NY style in my pizza oven. If I have a dough with 3% sugar and I want to use my pizza oven, I simply  maintain my steel at 600 to 625 and it works fine.

Now came the DMP experiments. Using my regular dough, I simply replaced the sugar with DMP. The first thing I noticed was the browning. It browns my pizza bottom very even brown, where the sugar gives me a spotted browned bottom.
The DMP adds a nice spring when it hits the heat. As far as flavor, about the same as the sugar.

After seeing how great and even the browning was, I started using DMP for my bread and rolls. Game changer. My crust looked perfect and the taste of the crust was more gooderer. ...er. I'll always use DMP for bread from now on. Pizza is still up in the air considering I have a dough I perfected and every time I make changes to my tried and true, it detracts from it.

Sicilian style seems to benefit from 1.5% each of sugar and DMP. But that has only been tested with one dough making a couple Sicilians.

wordpress