A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA  (Read 180145 times)

Offline NepaBill

Re: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA
« Reply #460 on: January 30, 2021, 03:08:16 PM »
Hi Mater..  Sizzle-pi is definitely not an old Old Forge dough..  I think the biggest difference in Old Forge crust is that most of the shells are prebaked ahead with very little or no oil..  The Sizzle-Pi style of dough is cooked from raw dough in a considerable amount of oil..  I keep forgetting about Sizzle-Pi.. They make a solid Pan Fried Sicilian at a reasonable price..  I have to get down there for some..

Offline matermark

« Reply #461 on: February 07, 2021, 01:24:30 AM »
Does anybody know the link to the final bakers percentages? Thanks.

Offline Joe_C

« Reply #462 on: March 04, 2021, 11:14:50 AM »
Lots of discussion over the years over where the name "Victory Pig" comes from.  It's been noted that the restaurant was started shortly after World War II and some have speculated that "Victory Pig" is related somehow to the War.  Well, here you go.  I found this photo for sale on eBay.  Apparently "Victory Pig" was the name given to pigs raised by youngsters which were sold and the resulting profits were used to buy war bonds???

Offline communist

« Reply #463 on: March 06, 2021, 05:13:28 PM »
Nice Joe-C!  I have been to Victory Pig twice over the past year and with the pandemic the curbside service works well. The pie is flavorful as ever.  I usually serve it up at my Christmas Party, cooked in my home oven.  They market a frozen version, and as most frozen pies, it isn't worth buying.

Offline communist

« Reply #464 on: March 13, 2021, 04:41:28 PM »
By the way, is there anyone out there who has tried the victory pig-knock  pizza at Cosmos on Oak in Scranton? I am in Florida, so I have not been, but their reviews look amazing.

Just tried Cosmos on Oak in Scranton last night.  Sort of good, similar to VP, but:  I like the crunch and greasy oil of VP crust, but Cosmos seemed to be percolating in oil, maybe too much.  Sauce was nondescript ( no onions, which I like ) and cheese topping was somewhat sparse.  I may try again.

Offline NepaBill

« Reply #465 on: March 13, 2021, 07:33:49 PM »
VP may have been the first in the Valley to do that style, but there are so many places doing it better these days..  That is my opinion obviously..  VP lost their chief cook and bottle washer Paul Pearson.  He was there about 50 years..He did everything..  I live and grew up in the area.

Offline TheJoshHarding

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #466 on: April 11, 2021, 05:52:49 PM »
Can someone help me scale the yeast for a batch of 4 dough balls? The recipe is taxing the heck out of my kitchen aid. I have a spiral mixer that will breeze through it, but I know quadrupling the yeast in conjunction with everything else wouldn’t be the best decision

Forgot to add too—I’m from northeast Pennsylvania, and this recipe is spot on. Thank you for your diligence in getting the recipe right and I’m glad i found it to remind of a taste of home!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 06:02:00 PM by TheJoshHarding »

Offline NepaBill

« Reply #467 on: April 12, 2021, 06:24:24 AM »
Can someone help me scale the yeast for a batch of 4 dough balls? The recipe is taxing the heck out of my kitchen aid. I have a spiral mixer that will breeze through it, but I know quadrupling the yeast in conjunction with everything else wouldn’t be the best decision

Forgot to add too—I’m from northeast Pennsylvania, and this recipe is spot on. Thank you for your diligence in getting the recipe right and I’m glad i found it to remind of a taste of home!

Unless you desire a slower rise time you need to multiple the yeast amount accordingly based on the original recipe..  If your formula is in bakers percent it will dictate this..  Look at it this way..  If you have a 100lb turkey it will take more eaters (yeast) to devour that turkey in the same time as it would take a lesser amount of eaters to finish eating a 25lb turkey..  As long as everything else is staying the same, the yeast (eaters) needs to be scaled accordingly.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #468 on: April 12, 2021, 06:44:49 AM »

Yes, you would use 4 times the yeast for the same result.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #469 on: July 25, 2021, 07:21:08 PM »
Baked a small 9x9 tray today. I've been unhappy with the dough ever since we moved to high altitude 8 years ago. I bumped the hydration up to 75%+ and cold fermented it in the oiled pan for 48 hours. The results were outstanding. I like the little 9x9 pans for experimenting with dough recipes.

steel_baker  :chef:

Online apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #470 on: July 25, 2021, 08:07:14 PM »
Looking good from here and very happy to see a post from you. I learned a lot from your thread. Like the sound of a 9x9 size. Like I need another pan, "but it's for important research dear". That one is  getting thin.
Marty

Offline mkoss

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #471 on: July 31, 2021, 05:27:18 PM »
Does anybody know the link to the final bakers percentages? Thanks.
I use 2/3 water to flour ratio if this helps which means for every 100grams of flour I use 67 grams of water
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 05:29:35 PM by mkoss »

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #472 on: August 14, 2021, 12:54:38 PM »
Baked another 9x9 tray last night for my wife & I. 9x9 is the perfect size for just two of us. Again, it came out very good with a nice fry and light airy crust. 90% hydration!

steel_baker  :chef: