A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Dough Doctors cracker...No fail!  (Read 96137 times)

pizzahead714 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
Re: Dough Doctors cracker...No fail!
« Reply #320 on: January 06, 2018, 06:27:02 PM »
Great looking pies Carl.  :drool:

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #321 on: January 06, 2018, 09:47:00 PM »
Great looking pies Carl.  :drool:

Thanks Nick!!
Carl

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #322 on: January 07, 2018, 11:38:29 AM »
Hopefully, this coming week I am going to give this recipe a go on the Blackstone with no parbaking.  650F is what i will be shooting for.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #323 on: January 07, 2018, 09:28:24 PM »
Hopefully, this coming week I am going to give this recipe a go on the Blackstone with no parbaking.  650F is what i will be shooting for.
I bake mine at 550 degrees. At 650 degrees be sure to keep an eye on it, the crust can burn pretty quickly at that temp. If you are using 650 degrees for the par bake, you may want to shorten the par bake time. You just want the crust to just set up, the browning will come with the final bake.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #324 on: January 08, 2018, 08:25:03 AM »
I bake mine at 550 degrees. At 650 degrees be sure to keep an eye on it, the crust can burn pretty quickly at that temp. If you are using 650 degrees for the par bake, you may want to shorten the par bake time. You just want the crust to just set up, the browning will come with the final bake.

No parbakeing at that temperature Nick nor will I dock or use a pan or screen.  I use the same technique on my DKM based cracker crust.  Might not work with your recipe but it will be fun trying.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #325 on: January 10, 2018, 09:17:46 PM »
Randy. Look forward to seeing your results either good or bad.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #326 on: January 26, 2018, 07:41:30 AM »
Today is the day.  I had to make a couple of changes to Nicks recipe.  I would have preferred to follow it exactly.  I did not have a 1/3 teaspoon so I went with a scant half.  The second, and most important.  I do not have a food processor.  I used my kitchenaid with paddle attachment running it for one minute after the mix combined.

This will be baked in a Blackstone so that is a change. 

Anyway, if this messes up, it is my fault.

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • I make do with what I have
« Reply #327 on: January 26, 2018, 08:56:26 AM »
@Randy I've mixed the dough by hand and let it proof for 10H RT before, no issues, you should be golden =)

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #328 on: January 26, 2018, 12:00:53 PM »
  Randy, sounds good to me. What temp are you going to bake at? I have had good results by hand mixing. Since I broke my KA food processor I was trying to figure out if I could use the KA mixer, may have to give the paddle a try. Looking forward to your results.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #329 on: January 26, 2018, 06:27:07 PM »
Delicious! :D  The texture was most interesting and quite delightful.  My wife and I loved the recipe, and our thanks to Nick and the Dough Doctor.

I brought the Blackstone lower stone to 650F and while my wife prepared the pizza.  It rolled well. Since i do not use a pan, I cut the crust slightly bigger.   Say 15-16".  Then rolled the lip under to make a rim pressing it together somewhat like a pie crust.  I figure it took four minutes for the bake,  Please note no parbake.  I did dock it but next time I will try it without a dock.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #330 on: February 08, 2018, 06:10:35 PM »
I am going to make this again but this time no docking.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #331 on: February 08, 2018, 06:49:01 PM »
I think since you are cooking at higher temps and the quick bake you should be able to get away with no docking. Be sure to post pic and thoughts. Tomorrow I am making a Tony G NY style pie.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #332 on: February 10, 2018, 09:54:22 AM »
I assume you are docking your dough to avoid bubbling of the crust.  IF that is the case, then from my experience a higher temperature will actually cause more bubbling.  Just keep an eye on the pizza while it is baking, and if you see huge bubbles starting up, get a long grill fork and pop them with a couple of stabs.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #333 on: February 11, 2018, 08:07:54 AM »
I assume you are docking your dough to avoid bubbling of the crust.  IF that is the case, then from my experience a higher temperature will actually cause more bubbling.  Just keep an eye on the pizza while it is baking, and if you see huge bubbles starting up, get a long grill fork and pop them with a couple of stabs.

-ME
ME, the big bubbles I have encountered have occurred when I parbaked a thin crust pizza.  The topping seem to hold down the bubbles without a parbake on my recipe based on DKM's cracker crust.  I have not tried Nicks without docking.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #334 on: Yesterday at 09:21:58 PM »
Tonight I made Nicks recipe for our house guest.  They loved it.  Not a slice  left.  I launched it with a bottom stone temperature between 600-650F.

I am not getting the big flaky bubbles.  I did not dock it this time but I got about the same results as docking.  The bottom was nice and crunchy and snap as I cut it.

My recipe differs with Nick because I do not have a food processor.  I used my old method of a Kitchenaid mixer using the paddle.  I run it for one minute on stir just after it is well combined.

My guess is it is either the lack of parbake or maybe I put on too much sauce.  It could be the kitchenaid mixer method as well.

Still the flavor of Nicks pizza puts it right up there at the top.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #335 on: Today at 12:35:32 PM »
Randy, glad it worked out for you. I am gonna try your paddle method. I broke my KA processor at the first of the year and have not got it fixed yet.