A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
American Style / Re: Pizza Hut Pan Pizza
« Last post by Atheen_ on Today at 01:30:37 AM »
Thank you! I will definitely give it a shot, either tomorrow after I toss what's in the fridge, or next week if the pizza fairy performs a miracle on my dough overnight.  :-*

How long do you bake at 500 in a 14'' pan?

I'll post results regardless.
American Style / Re: Pizza Hut Pan Pizza
« Last post by SonVolt on Today at 12:10:53 AM »
I wrote this post on a non-pizza forum a while back, so a lot of the advice may seem obvious.  Feel free to give it a shot. I think it pretty much nails the pan pizza they served in the '80s and early '90s.

Pizza Hut Pan Pizza

The recipe started as one of those "Top Secret Recipes" that I've tweaked over time. The base recipe was surprisingly spot on (probably 90%), but I've closed the gap with minor tweaks to the point where I probably couldn't tell a difference if someone delivered one from 1993.

The Deep Dish Pan
Equipment matters in this. You can use cast iron if you have a pan large enough. I own 2 real Pizza Hut deep dish pans that I overpaid for on Ebay. I'm assuming from an employee that stole them.  Luckily, Vollrath now makes clones that are identical, minus the Pizza Hut branding on the bottom. They're also much, much cheaper and you don't have to get them on the black market.

https://www.katom.com/175-6714HC.html

Pizza Hut - Sauce
one 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 cup water, brought to a boil
½ teaspoon dried rosemary
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
1  teaspoon salt
1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Combine all dry ingredients with boiling water in a small saucepan to rehydrate, let steep for 10 minutes. Stir in tomato paste. Place over medium heat. When the mixture begins to simmer, reduce the heat and gently simmer for 2-3 minutes. Cover the sauce, and let it cool while the dough rises.

---------------------------------------------

Pizza Hut - Pan Crust
Makes a single 14-15” pan pizza
500 grams bread flour
300 grams water (10.5 ounces)
1/4 cup non-fat dry milk powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 ½ tsp table salt
1 ½ tsp instant yeast (not active dry)
2-3 tablespoons olive oil (for dough, not pan)

Mix all dry ingredients in stand mixer, add water & oil and knead ~10 minutes. Remove dough and knead by hand on counter until smooth ball is formed. Coat dough with thin layer of olive oil and place it back into the mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour in warm oven (80-90F). 

Swirl deep dish pizza pan with olive oil in tight spiral pattern, starting at center and ending at edges, between ¼ and ½ cup oil (you need more than you think to fry dough for proper texture).  This steps important. You'll think it's too much oil, but it's not.

Gently remove dough from mixing bowl and gently open it, stretching it into circle a little bigger than the pizza pan it's going into. Let it rest in that shape on the counter for a few minutes to relax the gluten. This will prevent it from shrinking back once you transfer it to the slick oil-covered pan.   

Now place stretched dough into the pan, form crust ring with your fingers by pressing into the corners of the pan around the perimeter, stretching the dough out from the center as needed so the dough is fully stretched to the edges. Now, coat the top of dough with thin layer of more oil. This is going to seem excessive, but this is how you get the soft top and wonderful contrast to the crunchy bottom. 

Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rest 1 hour until puffy. It’ll look greasy, but that’s ok. It’s Pizza Hut... if there's any large pools of oil on the top you can blot them off with a paper towel.

Go ahead and start preheating your oven at 500F w/baking steel (if using).

***When dough is risen and oven & steel are fully preheated***

Press dough down slightly with fingertips reforming crust ring as needed. Spread thin layer of sauce evenly over dough, getting some on the crust for genuine pizza hut sloppiness. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Add shredded mozzarella and pepperoni, making sure at least some of the mozzarella is scattered over the crust and touching the edge of the pan. Spray top of crust ring with cooking spray.  This will aid the crust blisters, those small bubbles that form in the crust as it bakes.

Bake 500F

Notes:
If using thin aluminum deep dish pans (my preference), preheat a baking steel and set pizza pan directly on top of steel. This will help transfer the heat it needs to fry the bottom properly. If you don't have a steel you can use a stone, but I've never tested it. I don't imagine it will work as well.

If using a cast iron pan, omit the baking steel/stone. If the bottom doesn't get as browned as you like, you can always finish it off on the stove top at the end. Probably won't be necessary though.

1lb block low moisture part-skim milk mozzarella per pizza. Polly-O or Galbani work great. You can use Boar's Head from the deli but it's a lot more expensive. Avoid the pre-shredded bagged stuff. 

Use proper cheap Hormel pepperoni or equivalent.

Use proper cheap parmesan cheese, the stuff in a can w/the green lid will do. Don't upscale this, please. It's Pizza Hut, remember...

***Doubling recipe***
Double both dough and sauce ingredients.

After hand kneading, divide dough in half and let rise directly inside 2 lightly oiled pizza pans.

For the Breadstick Seasoning:
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1¾ teaspoons garlic powder
1½ teaspoons dried basil
½ teaspoon salt

Use the same dough recipe for the breadsticks, but form & bake in rectangle pan, sliced into sticks.
I can't remember if I added the seasoning before or after baking.

Pizza Ovens / Re: Gozney Dome???
« Last post by HansB on Yesterday at 10:52:29 PM »
Seems that if someone wants the dome, give it time. I bought the Roccbox on Kickstarter, there were some delays and hiccups but it turned out to be an excellent oven, I'm glad that I was patient.

Gozney is not some fly by night outfit...

https://us.gozney.com/pages/commercial-pizza-ovens
Chicago Style / Re: Malnatis Deep Dish Sauce Series
« Last post by PizzaGarage on Yesterday at 10:30:17 PM »
Pythonic - your message box is full.  Wanted to send you something
« Last post by Essen1 on Yesterday at 10:24:12 PM »
A lot of whining about delivery, but really, in the current environment I will get it when I get it, I'm more interested in how the people who have them like them and the delivery noise far outweighs that. there's apparently a few stones have cracked but other than that, people seem happy.\, or am I misreading things.

Ira

Don't shoot the messenger, buddy.

I still don't know what the hype about this oven actually is.

It seems China-made, has a digital thermometer as an added unnecessary gimmick, and the company doesn't deliver.
The ones that have been delivered experiencing cracked stones, etc.

Not a company I'd drop 2 Gs on.

Has anyone asked where these ovens are made and what the quality control is on them? Looks like Gozney is just rushing out orders without making sure everyone receives a stellar product.
« Last post by Quebert on Yesterday at 10:21:53 PM »
A lot of whining about delivery, but really, in the current environment I will get it when I get it, I'm more interested in how the people who have them like them and the delivery noise far outweighs that. there's apparently a few stones have cracked but other than that, people seem happy.\, or am I misreading things.

Ira

I don't know how many of the complaints are legit, but I just read 2 different people complaining that Gozney had told them their Dome had shipped, and it turns out it hadn't.  That's pretty crappy if true.

One of the perks of me being broke and this oven not being cheap.  By the time I can realistically afford one, Gozney should be well past caught up to having them in stock, and if there are any initial issues they'll be fixed. Or at least people will know about them and have an idea what to do.

Pizza Toppings / Re: Found Pizza sausage for home sale!!!
« Last post by johnnytuinals on Yesterday at 10:13:32 PM »
Was at ResturantDepot a few weeks ago.
They have 2 5lb bags for $33 from Tyson- Pizzano Pork Pizza Topping.
Not a bad topping to have............JT
Off-Topic Foods / Gingerbread Swirl Bread (ADY)
« Last post by FoodSim on Yesterday at 10:10:24 PM »
Sliced
« Last post by FoodSim on Yesterday at 10:08:31 PM »
Baked
« Last post by FoodSim on Yesterday at 10:04:35 PM »
Formed & Proofed
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
wordpress