A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island  (Read 120397 times)

Offline crawsdaddy

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island
« Reply #1560 on: June 23, 2021, 01:30:33 PM »

Scott, Thank you for the post, yes indeed I have reached 74, scary as you look back, then forward, lots to try, improvements to make, many laughs ahead!

Didn't realize you were so much older than me, Happy birthday Ice.

Dan

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1561 on: June 26, 2021, 06:09:06 AM »

Warmer here now and glad I built a dough proofing box similar to Arne’s to keep the temperature more consistent. Temperature 19-20.5°, 12.5 bulk, 11.5° ball, 5.4% SD, oven 475°-495°

I for one would be very interested in seeing your box and also some stories if you care to teller any.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • Infinite Monkey Theorem at work
« Reply #1562 on: June 26, 2021, 05:32:06 PM »
To no ones surprise, I must be crazy!
It is 33.8° in the garden and I am prepping for pizza tonight. Give your head a shake Greg!
But the dough is just about ready sitting at 21°. .  ..
Greg
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1563 on: June 27, 2021, 12:34:22 PM »
It was indeed crazy temperatures for a bake but luckily the oven is outside and far from the dining area. Friends at the table, no masks, and the first time they had been here for 8 months and they live 20 minutes away! Perhaps more cautious than I.

Hand kneaded again, 66% hydration, 4.25% SD, 11 hours in bulk, 12 in ball both at 21.5° C. Having the fermentation box and the ability to keep the dough at one temperature easily has made quite a difference!
I will take a few pictures to post with a description for any that are interested

The dough was very good to hand and fire, the Prosecco cold and lively, a nice but hot evening.
  • Margherita
  • 4 cheese with Capicolli, mozzarella, smoked Cacciocavallo, Taleggio and a bit of blue cheese - delicious
  • The Schold, my take on Schold’s favourite, sweet mixed peppers, red onion, mozzarella and Basil, not as pretty as his yet.
Greg

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1564 on: June 27, 2021, 05:50:43 PM »
My fermentation box is not much different than the cooler with a frozen milk jug, but I had time and inclination. Most, if not all info came from a couple of email sessions with Arne Jervell and I thank him profusely for the help and for my first stresssless fermentation’s on one of the hottest days here. I have earned laughter and guffaws from friends and relatives, but it works. By the time I got it ready to test there was no need for the heating portion, so that part hasn’t been tested yet but the holding at a set cooling temperature works well. The parts were purchased on Amazon, the other materials are readily available.

The Inkbird controller regulates the heat or cooling, a plug for each. The heat in my case is a heating pad used for seedling and plant germination, also by Inkbird. The cooling is merely a tote or bucket to hold ice packs, which for medication, arrives every month, convenient I suppose, but milk jugs work well.the controller lets you specify the difference in temp nd fine tune the tolerances, not something I am usually associated with. Any questions I will try to answer [email protected]

Next thought is a Nanny cam to watch the pluviometer, so I don’t have to open the box,  . . .and no  - I am not the only one to install that function!

Thanks for looking
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 06:01:02 PM by Icelandr »
Greg

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1565 on: June 27, 2021, 06:07:26 PM »
Pretty cool!!!   No pun intended.  ;D
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #1566 on: June 29, 2021, 10:35:45 AM »
Quite the setup!!
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saputo Floor

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1567 on: June 29, 2021, 11:52:33 PM »
Scott, I actually enjoyed the messing around, “hobbies” and “Pursuits” are more interesting when actively engaged, in the case of Neapolitan pizza, if you don’t have a clientele to consume your experiments, you are always searching for guests! The fun is not so much in the planning but in the baking and presentation, trying to improve is the biggest hook! The old cabinetmaker, hewer of things came out and made a pretty sketchy container for a somewhat controlled ferment. It may not help the final product, but perhaps removed or reduced a variable. “Wing it” is still spoken here . . . Until after, when . . If I had . .  . .
Greg

Offline Pete_da_Bayer

• I Love pizza and beer!
« Reply #1568 on: June 30, 2021, 06:31:46 AM »
Pretty cool!!!   No pun intended.  ;D
Good one! ;D I also think it`s pretty cool.
I really admire your dedication, Greg.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1569 on: July 01, 2021, 11:55:15 AM »
Hmmm  . . . . dedication or desperation?
Thank you Peter, still driven but having fun, images from Lilla Napoli driving me crazy!
Greg

Offline Pete_da_Bayer

• I Love pizza and beer!
« Reply #1570 on: July 01, 2021, 01:07:35 PM »
Hmmm  . . . . dedication or desperation?
Thank you Peter, still driven but having fun, images from Lilla Napoli driving me crazy!
;D...Yeah, Lilla Napoli, I hope to get there soon. We are planning to go to Denmark and Sweden this summer.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1571 on: July 08, 2021, 09:19:14 PM »
No, I haven’t joined the Dark Side, but on Holiday in Bc’s Wine country and needed an old fashioned pizza - easy, Order and Eat. Back home soon
Greg

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1572 on: July 15, 2021, 05:20:27 PM »
Somehow posting about not posting seems odd even for me . . . .
I spoke with the fire Marshall today, explaining the changes I had made to the flue for the Pizza Party, added a section of stove pipe, added 2 layers of fine screen at the top to contain any sparks, and he said while they can’t stop me from using the oven he would suggest I don’t. The island is very very dry, no gas power tools allowed, extreme caution, industry shut down, but the reason that affects them the most is people smelling the smoke and reporting fire, which they obviously have to respond to. Until we get some rain my oven is shut down.
Focaccia in the oven however is allowed and tasted very good! I may go back many years and try the electric oven again, though obviously not for Neapolitan. Looking forward to rain!
Greg

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #1573 on: July 15, 2021, 06:11:40 PM »
Who knows, maybe you can make tasty pizza in the domestic oven too..!

By now you have enough experience, try a focacchia, a pizza al taglio, a tonda romana, a normal Italian pizza, NY, Detroit, Bar, or many other styles.  Try to make a coffee cup instead of a tea one! :D

Be careful of what you ask for, we've just had the worst rain in a 100 years here in western Europe..
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1574 on: July 15, 2021, 06:27:53 PM »
Greg,

You have amply demonstrated your talents and skills and intelligence and knowledge about pizza making that I am confident that you will apply those attributes to making pizzas in a home oven.

Peter

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #1575 on: July 16, 2021, 08:46:29 AM »
Definitely sounds like you need a few Detroit pans.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1576 on: July 16, 2021, 12:26:19 PM »
I'd say relax with some BBQ but then I got the message...

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1577 on: July 16, 2021, 01:49:47 PM »
Thank you for your responses!
I am starting with a BostonPizza Clone, just because it was the last pizza I had (see above) and it was an easy find. I will explore more oven bakes, perhaps Pete-zza’s Pappa John’s Clone from many moons back.

Another memory flash took me to this thread
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=63014.0
Which is about adding a removable gas burner to the PizzaParty 70x70, an interesting approach that would solve my summer problems, I think there is a certainty this shut down during summer will be a recurring issue!
Greg

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #1578 on: July 16, 2021, 02:37:52 PM »
IMO, gas can be just as good if not better than wood..

I think the pizza party was also delivered with a pipe burner, you'd need to drill a hole in the front and insert a suitable burner.  Might be quite useful if you aren't allowed open flames!

Or maybe it's not that easy, I'd google it first.

I should have read the thread before replying.. :D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 02:40:28 PM by amolapizza »
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Pete_da_Bayer

• I Love pizza and beer!
« Reply #1579 on: July 16, 2021, 02:51:58 PM »
It´s a pity, that Pizzaparty doesn´t offer the wood/gas hybrid Bollore anymore. But it might be worth asking Simone from Pizzapartyshop, if there´s the gas pipe including tap as spare-part for the bollore. I don`t see any difference between our ovens apart from the hole for the burner.