A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Joe’s Pizza NYC dough and sauce.  (Read 81563 times)

Online Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Joe’s Pizza NYC dough and sauce.
« Reply #140 on: February 18, 2023, 04:53:17 PM »
I found Joe's pizza to be basic AF and only slightly better than average.  Many of the home made pics on this forum look way better. 

I hope Joe's pizza isn't anyone's end goal, but it could be a decent starting point to evolve from.

I made it and also didn't find it to be anything amazing, I mean it was good but regular to me. But that's probably why he's so open with the recipe, whereas most other places guard theirs like the Krusty Krabs formula.  The secret is in the ovens he uses and the cooking technique.  The actual recipe's about as basic as you can get. With my oven and technique, I just can't duplicate what he does and he knows this so he has no problem sharing it with the world. I've never had pizza from there but I know people rave about it so I know it's really good and it was my attempt failing.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 05:39:31 PM by Quebert »

Offline TheRealJonnyD

• All pizzas are beautiful.
« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2023, 07:07:00 PM »
Hi mr Andrew, actually this post was the reason I entered this forum, thank you, this means a lot for a lot of us, I honestly don't understand the instructions, what do you mean by cold fermented for at least 12 hours and thrown out after 48 hours?  Also how many hours should the dough be at RT before cf depending on Room temp?

He means that the dough cold ferments for between 12 and 48hrs, if the dough is not used within 48hrs it's discarded. There is a relatively low amount of yeast in this recipe, however, so it can go much longer than that. The flavor does change (improve, even) the longer it goes but the texture will begin to change on much longer ferments. 72hrs is really what I recommend. As far as RT before CT, it's highly dependent on the room temp. 

He addresses that here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=66137.msg646779#msg646779

and here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=66137.msg646796#msg646796

Like mentioned previously, the yeast percentage is pretty low (About .16% when converted from CY to IDY) so I would look at TXcraig1's prediction charts for a better idea: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.0

You can easily adjust the yeast amounts, RT or CT times, or a combination of each to fit your schedule/room temp/fridge temp.
Jon

Offline Swinger-mike

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #142 on: February 27, 2023, 07:41:12 AM »
Have Andrew saied anything about cooking time and cooking method (for example does Joe cook the pizza on the screen first, then on the stone)?
if you read the thread you will know.

Offline Gig103

« Reply #143 on: March 16, 2023, 06:20:46 PM »
Well, you got the All Trumps part right...

Not same day dough.  Cold fermented for at least 12 hours and thrown out after 48.

100% All Trumps
57% Water
2.7% Salt
1.5% Sugar
0.5% Fresh Yeast

Hi Andrew, or maybe anyone,
If a recipe calls for 0.5% fresh yeast, but I'm using instant yeast, do I do the appropriate 30% factor? In other words would I only use 0.15% IDY? That seems really low but I'm only now learning how to really bake (understanding the variables) instead of only following recipes
Ooni Koda 16

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #144 on: March 16, 2023, 08:00:04 PM »
If a recipe calls for 0.5% fresh yeast, but I'm using instant yeast, do I do the appropriate 30% factor? In other words would I only use 0.15% IDY? That seems really low but I'm only now learning how to really bake (understanding the variables) instead of only following recipes
Gig103,

Yes, you use 0.15% IDY. For convenience, you can also use the yeast conversion table at:

https://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm

Peter

Offline TheRealJonnyD

• All pizzas are beautiful.
« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2023, 08:29:16 PM »

You are correct, it's pretty low for the CT times stated. I would not follow the yeast percentage in any recipe like this too closely as it's tailored to their room temp, fridge temp and general dough management procedures. Joe's leaves the dough out until they "see some action" before transferring to the cooler, this will jump start fermentation especially considering how warm pizzeria kitchens tend to be. Adjust your yeast percentage to match your schedule, room temp and fridge temp. You can check out TXCraig1's bakers yeast prediction charts for more help with yeast amounts found here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.0
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 08:31:01 PM by TheRealJonnyD »
Jon

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2023, 09:21:39 PM »
I err on the side of too much yeast and retard as necessary.  My RT in the winter is 60F, so I have to ignore anyone else's "RT".
John

Offline rocketslice

• To The Moon!
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2023, 09:48:52 PM »
My Joes tribute pizza. Made in WP500 oven. 

Quick question. When you mill the tomatoes are you supposed to add the puree or strain it and discard it and only use the tomatoes?

Offline typecase

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2023, 09:26:29 PM »
You're very welcome Larry!  That's some beautiful pizza!

So sad to hear about Andrew's passing. He was so generous with his knowledge. I was really hoping to take his class one day.

Offline MGJBLKTR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #149 on: July 26, 2023, 12:48:43 PM »
My Joes tribute pizza. Made in WP500 oven. 

Quick question. When you mill the tomatoes are you supposed to add the puree or strain it and discard it and only use the tomatoes?

I milled the tomatoes, just poured the whole can of Nina in but I always do it the day before and let it sit in the fridge overnight.  I've noticed the consistency is thicker like in the youtube vids when I do it that way. 

Offline nanometric

• Lifetime Member
  • Crusty
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2024, 12:16:54 PM »
My calculation is 5 teaspoons of sugar for a 28 oz can of tomato. Below is my calc, hopefully someone can double-check.

Double-checked and got:

0.7044 oz = 19.97 g = 4.752 tsp sugar for a 28oz can.

using https://foodsim.toastguard.com/ for the grams-to-tsp conversion (granulated sucrose).

FWIW I recently tried 3 tsp sugar for 28oz of Stanislaus 7/11 and found it too sweet. YMMV

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2024, 12:26:45 PM »
I went to Joe's in Hollywood on Hollywood Blvd on Saturday.  Never been to NYC but heard so much about Joe's and had to try it.  I liked it but I rushed it because I had an expensive guitar in my SUV (out of sight from view) so was nervous about possible break ins and I hurried myself.  Never had a car broken into in Hollywood, but just a bit nervous so was in a hurry. I want to go back again and be slower and take in the pizza.  But for rushing I liked the pizza a lot.  How it compares to the original NYC version, I don't know. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 12:29:05 PM by PizzaEater101 »

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2024, 12:38:09 PM »
Pictured is Outside looking at Joe's store front.  Slices I ordered.  Pizza display.  The street corner a couple stores down from Joe's.

I liked the pizza so I want to try to make it with the help of this discussion.