A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The Doughs of My Life  (Read 82661 times)

Offline 9slicePie

Re: The Doughs of My Life
« Reply #1100 on: July 02, 2021, 11:19:58 AM »
On average, how many inches are your pies?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 11:29:33 AM by 9slicePie »

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1101 on: July 02, 2021, 11:27:55 AM »
Around 29-30 cm, so 11-12 inches.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #1102 on: July 07, 2021, 10:40:08 AM »
Always beautiful pizza. That anchovy/olive combination sounds absolutely delicious.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1103 on: July 11, 2021, 11:24:47 AM »
I've soon spent my Pivetti Mimosa supply, and I have decided that I really like it. A lot! The handling is superb, the best I've achieved both in terms of touch/feel, elasticity and extensibility. For texture and flavor, I do prefer Caputo Pizzeria, but the rest of my family all favor Pivetti Mimosa. I will buy this again some time.

The dough today:
  • 100% Pivetti Mimosa, 65% water, 2.8% salt, 5.3% SD
  • 27 hours (12+15) @ 21.0 C
  • 1.9x volume increase (29 mm in the rain meter)

My Neapolitan Basil is still bursting with flavor. I used that variety exclusively on today's pies. The previously mentioned anise note did shine through in the cooked pies today. Tasty.

This was lunch for the four of us, the usual favorites to the boys, and margherita for the grown ups. Well, except we spiked one of them with a little chili and some pancetta leftovers.

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #1104 on: July 11, 2021, 02:37:55 PM »
They look delicious! I haven't eaten pizza from a w.f.o. in a while, but it adds to the flavor i remember! I need to get me a w.f.o. too!

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #1105 on: July 11, 2021, 04:53:39 PM »
Wonderful looking cornicione Arne!  I also like the way you put the basil on the pizza before baking as opposed to afterwards.  They all look delicious!

I am not familiar with your flour.  Is that from the local Italian store?
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saputo Floor

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • Infinite Monkey Theorem at work
« Reply #1106 on: July 12, 2021, 12:05:00 PM »
Arne congratulations once again on the beautiful pizza, the colouring, cornichone are signature! Your dough box must also be working as I note the fermentation temperature is 21 and bet the outside temp is much higher, as it is here.
Are the boys still shaping and baking their pies?

I look forward to future posts!
Here bakes are in doubt due to very hot dry conditions, no fires or gas power tools allowed, I dont want to be the one that burns down Gabriola!
Greg
A very patient wife, PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor, backup Ooni 16

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1107 on: July 12, 2021, 04:27:41 PM »
Wario, Scott and Greg, thank you for your kind comments.

I am not familiar with your flour.  Is that from the local Italian store?

Yes I found it in the local Italian store "Smak av Italia". I used to get Petra from them, but it seems they have discontinued that and started selling Pivetti flours instead.

Your dough box must also be working as I note the fermentation temperature is 21 and bet the outside temp is much higher, as it is here.

You're right: The room temperature outside the box averages at 25 C these days. The dough box works like a charm, keeping the temperatures steady at the desired setting. 

Summer temperatures here vary quite a bit day to day (not to mention day to night), so I've added a warming element too to save the extra cool nights. It's a simple light bulb, but it is actually more than sufficient to keep the temperature inside the box from dropping below the set temperature.

Are the boys still shaping and baking their pies?

Sadly the spark seems to be missing this year. Not sure why, but a couple of mis-launches last fall may have something to do with it. I gently "nudge" now and then, asking if they want to have a go, but no. I don't want to push them. Maybe with time...

Here bakes are in doubt due to very hot dry conditions, no fires or gas power tools allowed, I dont want to be the one that burns down Gabriola!

Good thinking in unfortunate circumstances...

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1108 on: July 20, 2021, 09:42:38 PM »
Must be time for another fine bake! Some of us out here in the dry hinterlands need some pictures of Norwegian Neapolitan! If you want to add a wine bar as neighbouring Lilla Napoli has lately it can only increase the desire to travel . . .  So much less than 10 minutes in space!
Greg

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1109 on: July 21, 2021, 06:31:58 AM »
Greg, if it helps with your travel planning I can tell you that we have a couple of well stocked wine fridges in the basement. In fact they are overflowing. :-D

Fortunately, some help is on the way. I'll be making a dough soon for a small party tomorrow. I'll post an update once the dust has settled. 

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1110 on: July 22, 2021, 04:39:28 PM »
This was a nice hot day with blue skies and temperatures close to, but not quite, 30 C. Well maybe in front of the oven.

The dough today: 100% Caputo Pizzeria, 65% water, 2.8% salt, 9.3% SD.
Fermented for 22 hours total (in bulk for 13 hours at 21 C, then in balls for 9 hours at 20 C to slow it down just a little).
The dough had risen about 80-90% when I started baking (29 mm in the rain meter).

The dough was good but could have spent a little more of the total fermentation time in balls to be a bit more relaxed.

I've been using a few different flours recently and find it quite interesting to experience what a change of just the flour can do to my dough (that is, "AOTBE"). The most notable changes to me are in the way the dough feels and handles, as well as the taste and texture of the finished pie. And they cook different too. Differences aside, I think all the flours I've tested have been great! Notwithstanding, coming back to Caputo Pizzeria is like coming "home" to me. I love the taste and the wonderful texture that I get out of this flour.

I'm shaping and dressing my pizzas on a stainless steel outdoor countertop, and in hot weather like today, the dough can easily stick to the counter if I take a little too long dressing it before transferring it to the peel. To counter this, I placed a wooden board on top of the counter and rested the dough disc there for dressing. This worked really well I though, no need to rush things this time.

A couple of old favorites as well as come new topping combinations today:
  • Understretched Margherita: I used Neapolitan Basil exclusively, the leaves are now huge and really do look like lettuce leaves.
  • iLLEb: nduja, olives and caramelized onions on a base of tomatoes and mozzarella. I added a touch of smoked buffalo mozzarella to the mix this time.
  • Club Maccaroni: Tomatoes, mozzarella, chvre, caramelized onions, cured ham and arugula. I named this pie after a pizzeria nearby that has a pizza simply called "Chvre" on the menu, with this exact topping combo.
  • King Crab: Mozzarella, shallot, spring onion, king crab and lime zest. The crab was fried in advance with chili, ginger and garlic and rested in a mix of lime juice and chopped cilantro.
  • Nduja & Salsiccia: With challot and basil.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 05:00:50 PM by Arne_Jervell »

Offline Santastico

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1111 on: July 23, 2021, 11:00:27 AM »
Any experience using Criscito di casa Caputo (Antico Lievito Madre)? It is an ancient mother yest from Caputo. Got from an Italian store and want to try.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1112 on: July 23, 2021, 12:09:55 PM »
Sorry, never tried that. Using primarily my Ischia culture.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #1113 on: July 23, 2021, 12:54:00 PM »
FWIW, I think it's just IDY mixed with dried sourdough.  That is to say that it will add some acids and other compounds to the dough to mimic a sourdough.  For the first attempt, I'd make an 8-9 hour direct dough and dose it as recommended on the packet.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1114 on: July 28, 2021, 12:39:33 PM »
Arne, dont let my silence make you think I am no longer impressed with your pizzas and their creativity, jealousy affects people in different ways, compounded of course with a lack of oven to join in. Keep them coming, I will live vicariously through your posts . . . . Until the first rain!
Greg

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1115 on: July 29, 2021, 04:02:07 AM »
Thanks Greg but I think perhaps the only thing you should be jealous about is the rain. It's pouring down here and has been doing so for a few days now. Will see if things clear up soon or otherwise I'll have to break out the party tent...

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1116 on: July 31, 2021, 07:22:00 AM »
Finally time for another bake. The timing was a little tricky this time, as we were going away for 24 hours and coming home just in time to fire up the oven to get it hot by reasonable dinner time.

The Dough
100% Caputo Pizzeria, 63% water, 2.8% salt, 3.6% SD
Fermentation time was 28 hours @ 21 C (*), with just one hour in bulk and 27 hours in balls.
(*) The dough had not risen as much as expected when I returned home, so I upped the temperature to 23 C for the final two hours. In the end, we only saw a rise of a little above 50% on this dough.

Soup Pizza
With limited time to prepare toppings, we had planned for a basic menu with just margherita and marinara. While away, however, my youngest son and I joked about making "soup pizza" from leftovers in the fridge. What started as a joke ended up as a whacky little project. With both tomato soup and onion soup leftovers in the fridge back home, we divided the project among us: he would take charge of coming up with a tomato soup pizza and I would do the onion soup one.

After we got home and had fired up the oven, we raided the fridge and landed on the following topping combinations:

Christian's Tomato Soup Pizza
  • Tomato soup (reduced)
  • Macaroni
  • Boiled egg
  • Salt and pepper

Arne's Onion Soup Pizza
  • Onion soup (strained and pureed)
  • Gruyere
  • Fior Di Latte
  • Salsiccia
  • Olives (on half the pie)

In addition, a margherita and a marinara.

The Cook
The dough was good, despite not rising as much as I was looking for. Good and relaxed and with sufficient strength.

We still have plenty of that Neapolitan Basil and used that for the margherita. I used Fior Di Latte instead of the usual Mozzarella, contributing to a different melt than usual.

Some photos below.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1117 on: August 08, 2021, 11:04:22 AM »
My siblings and I gathered our spouses with kids and threw a birthday party for our mother on her 70th birthday. It was hosted by me, so of course there was pizza.

Encouraged by the nice properties of my previous dough, I decided to go for something very similar:
  • 100% Caputo Pizzeria
  • 63% Water
  • 2.8% Salt
  • 6.3% SD

Mixed with sun6 spiral mixer for 7-8 minutes at 125 RPM.
Final dough temperature: 21.4 C.
Fermented and matured for 25 hours at 21.0 C (one hour in bulk, the rest in balls).
It had about doubled in volume when I started shaping the first pie.

Just as I remember from last time, the dough was really enjoyable to work with. Very stretchable, low elasticity, good strength, nice puffiness, pretty good freckling at times, and, most importantly, tasty. One pie got "punctured" in the oven, but that was due to bad handling on my part.

I want to do another repeat of this dough, it just feels right.

It has been quite a while since we threw a pizza party of this size, and it felt great. Of course more hectic than smaller parties (and much more preparation) but well worth the effort; so much laughter, smiles and joy.

As for the menu, I focused mainly on tried and true "party pleasers", but I did sneak in a new combo: Gorgonzola and 'nduja. I liked it a lot!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 11:09:02 AM by Arne_Jervell »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1118 on: August 08, 2021, 01:16:34 PM »
Arne,

Those pizzas are beautiful.

Peter

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1119 on: August 08, 2021, 04:10:51 PM »
Wonderful colors, wonderful pizza!
A departure from your more common timing for fermentation I believe, how did you like the 1 hour bulk for extensibility?

Here I could cook on the concrete deck but cant light a fire!

I enjoy your posts!
Greg

wordpress