A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The Doughs of My Life  (Read 80348 times)

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
Re: The Doughs of My Life
« Reply #1120 on: August 09, 2021, 09:38:57 AM »
Thank you Peter and Greg.

Greg, my recent 1 hour bulk doughs have been more extensible than usual, and with less elasticity. It is very easy to stretch (but not too easy) and it does not pull back too much (just a touch).

I started doing this because I had to; I was going away and could not do anything with my dough for 24 hours. With such a long time in balls, I anticipated a more relaxed dough but feared it could go too far and cause me trouble. So to compensate for the short bulk I made a stronger dough than usual by lowering the hydration and keeping the mixing time the same as I do for my regular "wetter" doughs.

I think I must have accidentally hit close to some sort of sweet spot, because it worked so well. Despite the ease of stretching, enough strength is present to keep everything together even as I slide a (at times heavily) topped pie from the bench to the peel. Even with such a strong dough, the cooked results is soft and delicate.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #1121 on: August 09, 2021, 10:08:24 AM »
Arne,  how many grams is each of your dough balls?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 10:10:04 AM by 9slicePie »

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #1122 on: August 09, 2021, 11:17:07 AM »
Wonderful pizzas Arne.  I wish we had seen the happy party goers as well!  What was the favorite from the guests?

I think the Gorgonzola and 'nduja may be one I will have to try!  Perhaps with Provolone??
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saputo Floor

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1123 on: August 09, 2021, 01:06:06 PM »
Arne,  how many grams is each of your dough balls?

Hi they are 260 grams. My pizza peel is 33 cm wide (13 inches) which is how far I stretch it. After shrinkage from launching and cooking, a typical pie usually ends up around 29-30 cm (but with the latest "very relaxed" dough balls, maybe 30-31 cm or so).

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1124 on: August 09, 2021, 01:13:54 PM »
Wonderful pizzas Arne.  I wish we had seen the happy party goers as well!  What was the favorite from the guests?

Thank you Scott. We were 23 people from 1 to 70 years of age, so naturally the guests had wildly different preferences. All in all, though, I think the salmon was probably the overall favorite. That's also kind of funny, because that's the one people seem most hesitant about too -- until they've had a slice. :-D

I think the Gorgonzola and 'nduja may be one I will have to try!  Perhaps with Provolone??

Yeah, try with Provolone too! I think maybe cheese and 'nduja was made for each other. (I've made toast with Jarlsberg and 'nduja and that works really well too).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 01:21:50 PM by Arne_Jervell »

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1125 on: August 15, 2021, 05:54:14 AM »
One of our most cherished yearly pizza parties is traditionally held in June, before the summer holidays start in full. The covid situation made that impossible this year, and we feared we had to cancel. Fortunately the restrictions have now been eased, making a reschedule possible. Yesterday, finally, we met with good friends and their families and had a wonderful time!

• 100% Caputo Pizzeria
  • 63% Water
  • 5.3% SD
  • 2.8% Salt

Fermentation was performed at 21 C for 25 hours (the first two in bulk, the rest in balls). The volume increased about 70% in that time and the dough was in great condition when the baking started.

The menu was varied, and each family brought a few ingredients each. One of the dads brought a glass of anchovy fillets, knowing about my little project. They went on a marinara to get "center stage" as an extra challenge. The two of us enjoyed it, but most other guests preferred something other than anchovy pie. Go figure.  :-D

It was the first time I served "iLLEb" to this crowd and it really struck home. As did "Icelandr", my take on my good Canadian friend's recipe, here with taleggio, olives, semi dried tomatoes and escarole (endive). Still, the winner hands down was the salmon pie ... again.

Not all 28 pizzas got snapped, but a selection is presented below.

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #1126 on: August 17, 2021, 01:42:42 PM »
Looks like a wonderful get together that even the rain could not spoil.  The pizzas look wonderful!!
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saputo Floor

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1127 on: August 17, 2021, 06:10:06 PM »
Your pies look amazing.  Very well balanced. 

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1128 on: August 25, 2021, 09:07:29 AM »
Thank you very much for the nice comments.  :chef:

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1129 on: August 25, 2021, 09:08:44 AM »

Some good old friends came over for pizza, so I figured the time was as good as any to play around with some experimental topping combinations.

"Pancetta"
A red onion compote based pie with mozzarella, pancetta, sliced red onions and mixed peppers. Post bake I added some arugula too.
The reception was surprisingly good, and for a first attempt I was quite pleased myself. The sweetness from the onion compote combined with the saltiness and savoriness from the pancetta worked really well together, and mozzarella and sliced red onion was a nice complement. As for the peppers and arugula, I think they contributed mostly color. Think I might skip the arugula next time. Other than that, I think this is ready for my "book of recipies".

"Arne Ananas"
With mozzarella, nduja and roasted pineapple as the main ingredients, I also added some sliced fresh chili and red onion pre-bake. Lime zest was added post bake.
I know I just lost a few readers now, but my guests were really excited about this one. I though it was good but that it could use a little tuning.

Mushroom
Mushrooms are in season and I was trying to get a hold of porcini. No such luck, but locally sourced chanterelles mixed with oyster and king oyster made for a fine mushroom pie.

The dough this time was made from Caputo Pizzeria, 63% water, 2.8% salt and 5.5% SD.
Mixed for 8 minutes in my sun spiral mixer.
6 hours in bulk, 20 hours in balls.
Fermentation temperature: 21 C for the first 15 hours, then 23 C for the remaining time (the dough was a little behind).
Reached about 70% volume expansion when the first pizza was made.

Some photos below.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #1130 on: August 25, 2021, 09:13:46 AM »
I'm not a fan of pineapple on pizza, but I think that could convert me.

Offline Santastico

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1131 on: August 25, 2021, 03:14:48 PM »
My siblings and I gathered our spouses with kids and threw a birthday party for our mother on her 70th birthday. It was hosted by me, so of course there was pizza.

Encouraged by the nice properties of my previous dough, I decided to go for something very similar:
  • 100% Caputo Pizzeria
  • 63% Water
  • 2.8% Salt
  • 6.3% SD

Mixed with sun6 spiral mixer for 7-8 minutes at 125 RPM.
Final dough temperature: 21.4 C.
Fermented and matured for 25 hours at 21.0 C (one hour in bulk, the rest in balls).
It had about doubled in volume when I started shaping the first pie.

Just as I remember from last time, the dough was really enjoyable to work with. Very stretchable, low elasticity, good strength, nice puffiness, pretty good freckling at times, and, most importantly, tasty. One pie got "punctured" in the oven, but that was due to bad handling on my part.

I want to do another repeat of this dough, it just feels right.

It has been quite a while since we threw a pizza party of this size, and it felt great. Of course more hectic than smaller parties (and much more preparation) but well worth the effort; so much laughter, smiles and joy.

As for the menu, I focused mainly on tried and true "party pleasers", but I did sneak in a new combo: Gorgonzola and 'nduja. I liked it a lot!

Arne: your pizzas are fantastic. It looks like "Little Naples" in Scandinavia. I was wondering if you have ever done any videos showing your technique for turning those balls into beautiful pies. I tried extremely hard but cannot find a way to get anything even similar to your pizzas. Mine tend to get extremely thin in the middle and break while in the oven. Also, I can never get that beautiful crust on the edges.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1132 on: August 26, 2021, 03:12:03 AM »
Arne: your pizzas are fantastic. It looks like "Little Naples" in Scandinavia. I was wondering if you have ever done any videos showing your technique for turning those balls into beautiful pies. I tried extremely hard but cannot find a way to get anything even similar to your pizzas. Mine tend to get extremely thin in the middle and break while in the oven. Also, I can never get that beautiful crust on the edges.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm afraid I take pictures rather than making videos, but I have been watching plenty of videos of others. I think the stretching, transportation and cooking parts have a lot to say for the final result, and it sounds to me like you are on to the same idea.

I'd suggest you seek out and watch as many videos on the subject as you can.

Neapolitan Pizza Making With the Masters is an oft referenced video that I too find very instructuve:

In addition, I think Lilla Napoli's "Baka en Marinara" video is very good, showing a slightly different approach. It' in Swedish, but not sure you need the audio. :-)

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1133 on: August 26, 2021, 03:13:31 AM »
I'm not a fan of pineapple on pizza, but I think that could convert me.

We usually slice up and share each pizza as it comes out of the oven, and topping combinations are rotated so that two consecutive pies rarely are the same (except big parties). I've noticed that his seems to lowers the bar for people to try pizzas they otherwise would hesitate to ask for, if they had to eat a whole pie.

My salmon pie is a good example of this. So much hesitation at first, yet so many requests for more. :-D

Not sure if applicable to this particular case though. These guys were pineapple crazy from the get go!

Cheers!

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #1134 on: August 26, 2021, 08:05:56 AM »
We usually slice up and share each pizza as it comes out of the oven, and topping combinations are rotated so that two consecutive pies rarely are the same (except big parties). I've noticed that his seems to lowers the bar for people to try pizzas they otherwise would hesitate to ask for, if they had to eat a whole pie.

My salmon pie is a good example of this. So much hesitation at first, yet so many requests for more. :-D

Not sure if applicable to this particular case though. These guys were pineapple crazy from the get go!

Cheers!
For me, my reluctance is just not having enjoyed warm/cooked pineapple in the past. But I would have had a slice of that one!

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • Infinite Monkey Theorem at work
« Reply #1135 on: August 26, 2021, 09:37:35 AM »
And he topped it off with a very cool T shirt!
One of yours Arne?
Greg
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline Santastico

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1136 on: August 26, 2021, 03:56:45 PM »
Thank you for the kind words. I'm afraid I take pictures rather than making videos, but I have been watching plenty of videos of others. I think the stretching, transportation and cooking parts have a lot to say for the final result, and it sounds to me like you are on to the same idea.

I'd suggest you seek out and watch as many videos on the subject as you can.

Neapolitan Pizza Making With the Masters is an oft referenced video that I too find very instructuve:

In addition, I think Lilla Napoli's "Baka en Marinara" video is very good, showing a slightly different approach. It' in Swedish, but not sure you need the audio. :-)

Thank you. I had watched the first video before. I may need more training. What happens to my dough is when I start stretching it it just breaks in the middle or it become very very thin and when I add toppings it breaks and then you know the mess that it makes inside the oven. Oh well!!! Back to trying again and again. :)

Offline Roberto_buonissimo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1137 on: August 27, 2021, 05:31:41 AM »
they look absolutley stunning  :drool: :drool: :drool:

is there a way to convert the SD % in fresh yeast % ?

would be great to know, because when i leave my dough for that long i always get FLAT dough balls - yours look like perfectly fermented and full of air.

thanks !

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1138 on: August 27, 2021, 09:35:37 AM »
And he topped it off with a very cool T shirt!
One of yours Arne?
It's not my own design, but very appropriate for the occasion I thought. :)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1139 on: August 27, 2021, 11:14:13 AM »
is there a way to convert the SD % in fresh yeast % ?

would be great to know, because when i leave my dough for that long i always get FLAT dough balls - yours look like perfectly fermented and full of air.

thanks !
Roberto,

You might want to take a look at these two items:

https://www.sourdoughhome.com/how-do-i-convert-a-regular-recipe-to-sourdough/

http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/howdoiconvertyeastbreadrec.html

As you may know, a packet of yeast, whether it is ADY or IDY, weighs 7 grams here in the U.S. So, the equivalent in fresh yeast is about three times that. Should you wish to be very accurate with the conversions, this table does a good job of that:

https://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm

What you would like to do will depend a lot on what kind of sourdough you will be using, especially the amounts of flour and water. The above articles try to walk you through the steps to do a conversion.

Peter

wordpress