A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Back in the New York Groove  (Read 32202 times)

Offline Georgev

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Back in the New York Groove
« Reply #280 on: October 08, 2021, 02:41:57 PM »
That really sucks. The place wasn't even open for a year. I could forgive someone for pretty much any kind of behavior when something like this is going on in their life, not that he really did anything wrong here. Hopefully the next chapter in his story won't take too long to unfold. At least he was able to pursue his vision once. Most of us will never get the chance at all.
Saw this today as well hope him the best. To be clear he’s off the forum now because he dislikes some of the energy from certain members?

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #281 on: October 08, 2021, 03:08:19 PM »
Saw this today as well hope him the best. To be clear he’s off the forum now because he dislikes some of the energy from certain members?
I guess so. Why he would post a screenshot of himself saying that to someone else on some other social media site instead of just saying it here, I don't know. When he first posted it, I didn't even think it was own statement. I thought it was someone else saying it. Anybody's guess is as good as mine as far as what was really going on there.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #282 on: October 08, 2021, 03:38:54 PM »
As I remember, some new members were looking for opinions and advice on opening new pizzerias and asking about business models etc. A few here that are current successful owners offered advice, not all in agreement and some animosity ensued. To me, a variety of opinions to choose from is a plus! To Andrew it would seem, less soo. This might not be the only reason, but part as I remember......
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Online caymus

« Reply #283 on: October 08, 2021, 05:35:09 PM »
At 60 years old, how many new starts does he have to his dream joint? Wish him the best, but.....

From his previous posts he seems excited to open a new shop and achieve his level of perfection.  He may get bored after that phase is over.  His earlier posts from Asia (Malaysia?) were interesting.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #284 on: October 09, 2021, 02:35:38 AM »
I'm really sorry to read this news...I wish you the best, Andrew

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #285 on: October 12, 2021, 04:12:50 PM »
Andrew,

Like many here, I've enjoyed your posts from SE Asia, Joes, and your most recent adventures in NYC. I hope all works out well for you. If you are so inclined, please keep us in the loop.

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #286 on: October 13, 2021, 01:15:53 PM »
Is Andrew not running his newly opened pizzeria?? what am i missing here? ::)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #287 on: October 13, 2021, 04:44:55 PM »
Sadly, I think this is the case.  The website says the pizzas and pizzeria are still there, but Andrew is gone.   

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #288 on: October 13, 2021, 05:00:28 PM »
I read here or elsewhere, he cited irreconcilable differences on working issues with his partner and walked away from it.....who knows......
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Online waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #289 on: October 13, 2021, 05:58:00 PM »
probably will never know the whole story as we shouldn't.  High profile breakups are tough.  It reinforces me once again to never take on partners. 
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #290 on: October 13, 2021, 06:45:00 PM »
I get not wanting financial partners but I would imagine that is difficult to do these days in New York City. Sure there are other places Andrew could have started up with less startup costs and maybe even without partners, but I think getting back to the top in NYC was part of the goal.

I've never had Andrew's vodka sauce, but a knock off Vodka-roni slice is pretty delicious.

Online waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #291 on: October 13, 2021, 06:54:55 PM »
I get not wanting financial partners but I would imagine that is difficult to do these days in New York City. Sure there are other places Andrew could have started up with less startup costs and maybe even without partners, but I think getting back to the top in NYC was part of the goal.

I've never had Andrew's vodka sauce, but a knock off Vodka-roni slice is pretty delicious.

for sure.  that is why I am in Reno, NV.  I could never afford to do pizza the way I do it in the NYC Metro area. I would have to hire pizza makers, be open 70 hour a week, and a staff to fill those hours.  In todays world that sounds like a continual train wreck.  Being here it allows me to make a pie and approach basically no one could do back home. 

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #292 on: October 14, 2021, 09:08:32 AM »
probably will never know the whole story as we shouldn't.  High profile breakups are tough.  It reinforces me once again to never take on partners.

Particularly in the food biz! My dad learned that in his first restaurant venture!!!
Jon

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #293 on: October 14, 2021, 02:51:50 PM »
His name is still on the pizzeria and he is the one created menu,
I think i read it somewhere , where his partner announced AB is no longer involved ( AB is mentioned as a chef)
I am hoping he gets royalty from it. He has to get compensated one way or another. Maybe his partner bought him out for which AB couldn't refuse.....who know,

Online waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #294 on: October 14, 2021, 04:50:05 PM »
His name is still on the pizzeria and he is the one created menu,
I think i read it somewhere , where his partner announced AB is no longer involved ( AB is mentioned as a chef)
I am hoping he gets royalty from it. He has to get compensated one way or another. Maybe his partner bought him out for which AB couldn't refuse.....who know,
|

I have seen people with knowledge but no dough (no pun intended) sell their name and recipes to a partner with the dough to make it happen.

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #295 on: October 14, 2021, 06:04:27 PM »
|

I have seen people with knowledge but no dough (no pun intended) sell their name and recipes to a partner with the dough to make it happen.

This could be one of those case...who knows

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #296 on: October 14, 2021, 07:39:41 PM »
|

Kinda what I was thinking!
Jon

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #297 on: October 14, 2021, 11:10:12 PM »
Im sure Andrew will have a new pizzeria soon.  His pizza was awesome, creative, and he kicked up quite a bit of press which is worth gold in the restaurant business.  There are many more prospective partners out there looking for exactly this, and there will be a better match.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #298 on: October 14, 2021, 11:27:21 PM »
Wish him all the best, hate to see anyone on the receiving end of a raw deal......
Jon

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #299 on: October 15, 2021, 11:50:00 AM »
I could be that Andrew is great with food but not with business.  I recall him saying that he wanted to have low-cost slices.   However, you can't have Cadillac ingredients, high NYC overhead and low-prices.  Math is an absolute science, unless you're in government.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

wordpress