A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: First impressions and review of the Famag IM-5S Spiral mixer  (Read 9395 times)

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: First impressions and review of the Famag IM-5S Spiral mixer
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2021, 02:38:00 PM »
Google Maps says if I leave now, I can be there in 30 hours.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2021, 02:39:57 PM »
That's just about the right time for a nice 30h RT dough!  :-D
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2021, 02:40:08 PM »
Google Maps says if I leave now, I can be there in 30 hours.

I'll start a batch of dough for you.  Should be ready by the time you get here.   ;D

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2021, 07:23:49 PM »
A few pies I made today from a batch of dough 2 days ago.  0.08% CY. 24hr Cold bulk, 10hr bulk @ 74f,  8hr ball @ 72f.

Texture is very light.  Slightly less crisp than I was getting with the Kitchen Aid but definitely more tender. I'm not complaining.  The first few bites the pies almost dissolve in your mouth.  Just a slight chew to the rim if any.  Had my 11 yo daughter help us eat and we ate 4 small pizzas.  Almost all the bones were eaten up.  I usually toss them if they aren't amazing.  I'm loving this mixer!!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 07:25:28 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2021, 09:11:52 PM »
A few pies I made today from a batch of dough 2 days ago. 

Carbon Kitchen oven? Great looking pizza.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2021, 09:18:56 PM »
I'm loving this mixer!!

That is awesome news and these are beautiful pizzas.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 11:28:30 PM by scott r »

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2021, 09:38:34 PM »
Spiral mixers are the best. Ok those double arm dive stretch things are cool too

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2021, 10:05:18 PM »
Just under 19 hours for me, but my back is so crappy right now I'd never make it!!! How bout you bringing some to me and you could do a temp assignment up here and work the anesthesia for my upcoming surgery?!?! Help a poor cripple brah!!!🤣
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2021, 01:44:17 PM »
Carbon Kitchen oven? Great looking pizza.

Yes and Thank you Bill.  The last few bakes comparing the Carbon oven to the WFO, I have preferred the result and bake of the Carbon over the WFO.  Temps are much easier to control allowing me to dial in a specific bake time of around 70s, giving me much more consistent results.  The Carbon is more than good enough for me to hang up the WFO for now.  I will revisit WFO bakes after I have settled in on a process and formula.   

That is awesome news and these are beautiful pizzas.

Thank you and thank you for the information and advice leading upto the purchase.  Looking forward to your results with the new breaker bar as well.  Please keep me posted. 

Spiral mixers are the best. Ok those double arm dive stretch things are cool too

I have always been very intrigued by the diving arm mixer.  Maybe one day we will see a small sized one appropriate for home use.  I would buy one for sure.  I have searched off and on over the years without any luck. 

Just under 19 hours for me, but my back is so crappy right now I'd never make it!!! How bout you bringing some to me and you could do a temp assignment up here and work the anesthesia for my upcoming surgery?!?! Help a poor cripple brah!!!🤣

Jon, I am sorry to hear that your back has been bothering you.  Sending positive thoughts for your upcoming surgery.  If we were in the same city and hospital I would surely do your anesthetic and make you pizza during your recovery!  100%

Thanks guys for the encouragement and motivation.  The experiments will continue.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2021, 02:31:42 PM »
For tomorrow's bake I am repeating the same dough as above with a small tweak.  Because this mixer makes a softer and more tender dough than my KA, I'll be dropping the lard in my formula by 1% and in doing so also drop the effective hydration (EH) by 1% as well.   For this batch (Batch 1),  the flour, salt, and CY is added to the bowl first, and then ice water poured in incrementally.  I used the reverse mix for 2m at Sp 5, added in the lard, then regular fwd mix at spd 6 for 2min, then spd 9 for 2min, then spd 10 for 4min.  Total time in the bowl is 10m (2m to incorporate the ingredients, and 8m mix time).  My aim here is to make a relative strong dough.  Finishing Dough temp is 79F.  The dough was balled and rested 10m at RT.  I applied a few gentled palm kneads and rounded up the dough ball.  The dough is stronger than the previous dough from 7/6/21 (of which the pizzas are posted in the previous post)

I am also running a secondary test (Batch2) with the same dough formula but with a much different mixing regimen.   After talking with several members about the DM dough recently (Steve0124, Jsaras, ScottR), I decided to try and do a mixing regimen closer to theirs.  I also am interested to see if I can overmix a dough in this new mixer.   I also want to see how overmixing affects the dough and crumb with this new mixer compared to the Kitchen Aide.  The longest I have mixed in the KA is 15m and in doing so I get a strong dough.  It gives a crispy rim post bake but also a tough crumb as it cools.

For Batch 2, I decided to add in all of the water (minus the ice cubes that hadn't melted yet), followed by all the flour, salt, and CY.  I mixed the entire time on sp 4.  The goal was to see how long it would take to develop as strong of a dough as Batch 1 but only using a slower speed.  I added the remaining ice cubes in one at a time very slowly, with the last one going into the bowl at the 15m mark.  At the 18m mark the DT is 77F and I decided to stop the mix temporarily to cool the dough and bowl in the fridge for 5m.  I mixed another 4 min after that and had to cool the dough and bowl once again.  Another 3 min of mixing and the dough was done at 25m.   At this point, the small batch of dough was mostly climbing the mixing arm and mostly bypassing the breaker bar (picture below).  This is an indication that the dough is really strong.  Very much like in the KA, when the dough begins to wrap itself around the mixing arm and separate from the bowl. 

The finishing DT is 79F and the dough removed and quickly balled.  The appearance at this point is fairly smooth (pic 2).  The dough was rested in the cooler for 20m (DT 75F) and a few gentle palm kneads and the dough rounded.  I noted the dough to be stark white, strong and very smooth.  (pic 3).

Pic 4 shows the underside of the dough ball after the 20m rest and reball.  I wanted to show how strong the dough is and how it resists sealing at the seam.

Hoping that I don't get stuck at work tomorrow and can have another successful bake.  It will be interesting to compare the look and texture of the 2 doughs before and after baking. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 06:28:31 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2021, 04:13:15 PM »
You are making me want to spend some money.
1. new mixer
2. Carbon oven

Question - have you any experience with the PP Ardore for NP pies, and if so, how does it compare to the carbon?

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2021, 04:13:36 PM »
IMO, the 2nd dough is seriously overmixed, but it looks nice and smooth and dry.

Looking forwards to the results and your opinion!
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline loch

« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2021, 04:26:40 PM »
1. new mixer
2. Carbon oven

Question - have you any experience with the PP Ardore for NP pies, and if so, how does it compare to the carbon?

I'm sitting here thinking the same thing! I've been to the PH Grain page every day.
https://pleasanthillgrain.com/shop-by-brand/famag

A very educational thread and I appreciate the tutorials from Jackie Tran and all the others with spiral mixing experience. Thanks for sharing all of your experiences and great pictures!

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2021, 04:32:37 PM »
I like that you are deliberately overmixing, exploring the range of mixing that can be done and evaluating them. I think going into both extremes of something helps us better understand what is going on and how to dial in what we really are looking for, which might not be the same as someone else. If the first person found their holy grail and everyone else copied it, we wouldnít get anywhere. You seem to have an open mind and not worry about failing, and that experience is golden.

Experimenting just out of curiosity and not necessarily expecting to find something amazing.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline lennyk

« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2021, 07:58:12 PM »
I have had an IM8s for a few months now and pretty much same positive experience as yours.

Personally I like an overfermented dough and I find with this mixer the dough is still manageable and not falling apart.
Easy to stretch but not flopping out of my hands.

I used a KA and later a DLX for years. It was a quantum leap.

Your idea of overmixing is a good one and I will probably do that soon to see what happens.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2021, 08:02:11 PM »
1. new mixer
2. Carbon oven

If you can swing it, I think they are worthwhile in the long run.   They both should last a long time. 

I have the Pizza Party Pizzone wfo and don't have any experience with the Adore.   I hear it is a good oven.  I don't think you could go wrong with it.  Gas ovens tend to be easier and quicker to learn and master compared to a wfo.  Hopefully the members who have one can chime in. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 08:29:50 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2021, 08:18:12 PM »
I'm sitting here thinking the same thing! I've been to the PH Grain page every day.
https://pleasanthillgrain.com/shop-by-brand/famag

A very educational thread and I appreciate the tutorials from Jackie Tran and all the others with spiral mixing experience. Thanks for sharing all of your experiences and great pictures!

Dave

Dave, if you or anyone else is seriously considering this mixer, do not overlook the Sunmix mixer.   I did choose this because of the tilting head option.  I will say these mixers are easy to clean even with the non titling head and non removeable bowl option.   Maybe Jack and a few others can speak on their experience with their Sunmix. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 08:24:09 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2021, 11:24:43 PM »
I bought the sunmix6 for about $1500, you get 10% off if you order. Itís a great machine and I highly recommend it. The bowl is wider as compared to the griletta.
The cleaning is not a problem, but you canít remove the bowl or move the head though. I donít think thatís a disadvantage because the bowl is easy to access and wiping out the bowl takes about 5 min at max.
Iíve never worked with a griletta, but I believe they are comparable and both very popular amongst hobby bakers.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2021, 08:27:29 PM »
Got some interesting results on today's test mix.  Batch 2 was the more interesting one, so we will discuss that one.  Batch 2 is the one I mixed for 25 minutes on a moderately low speed of 4.  This test was to test 2 things.  1) to see how long I could mix a dough and if that would have an effect on the dough and pies.  2) see if I could (loosely replicate) DM's mixing method.  DM uses a slow turning fork mixer and mixes somewhere in the ball park of 30-40m. 
My tester dough was mixed for a total of 25m.  I am using KA AP flour at a hydration of 58% + 2% lard.  The dough was fermented for a total of 20h at 70f, and proofed 10hr at 70f.  The dough was rested for 20m after mixing and I didew gentle palm kneads and a reball prior to bulking.   The balls proofed up high and round as expected and upon opening I could tell the doughballs were really strong.  They resisted opening evenly and I even tore 2 little holes trying to get the 2nd  skin thin, pic below.   I baked 2 marinara pies in my Carbon oven at 60s each.   The crumb was surprisingly not tough or chewy even after the pies rested and cooled.   
I also moistened the surface of one flattened doughball with a spray bottle and baked it with a small flame and was able to induce a bit of leoparding. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 08:36:05 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2021, 09:16:37 PM »
Chau,

I challenge you to a shootout: spiral vs. fork. Same ingredients, same ratios, protocols, same ovens, different mixers.