A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sclafani Tomatoes  (Read 405 times)

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Sclafani Tomatoes
« on: October 12, 2021, 10:48:41 AM »
So I posted the weekend before last about my find of a #10 can of Sclafani tomatoes for only $1.99. I just opened them up this morning, and here are my initial impressions: the flavor is good overall, with a touch of brightness and a pretty fresh tomato flavor, but maybe not quite up there with the freshest tasting I've ever had. The body and mouthfeel is excellent, and thus far, I don't feel the need to do anything to them at all to improve them in that area. I think they should spread on the pizza I'm going to make in about an hour with no issues. I kept my seasoning very conservative, and added about a half teaspoon of coarse sea salt, about the same amount of Calabrian dried oregano, and half a clove of crushed garlic. I know this is a popular brand for pizza sauce, and I've been wanting to try them for years. I'll find out in a little while how they taste on a finished pizza, but I think they'll work great. Does anything I said ring true or not true with seasoned Sclafani tomato users?
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Sclafani Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 02:47:46 PM »
Iíd say familiar rather than true or not true. So much of this stuff is personal preference. Hope you enjoy them.
-Tony

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 03:13:55 PM »
Iíd say familiar rather than true or not true. So much of this stuff is personal preference. Hope you enjoy them.
I was trying numerous different new things on todayís pizza, and as a whole, the pizza was not quite satisfying, but I liked the sauce just fine. I donít know if it would replace my favorite brand, which is Mutti. But I definitely like them more than most that Iíve tried.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Monkeyboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 09:23:23 AM »
I went thru a case of Sclafani - really enjoyed it.  Previously used Cento and a few other store brand San Marzanos. 

With all - I keep it simple, kosher salt + dried oregano + some general pizza seasoning mix.  No cook.

Just ordered another case of Sclafani and a big can of Tomato Magic to see if any big taste difference.

I do like the Sclafani whirred for a second in the Ninja first though.

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 11:26:39 AM »
I went thru a case of Sclafani - really enjoyed it.  Previously used Cento and a few other store brand San Marzanos. 

With all - I keep it simple, kosher salt + dried oregano + some general pizza seasoning mix.  No cook.

Just ordered another case of Sclafani and a big can of Tomato Magic to see if any big taste difference.

I do like the Sclafani whirred for a second in the Ninja first though.
I think you'll taste a difference for sure, although I can't say which you'll prefer. The Sclafani tomatoes don't have any citric acid added, while Stanislaus tomatoes always do. That acidic twang is the first thing I notice, and I can sometimes find it a bit distracting. I think the Sclafani tomatoes are also a little less chunky. That's a pretty good pairing for comparison. Overall I like the Sclafani tomatoes better myself, but I still like the Tomato Magic product quite a bit.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress