A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Dredging the Dough Balls  (Read 193 times)

Offline triplejjj

• I Love Pizza!
Dredging the Dough Balls
« on: November 09, 2021, 10:03:17 AM »
Hi all,
 I normally dredge my dough balls in Semolina or Semola before shaping my pizza pies, I'm wondering
is it safe to save it for future use or should I throw it away? I always have a good amount leftover.

tia
jjj

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Dredging the Dough Balls
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 10:43:36 AM »
If your dough balls have excessive surface moisture or oil, your bench flour can form clumps which I would not want to find their way in future bakes.  This is why I use oil very sparingly, if at all, to coat the dough balls.  Everything seems to work out better this way, at least for me.  I don't use a ton of bench flour, unless I am making a high hydration dough.  I sift whatever is left over and keep this in a separate container and add new flour as necessary.  I've never noticed any mold growth in this container and whatever pathogens might make their way to the oven will reach their thermal death point during the bake.  The department of health may have other thoughts on the matter.

Rolls   
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 10:52:37 AM by Rolls »
Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in a green box!   - Chef Jean-Pierre

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 10:59:29 AM »
I just use an amount sufficient for what I am baking and toss the excess away. Don't want to keep potential contaminated food lying around to attract bugs, etc.

Offline triplejjj

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 03:23:12 PM »
I just use an amount sufficient for what I am baking and toss the excess away. Don't want to keep potential contaminated food lying around to attract bugs, etc.

Thanks all, going forward I'm just going to put a minimal amount on a plate and dispose of when done for peace of mind and safety.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress