A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Learning process with the Maximus Prime  (Read 803 times)

Offline BinATX

Learning process with the Maximus Prime
« on: July 12, 2021, 01:52:10 PM »
2nd run of my Maximus Prime. I love the oven but have a ton to learn. The goals were testing and variety, so I made 10 pizzas - no repeats. Used some ingredients that Iíve tried before in the Ooni like potatoes, anchovies, goat cheese, etc. But also for the first time put 2 eggs on top of one, and finally made a marinara - obvious version way overdue.

Need to work on:
- Dough - Iím not too concerned here. Iíve had it where I want it with the Ooni but took shortcuts this time.
- Fire management - This is the big issue. First, I know the logs Iím using are too big. Beyond that Iím trying to read through old posts on here to get an idea of how many coals to create and their ideal positioning. Add a log for top flame before each bake? Also searching the archives for any opinions on using an andiron / firewood holder. The pizzas cooked, but Iím guessing thereís an efficient way to manage the fire that I need to learn.
- Small stuff: I have to keep that pepperoni from sliding around - haha - I donít make them very often.

Iíll keep searching for posts on fire management. Any extra help with that and the andiron / firewood holder question would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline BinATX

Re: Learning process with the Maximus Prime
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 11:07:29 PM »
4th run of the Maximus Prime, and I got 60-90 second bakes out of it this time. I used thinner strips of wood (bought a kindling cracker) and spread the coals more evenly. Had the floor easily over 800 for the first few pizzas. Lost a little heat by the time I got to the regular Margherita below and didnít want to add much more wood, so the bake time increased from 60 seconds to 90.

What I will work on next:

- Dough: I need to choose a high gluten flour. I just used store-brand organic bread flour and vwg on these. Iíd like to purchase an unbleached / unbromated high gluten flour. Any preferences between Sir Lancelot and All Trumps would be appreciated. Iíve searched the forum but not sure yet if thereís a strong feeling one way or the other. Or, maybe I should go with Caputo blue.
- Flour on the bottom: I was a little worried about upping the hydration to 65% so I used too much flour to avoid sticking.
- Fire management: still not sure if I should try an andiron or grate. Also, Iím thinking about giving the spartifiamma a shot one of these times to help keep the coals contained but I worry about losing too much heat as it doesnít have holes in it.

Honestly, I think I kind of preferred the overall taste of the 2 minute bakes over these. But I have to address the issues above to be certain.

Iím continuing this thread in case someone is looking for user experiences with the Prime, as I was not too long ago.

Thanks,
B

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 03:26:20 AM »
 Looks like you have a good grasp on cooking in the Maximus oven. Your pizzas looks great. I ran low this weekend on caputo blue and had to use blue and bread flour for a batch of dough. I liked the results a lot . I had to bake a little cooler, but the pizzas were very good.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 08:43:41 PM by thezaman »

Offline BinATX

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 08:03:03 AM »
Looks like you have a good grasp on cooking in the Maximus oven. Your pizzas looks great. I ran low this week end on caputo blue and had to use blue and bread flour for a batch of dough. I liked the results a lot . I had to bake a little cooler, but the pizzas were very good.

Thank you. Iím really enjoying the oven but definitely have a lot of fine tuning left to do. Sounds like you happened upon a combination you might use again. Maybe Iíll start with the blue and then move on to compare it to the Lancelot and All Trumps since those will be in much larger quantities. Thanks for the response!

Offline Pandasbecats

• Peepers Neapolitan: 2021-Present
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 12:34:49 PM »
Nice to see some Maximus experience here, doesn't seem like it's too popular on the forum. Have you had any problems with scorched bottoms with your 800+ floor temps?

Might prefer the 2 min bake because of the type of flour you're using
Pizza Party Pizzone
Pizza Party Red 70x70
Pizza Party Ardore
American Metalcraft wood peel
GI Metal Azzurra 8" turning peel

Offline BinATX

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 08:39:56 PM »
Nice to see some Maximus experience here, doesn't seem like it's too popular on the forum. Have you had any problems with scorched bottoms with your 800+ floor temps?

Might prefer the 2 min bake because of the type of flour you're using

It would be nice to hear more from other Prime or Arena owners about their experiences. I chose mine because it appeared to be the closest I could get to a Pizza Party after the decision to halt shipping to the US. Iíd imagine others have purchased one, or are going to, for the same reason, so maybe theyíll offer their takes on the brand soon.

When I had the floor around 835, it was definitely approaching my personal taste limit for charring on the bottom - I prefer a minimal amount. I think I could have prevented this in a couple of ways: doming the pizza about 5-10 seconds earlier and using far less flour when stretching out each dough ball. I know the stock bricks are a limitation but not one forcing me to look for alternatives yet.

I think you might be right about the flour. Just received an order of Caputo Blue today to test that theory out soon.

Thanks for the response. Iím really enjoying my research and conversations on this forum - and the pizza experiments too.

Offline BinATX

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 09:25:55 PM »
The Caputo Blue made a huge difference. Had the floor even hotter this time (hit 900 for one) and the same 60-90 second bake times, but didnít have to fight against scorching like last time. Also helped that I used less flour for pressing out each dough, even though I upped the hydration to 67%. Another key was turning the pizza in place - man, I need to improve my turning skills though.

These were SD starter - 24hr bulk CF and 17 balled CF. Might drop hydration back down to 65 next time or add another day to the process as the last ones got a little tougher to manage.

To work on next:
- Timing the turns and turning in general. I want to get that even bake all around.
- Maybe compare the SD mix with my old process - active dry, poolish, scrap dough.
- A new challenge - biga possibly?

Offline peakpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 10:10:32 PM »
Itís great to receive some feedback on the Maximus.  I am contemplating getting an Arena version of the oven and was very curious how the stock refractory tiles/bricks react to cooking high temp pizzas.  One thing I keep wondering in regards to the floor, is could the scorching be mitigated by using a higher hydration dough or a flour with a lower protein content?
What is the usual heat up time for your prime oven? Have you tried baking bread or any other items in your oven?

wordpress