A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Australia- King Arthur AP flour equivalent?  (Read 156 times)

Offline Pizzan00b

• I Love Pizza!
Australia- King Arthur AP flour equivalent?
« on: August 15, 2022, 10:13:52 PM »
Hi everyone, Iím a newbie with no experience (besides an appetite and in interest in good pizza) and would love to learn how to make a great NYC style pizza at home.
I recently got a plate of steel cut and just finished seasoning it, collected all the other necessary equipment (waiting for my peel to arrive) and have read the Joe Rosenthal article many a time. 

As from what Iíve read King Arthur AP flour sounds like the most ideal flour to be using for NYC style.
Can anyone tell me what brands in Australia are the closest equivalent, or what should I be looking for in terms of protein content and type of wheat that is used?

From what Iíve seen all the bags at coles and Woolworths (Australiaís biggest chains of supermarkets) donít specify this information in as much detail as the King Arthur label, besides a few mentioning unbleached.
Has anyone in Australia had success with any of the brands available from here?

Any information would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 10:19:57 PM by Pizzan00b »

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
Re: Australia- King Arthur AP flour equivalent?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 12:06:48 PM »
 ??? Coles and Woolies flour nutrition labels are much easier to understand than the KA label, IMO.

Having said that, the KAAP is around 11.7% protein, is made from unbleached hard red wheat, and has malted barley flour in it.
Finding that might be difficult here in Oz, especially from a supermarket.
We don't grow a lot of red wheat, and you don't see a lot of malted flours.

Most Aussie plain wheat flour sits at 10-11% protein (it;s on the labels), and from what I gather NYC style pizza is the one style that isn't good enough for.
But, you are in luck - Coles sell Laucke's Wallaby Bakers Flour which runs 11.9% protein.

Since it isn't malted, you'll probably need some sugar or something to get the same sort of browning KAAP might give you.
I've never bothered, videos of NYC style sometimes show the crust being a bit on the "bready" side for my tastes, and in any case I've got no yardstick since I've never traveled to New York for the real deal.

BTW, I note your favourite venue is Pizzeria Da Leo. If you mean the one in Perth WA, they don't actually have NYC style on the menu on Facebook?

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 12:14:24 PM by wotavidone »
Mick

Offline Pizzan00b

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Australia- King Arthur AP flour equivalent?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 10:13:40 PM »

BTW, I note your favourite venue is Pizzeria Da Leo. If you mean the one in Perth WA, they don't actually have NYC style on the menu on Facebook?

Yeah thatís the one, theyíre a Napoletana style pizzeria, dank pizza also does an excellent one. My favourite style is nyc based off videos and Instagram posts Iíve been obsessed with ha, the only nyc style pizzeria here is a place called Mack daddyís, but their quality has declined since itís opening and I wouldnít call it any good now. Besides Napoletana style Iíve only really come across Roman and whatever youíd call an Aussie suburban pizza style in Perth.

Thanks for your advice on the flour! I wasnít sure if I was reading the label correctly (again, newbie with no clue) but Iíll check that one out. Cheers

A D V E R T I S E M E N T